Verata Bosque

Started by Easy To Remember, October 15, 2019, 10:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Easy To Remember

[hide=Application (can't recall if this version was the draft I submitted)]
QuoteVerata Bosque, tiefling, 20, lawful evil, lifestealer sorcerer (martial prof, throwing axes and greataxe)

Requesting tiefling, local member of the Butchers.

-Biography
A devil-blooded consequence of seams and mortals intermingling, Verata's gang enforcer mother, a feared Butcher in profession and reputation both, raised her rather than disposed of her because of little more than a gallows humor laugh at the sight of baring a daughter born with cloven feet. An affectionless childhood of callouses, bruises, threshing meat that reminds her of herself and avoiding the freak-mocking gaze of parent and strangers alike resulted in a coldy embittered young woman who displays fiendish flesh withering magic and a talent for cleavers started young in her "Service to the Krown."

-Goals
Verata will serve as a frequent recruiter for the Butchers. Deadpan and blunt, she will quickly single out those she deems to have potential and attempt to force a backroom conversation on the matter, especially when it comes to unaffiliated Ticker residents who demonstrate a readiness to feud with Orzans, at the Dispensary and otherwise. She will often push for Ticker residents who openly mock the Butchers to face a backally subdual beating rather than being murdered in the street or the like, though repeat offenders, and anyone deemed to have ties to Orza, will see far less leeway. An auxilary goal will be pressing for a Ticker Square less willing to gleefully trade with Peers, as Verata will be often disgusted by merchants willing to sell to folks who were mocking them moments ago.

-Personality
Direct orders from Krown or his lieutenants will be followed with a single-minded severity that may often be excessively dedicated, Verata's sense of worth defined by her usefulness, as she feels she has to live up to her late mother's brutal shadow while forever certain she's considered lesser for being less human than she was, whether or not evidence dictates otherwise. Her personal evil is one of familial obligation to the Butchers, a lack of any other learned behavior, and violence and duty being in her devilish blood. Outside of direct orders there are times when she'd suffer from a subconscious soft spot for outcasts and freaks that remind her of herself... and in turn a much crueller hand raised towards those who remind her of her mother.

-Player Intentions
I aim to spur activity with an interesting, intimidating faction that currently has little player representation, hoping that I can encourage more. I'm also interested in enjoying the challenge of portraying a City local, while also forcing myself to embrace a more openly conflict driving character and earning some broader PvP experience as a player. In addition to this, frankly, I enjoy the idea of a prominent member of the Butchers having cloven feet.

It's pretty possible she'll die within moments, though! Thanks for reading!
[/hide]

[hide=Verata's Wanted Poster, by happybot/Waffles][/hide]

After Lori, Verata was an attempt to get as far away from my usual good-aligned character wheelhouse as possible. I dislike when people treat past hardship and cruelty they've experienced as an excuse to be cruel to others in turn, so someone who did so constantly was what I aimed to depict. She was genuinely utterly commit to Krown, and genuinely hurt every time a Butcher died or she couldn't see a debt to someone she respected repaid, but beyond that Verata was a cruel, self-loathing bully who eventually started hiding behind a veneer of professionalism and politeness.

I had intended for her to always be loyal henchman material to whatever PC happened to be calling the shots in the Butchers; she was a grumpy broody enforcer whose one goal was a word of praise from Krown, a perceived father figure after a childhood partly spent in the barracks. But as Verata narrowly, luckily, survived through four dead PC lieutenants and ended up the only remaining veteran Butcher quite a few times, she took to underhanded leadership during the competition with the Stonebuilders over the defense contract for Ticker Square and eventually earned that word of praise.

All in all, I'd say her biggest accomplishment was her very underhanded, criminal part in helping the Butchers to supplant the Stonebuilders as the defenders of Ticker Square. But the moment she took the most triumph in would be Krown coming to trust her to the point of effectively betting his soul against Ib'javi that she wouldn't betray him. And she didn't, not even when it meant her own soul being taken instead. A fun bittersweetness, not only were the shards she'd bartered for stolen, Verata's last briefing to the Butchers was "If I return intact from being collected by Ib'avi, don't trust me anymore." And when she did return, they didn't, Krown included.

By the end, Verata was wanted dead by Arbiters, Nephezar, Stonebuilders and briefly Ib'javi. Early survival was thanks to luck, only one bounty to deal with and strong protective allies, while late survival was then thanks to being very kitted out and high level. I'm still not very skilled at PvP, but I believe I at least know enough now to not make a fool of myself on future characters, even without ridiculous gorilla strength vaporizing enemies on impact.

I think there's a few things I could have done better playing a villain, but it was a super fun ride start to finish and a good learning experience. Unfortunately, though, I'm still awful at remembering to take cool scenic screenshots in time and there's this big gap where I didn't get many screenshots of the folks she ran with for the bulk of her existence: Clovis Knotwise, Sunwela Alvarez and Alexander Tallstag kept her alive and were seen as family, while Maldon Kirkland bankrolled her, spied for her and was seen as her only friend outside the Butchers.

[Hide=Screenshots]

[Hide=Early Days][/hide]

[Hide=A Debt Settled][/hide]

[Hide=Definitely Not Rigged][/hide]

[Hide=Sunny And Verata][/hide]

[Hide=Meeting][/hide]

[Hide=The Deal][/hide]

[Hide=Collection Day][/hide]

[Hide=Tallstag's Death][/hide]

[Hide=Last Words][/hide][/hide]

[hide=Loot]
Earned by kidnapping High Thaumaturge Eryeth Cotte, with Santiago Lopez as distraction, and trading her for Adrian Winespill's helmet. Krown had placed a bounty on the Velstran family heirloom, and the promise to return it was later used at Verata's suggestion to convince Adrian to help the Butchers take one of the defense contract votes.
[Hide=Mother's Blessings (Pigadig)] [/hide]

Earned by kidnapping Royal Inquisitor Ciraco, who Krown had a live capture bounty on. This attack succeeded entirely thanks to Sunwela Alvarez who got recruited and given a new leg by Krown for her help.
[Hide=Pain Barrier (Pigadig)][/hide]

Earned after work for Silas Sparrowbroth, during an unusual Butcher / Elves alliance she doubled down on, to bring him a rare wine and secure a vote. When I was asked what slot I'd like, I thought I'd be cheeky and say "boots", figuring I'd see horseshoes or a different slot all together. Instead, the result was amusing jinglebell anklets like a reindeer, with very cool flavor.
[Hide=Ankle-bells of the Dancing Dead (Dillusionist)][/hide]

"The mindfucked wizard that made it screwed it up and everything that comes out tastes like shit. But you should have the strongest stomach of any of us, eh? Heh." - Solomon Krown
[Hide=Tiny Doorway to a Meat-filled Seam (Dillusionist)] [/hide][/hide]

[Hide=Build][/hide]

[Hide=Dumb Jokes and Silly Stuff]           [/hide]

[Hide=...][/hide]

Random_White_Guy

Sadly while we never got things to play out when I was on Khaum It was great fun having our long distance strife when I was playing Lou.

While i'm not typically a fan of Hub-Monsters you brought a degree of representation to the Butchers that pushed things to another level of conflict as you gave a blatant and public presence showing just how far Ticker Square has fallen from grace and chance for the Peers, Arbiters, and more to all have someone to bird-dog.

Playing a villain, especially your first villain on EFU is never easy but it's something I always recommend everyone try once.

Bravo.
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

Poolson

I have a few to add, but I also suck at taking screenshots. You really were johnny on the spot with providing that mafia atmosphere to the Butchers and Verata was a worthy replacement to Royland Blacks as mob boss. The Butchers are a drastically different beast from when you entered it and when you left it. Even long after this characters' departure, her effect on the Butchers'll be long standing.

You did good, champ.

[hide=Marenus Walters' sass goes awry][/hide]

[hide=A dispensary unlike the others.][/hide]

[hide=A terrible trio, built by friendship, tempered in blood, cooled with regret.][/hide]

[hide=Consorting with foul powers.][/hide]

[hide=Another day, another dispensary. Krown paid for men to get the goods and the Butchers never failed to deliver.][/hide]

Blue41

The motivation behind going to the Feast for Varga was- hey, maybe I can find something to help make killing Verata a possibility. Seeing Krown under ib'javis thumb was more important than the rewards and I laughed out loud when I saw the whisper for the new bounty. We didn't play as much as I would've liked but it was fun brawling in the square with you. And it's really cool that you got a proper sendoff- most villains can't expect more than quietly disappearing in the wilds.  RIP Buck.

Aethereal

Verata's story was one I could only watch on from afar - thanks for sharing the tale with me from time to time! I did enjoy our early interactions though when Aethelwine was still happy to help almost anyone with magic... and even did a bit of work on a séance for Verata contacting her mother's spirit. You've done great, thrusting yourself into a completely different side of the server and had just as much of an impact as Lori had, just in a different way. (Also well done earning the negative energy flame weapon ;))
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

It is through Art, and through Art only, that we can realise our perfection.

grapeshot

Wow, nice work! Can't wait to see what you do next!

Johnny Rustbucket, Esq.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Octarine

A pleasure to play with Verata, and be one of the only long lasting friendships that Maldon had.

I am terribly excited to see what comes next from you.

MAGIC

Another A+ character from ETR.

I wish I had been more involved with the character directly.

Pandip

Really iconic from afar and a treat the few times I got to meet her!

goate

I think I saw Verata a total of about four brief times , but the tales of her exploits were inescapable .    She brought a lot of flavor to the server and will be missed.

cmenden

I wish I got to interact with her more on Anemone, but I loved the interactions I did get!

Thanks for the cool flavorful PC :)

TheShadow

SOUP! :( You know I love your pc's. You're a great player.
Forever in the Shadows, yearning for the Light.

Autarch

Sad to see another awesome character go. What few interactions I managed to have were great and always great fun to watch from afar.

And some of the last things Verata said to Annie was don't go dying now or something. Should've taken her own advice :'(

Looking forward to what comes next.

Knight Of Pentacles

You're a good player.  Can't wait to see your next.