Author Topic: Coriander's Guide to Invocation  (Read 506 times)

spice mage

• View Profile
on: October 18, 2019, 08:57:07 PM
Volume I: Fire

Even before I opened my eyes, I knew something was wrong. I was cold. No. More than that, I was soaked. My ears were ringing, and as the ringing began to subside, I realized someone was speaking to me.

My eyes flew open suddenly. I realized three truths at the exact same time.

One, I could understand the speaker, yet not place the accent.
Two, I was tangled in what I presume was a fishing net, covered in horrible smelling water.
Three, thrash as I might, I wouldn't be able to free myself from the net by my own strength.

I told him to release me at once from the net. He laughed, and made a joke about my height, saying that I should be able to squeeze through the holes in the net.

I attempted to free myself, drawing upon the limited power that I had at my disposal. My voice was hoarse from the near drowning, but I could still speak the words. My fingers were cold and stiff, but could still make the gestures.

Even an apprentice Evoker could summon forth a bolt of fire to burn away the ropes.

Still, the words were just speech, and the gestures silly hand waving, without the force of will behind them, the intent to cast a spell.

I reached for the Weave, precisely as Iíd been taught, and found nothing. I despaired, struggling against the net, and feared that I would be broken by this bondage, forever the guest of this strangely accented man, forever living inside this net, maybe I would be cooked along with the sludge and fish, or end up in some sort of horrible stew.

I continued to reach, with my mind, until I felt something to grasp onto. Suddenly, power coursed through me, and I found new gestures and new words. The rope caught fire immediately, and the conflagration rose up as tall as a man of significant height.

My rescuer fled from the sight, and I didnít see him again. An old woman came to me, attracted by the glow from the flames, arriving as the spell ended and I brushed charred rope bits away from my now-dry clothes. She asked me if I knew what had caused the fire.

I lied, saying that I did not, and then she smiled warmly at me. She appeared relieved, and her next words were kind.

"Welcome to Ring 100"
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 08:37:33 PM by spice mage »

spice mage

• View Profile
on: October 21, 2019, 10:05:59 PM
I spent a number of days in Ring 100, doing light work in exchange for food, a place to sleep, and getting my clothes patched up. (Where did these clothes come from? Why can I remember that my name is Coriander and that I had a younger sister, yet I canít remember her name?)

Some memories came back as I rested, ate with, and asked questions of the friendly and less-than-friendly denizens of this Ring. Others did not.

I felt camaraderie growing between them and myself, but I met no mages and no scholars, only scavengers and simple folk, eking out a meager existence. It was survival, nothing more, and I grew bored quickly.

I decided to move on.

The puzzle was simple and I figured it out immediately. I returned to those that I had spent the majority of my time with. I asked them to come with me, to leave this Ring of garbage and fetid water behind, to join me in the next one. Those familiar with the next Ring had made it clear that it was a vast improvement over the rubble scrounging and questionable stews of this one.

They turned away from me. I saw many of them make a gesture that in time here, I had come to understand was a ward against bad luck.

Luck is a powerful force in this City. It is spoken of with a reverence that was reserved for the gods in my home, yet I canít assume that it is purely superstitious nonsense passed via word-of-mouth from one generation to the next. There is a reason they act and feel this way, and I hoped that I would find out more in the next Ring.

I entered Ring 99, and had barely acquainted myself with its people and places, similar to Ring 100 in appearance largely, yet different in one significant way, the friendliness of the people. On my first day there, I crossed the Kingís Commons quietly, attempting to mind my own business, when a dwarf knocked me to the ground with his weapon.

At his mercy, I spoke quickly, informing him that I had only just arrived, and didnít know the ways of this place. He bid me to rise and get to Ticker Square if I knew what was good for me. His words were commanding, and anything but kind.

I did as he asked, hurrying to the Open Door Inn that I had only just arranged to stay at for the night. I swiftly packed my small bag of possessions I had brought with me, planning to depart this Ring in haste. I had reached Ring 99, and it was anything but welcoming.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 06:22:28 AM by spice mage »

spice mage

• View Profile
on: October 24, 2019, 06:22:18 AM
Ring 98 was a horrible place.

It smelled awful, a smell of horrible rotting garbage, humanoid waste, and worse. The odor brought to mind the dens of humanoid monsters. If Ring 99 was a place of feverish desperation and violence, full of bandits, gladiators, and adventurers, then Ring 98 by contrast was where the exiled and defeated came to live out their remaining days in squalor, barely even alive.

I was determined to cross swiftly, but reached a locked ring door to Ring 97 with no evident way to continue. I returned to Ring 99, headed to the Peerage Ward, and settled into the Spinning Groat, planning for a long stay.

I went unnoticed among the Peerageís residents for days. Whether traveler or resident myself, they didnít know or care, and that was fine. I enjoyed the quiet that a life of pure anonymity could bring. I would listen to their conversations, or wander abroad throughout the Ring when I grew bored.

It was during these wanderings that I happened to meet Adhiratha Sovalye, a man of golden eyes, a stern bearing, and the first person to engage me, to truly intrigue me, since I arrived in this City.

We had spoken of teachers, responsible mage craft, and his homesickness. We fought together against the forces of a horrific necromancer who prayed upon my love of animals and his homesickness to lure us into a trap alongside others.

It was in a life or death situation that I would chance to grab a feather totem from the body of a fallen foe, activating it blindly, only to find myself face to face with a spirit of the dead.

Later, on a different day, I find myself facing him once more, now Arbiter Sovalye, and he's thrusting a confession at me, ordering me to sign it. The crime was that of conjury, specifically conjuring the spirits of the dead. Ignorance was no excuse under the Scrolls.

The Court Wizard was there, and I looked to him for counsel. He urged me to sign, and so I did.

Arbiter magic placed a gag of stone over my mouth and I was unable to cast spells or even speak. All I could emit was unintelligible muffled noises and even those required straining my voice to be heard. Despite that, it seemed a minor inconvenience at worst, given that the Arbiter said the punishment would only last half a day.

But a lot can happen in half a day.

spice mage

• View Profile
on: October 25, 2019, 04:42:18 PM
I made a huge mistake.

Mel was right, and he really was playing hard to get. The minds of men are perplexing indeed, and I should have listened to Mel. After all, he holds the memories of a man yet is willing to share his insights with all the candor of youth.

I hope Blandley's shop is open, so I can drown myself in nougats and hard candies until I feel better.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 08:35:17 AM by spice mage »

spice mage

• View Profile
on: October 30, 2019, 06:09:26 AM
The purpose of this retrospective is to try to go over my thoughts and feelings, to remember how I felt in these moments since my arrival. Itís a meditative exercise, where I recall what I felt in the moment, process it, and let it go. The concept comes from my training, or at least what I can recall of it, before I arrived in this place. The purpose is to learn how better to control the powerful emotions that, while making me well-suited to the evocation school, must be kept firmly under control if I donít wish my spells to operate in unintended ways.

Evocation is the arcana of true creation, of creating something out of nothing. While conjuration contains a subschool that overlaps with the idea of creation, it is distinctly different in a way I don't entirely understand due to not only being an apprentice, but also possessing limited understanding of conjuration.

Evocation is tied strongly to the emotions of the caster, the created energy directly affected by the evokerís emotional state. A momentary distraction or a painful remembrance can lead to unintentional results at the moment of casting. Key dangers include the spell appearing in the wrong place, the shape being erratic and uncontrolled, or the energy being of the wrong type.

Evocation requires will, focus, and intent. You must start with a will to act, otherwise you are aimless. Focus is how you shape your will into something more than the raw desire to act,  removing the impurities of distraction. And finally, you require intent. If a focused will is the metal, then intent is the blade you forge from the metal. Intent is the finest distillation of will shaped by focus.

This business with the Court Wizard lately has been a failure on my part, and I need to accept that, and hopefully move on. My intent was to receive instruction from the Court Wizard, to learn more of the City from one whose books I admired so much. I had the will, but I didnít keep my focus in the right place.

I should have waited longer before speaking with Magus Ebersol, or I should have accepted Magus Ebersolís offer wholly, and not split my focus to both he and the Court Wizard. It was greedy, and Iím only grateful that Magus Ebersol sought to help me by redirecting my attention to other, non-magical tasks, rather than casting me out of his Tower for my childish behavior.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 08:35:06 AM by spice mage »

spice mage

• View Profile
on: November 02, 2019, 08:40:03 AM
I have other things to do, recipes to study, a text to write, and none of these things have gotten done all because of one infuriating man!
THE ROYAL COURT WIZARD AETHELWINE SILVER.

I have now gone an entire day, unable to concentrate long enough to put pen to paper. Iíve tried sitting by the fire in the bar of the Spinning Groat. I tried sitting behind the beds upstairs in the Spinning Groat. I travelled to the Open Door, and tried sitting in nearly every chair and bench in the place, each time pulling out my notebook, and each time was I thwarted by the memory of his words and his insufferably smug face.

ďDo you think she enjoys causing us misery and making us waste our time like thisĒ
ďYou're quite a lot to handleĒ
ďI have before me someone who has professed to read them allĒ

Insult after insult, barb after barb, aimed at me with a callousness one typically reserves for speaking of a disobedient child. Iíd like to think of myself as fairly thick skinned, but a person can only take so much before she reaches her breaking point, and the Court Wizard seems to have an insatiable thirst for upsetting me.

Magus Ebersol believes that the Court Wizard treats me differently because Iím a woman, that he has trouble engaging with women and possibly just prefers the company of men, finding them easier to speak with. However, the Court Wizard refers to female peers in his works, so I want to believe that isnít the case, even if everything seems to point in that direction.

Additionally, the Court Wizard feigns to care equally for all, and to treat none differently than any other, but it is clearly not the case. He blatantly has some sort of hero complex, seeing himself as the only one important enough to save everyone, that he and he alone is the only one who can find ďthe TruthĒ.

Early in his conversations with Magus Ebersol, I was convinced that he was so conceited that he treated everyone the way he treats me, that because he considers himself the most important person in the universe, all the rest of us are lesser, to be treated with the bare minimum of courtesy, and some of us aren't even deserving of that.

And yet, he clearly showed a respect, even admiration for Magus Ebersol that has been noticeably lacking for others. What is it about Magus Ebersol that makes Aethelwine treat him differently? I may only be an apprentice mage, but I would like to receive a modicum of that respect myself.

All I did was tell Magus Ebersol about the trip because I was excited. I was so happy to see the Tower, to get the tour, and to be given the book, and to get to read it in his chambers. Was that truly such an indiscretion worthy of his disdain? I just wanted to be his apprentice, despite all the things he said and did.

Iím not too much to handle.

spice mage

• View Profile
on: November 04, 2019, 10:12:52 PM
If I had to pick my favorite person in the whole City to spend time with, itíd be Merry Winespill. Her comforting presence and general good cheer helps relieve the tensions that I usually find a constant companion in Ring 99. This is a good thing, but it also can be a bad thing.

While Iím sure that the effects of planar sickness are at least partly to blame, I recently spent a great deal of time with her and some others, time that I started talking and without realizing it, I had said far more than I likely should have.

Iím still mortified over it, and If not for a timely hit upon the top of my head by Magus Ebersol, things would have likely gone even further. I have a number of strong feelings and complicated thoughts, and usually I do an excellent job at keeping them under control, but around Merry, I find myself more effusive than usual.

I donít intend to distance myself from her, but I should take care to be more cautious in the future. The authorianism of this City, the Peerage, the Arbiters, and yes, even the King, I find it all rather chafing, but I donít necessarily need to be so forthwith all the time, especially in mixed company as we were.

Merryís safe, though, Iím sure of it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 02:18:35 AM by spice mage »

spice mage

• View Profile
on: November 05, 2019, 02:16:17 AM
I received a letter from Aethelwine, the Court Wizard, and I want to fix things between us, if possible. Maybe trying to pretend it never happened and move on wasnít the right approach and we need to have a serious discussion as adults.

Somewhat related, Iíve been practicing for a possible duel, and I feel as if the recent surges of anger have allowed me to unlock greater power. Perfect control, on the other hand, remains somewhat out of reach. I have learned all the spells of elemental fire that an apprentice could reasonably expect to (and then some!) but I will still need to resolve my interpersonal issues, and come to peace with living in Ring 99, before I can consider the Gate of Fire to be mastered.

I realized just now that I have never explained the structure of this Guide, something I'll have to rectify later with an edit to the introduction, perhaps. I imagine it likely owes to the fact that I assume only Iíd care to read these words later.

Lacking a suitable Invoker/Evoker to tutor me, I chose to use the ďGates of SufferingĒ by Alrahim Khora as a sort of loose guide. According to the Khora Cycle, the Gate of Mind comes next, which encompasses air, wind, lightning, all those capricious elements I can harness easily but find even harder to control than elemental fire. If fire is the energy of passion, of anger, and the body, then Air is whimsy, humor, and joy, emotions that I find rare, if not impossible to fully experience here in Ring 99.

spice mage

• View Profile
on: November 08, 2019, 07:55:07 PM
Aethelwine and I finally spoke about everything that had happened between us. After his petty arguing with SyrisíSiya in Ticker Square, over whispered words that didnít even concern him, I wasnít expecting things to go well.

Fortunately, he grew more reasonable after we departed her company, and while it may be none of my business, I canít help but hope that he resolves matters with her at some point. Sheís one of the most selfless people in the City, and she brings a unique perspective that I find very intriguing.

She spoke of the possibility that Magus Ebersol is afraid of dueling the Court Wizard, and I confided in her that I was afraid of losing and being unable to leave his service in the way that I would prefer. Magus Ebersol has been a fine instructor and Iíd prefer to leave on his terms, after successfully aiding him in achieving the position, which I still believe he would be best suited for.

Even though I donít want to be ďapprentice to the Court WizardĒ with all the responsibilities and expectations that would come with such a position, I still enjoy my visits to Warrenwatch. The chairs may not be the most comfortable, and theyíre a bit overly large, but I feel what Aethelwine describes when Iím in that Tower.

Thereís a sense that the Tower itself has a will, or possibly a presence, and that if youíre there, itís because it wishes you to be. It's brimming with magic and full of wonderful books and history, yet it is clearly lived-in and has become fundamentally Aethelwine's. It makes me wonder how old it truly is. More to the point, who built it originally? And does it predate the Ring Walls?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 07:58:42 PM by spice mage »

spice mage

• View Profile
on: November 08, 2019, 08:20:20 PM
I discovered how to bake cakes and Iíve made gingerbread cakes and pound cakes and even a caramel apple tart and oh gods I am so full I feel like Iím going to explode and it makes me wonder if I were to explode if thereíd be a big fireball because of all the fire spells I cast.

I have the weirdest feeling right now as I lay here in the Spinning Groat in the big comfy bed trying to feel less full where my whole body is tingling and my hair seems to be moving in an upward direction.

Iíve been experimenting with it as It keeps raising up and trying to reach out and touch my arms as I wave them over my head and the little hairs on my arms try to meet my hair and I saw myself in a mirror and I couldnít stop laughing so hard that I think Iím going to get kicked out of this room for waking the other sleepers.

FASCINATING I just jolted the bed and one of the blankets caught fire and sheís coming over here and Iím definitely getting kicked out but I wanted to record this here before I
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 08:22:03 PM by spice mage »

spice mage

• View Profile
on: November 09, 2019, 09:13:48 AM
Aethelwine changed the rules at the last second. Maybe his reasons were justified, maybe they were out of some sort of kindness to his apprentice Marcille? I just canít understand. If kindness was the point, then why have the duel in the first place? She was never going to be my equal in skill, and she surely deserves better than thisÖ even if she keeps refusing my attempts at kindness.

We had a pointless duel. She agreed to it, likely she felt like she had no choice, and the whole thing made me uncomfortable. I had planned to shield myself and walk her through the basics of what I was doing, but she rushed me with the broom as I had feared she would. Being assailed with a broom by a larger foe is rather nerve wracking, so I decided to end it quickly with a flurry of burning bolts.

Notably, Aethelwine wouldnít let me bring my friend Andy, yet when I arrived at Warrenwatch, there were a number of people there that he had let in to observe. He had them swear oaths to make it okay, but he never even offered Andy the option. Why is that?

They had the stupid coin toss. If ever there was proof that I have learned to control my anger and channel it in positive ways, itís that I didnít throw the stupid coin in their faces and tell them how stupid they were being. A COIN TOSS to determine the Royal Court Wizard.

Fortunately, Magus Ebersol won, so my freedom was assured, and I wonít be required to be shackled as a Retainer. I hope he can help Marcille. Despite everything between Marcille and I, she really is an unfortunate person in a bad situation, and the key difference between Aethelwine and Ebersol is that while the former is content with a captive audience to listen to his lectures, the latter truly does wish to empower people to stand on their own.

I think Magus Ebersol will be good for her, and Iím the happiest Iíve been in ages.

* I got the outcome I wanted from the Certamen even if it was stupid.
* Iím forming a non-machismo-dominated ring running group with Andy and Ally.
* I met a wonderful entertainer by the name of Annette Winespill. (Sheís like a taller, more glamorous version of Merry, and she invited me to her next show!)

End of Volume I: Fire

spice mage

• View Profile
on: November 11, 2019, 08:03:47 PM
The first decree of the new Royal Court Wizard Hawthorne Ebersol was to declare my apprenticeship ended. As I have a thorough understanding of fire elemental energies, I continue forward, now a journeyman mage, and seek mastery over the second of the elements.

Air encompasses lightning, wind, and storms. Its corresponding emotions are joy, happiness, humor, whimsy, and excitement. While I previously wrote about the difficulties of achieving the right mental state to harness and control these energies effectively, the joy of finishing my apprenticeship and truly mastering Fire has gone a long way towards pushing me that last bit forward.

The Untested requested my assistance with their work in Ring 92, and the details need not be committed to paper, because while events were largely exciting and dangerous, I did not feel comfortable using electricity and wind spells to aid, so I fell back to my mastery of fire. We were ultimately successful, and I felt firmly convinced that I needed to spend no further time on the study of fire. My control was flawless.

Afterwards, I returned to the Peerage, hoping to find Andy. I had another encounter with Annette, and she was even more wonderful than I remembered. I could listen to her speak for hours, but Andy wanted to adventure, and I felt bad that I had kept her waiting so long with my task in the further Rings. Still, when Annette looks at me and speaks to me, it makes the tiny hairs on my arms and the back of my neck raise, and I feel as if this warrants further study as the phenomenon is clearly linked to Air and Electricity.

Andy and Ally and I travelled further through the City, searching for Seams but unfortunately coming up empty handed. There was an incident with some trash gulls, but the less I dwell on that, the better.

I would end here, but thereís something else I wished to write about, even though I canít imagine it being important to the greater text Iím working on here.

Velastra Quarterdragon had returned to Ring 99 for a visit, at Lord Norbertís request, so he could raise her up as a Baroness of some distant Keep. When Andy met Velastra, her demeanor shifted and she seemed overly distracted. When we travelled together after, she followed Velastra around, never more than a few steps behind, and barely even looked at me.

It made my chest feel tight and my face warm. I didnít like the way I felt, and I didnít say much. Not that it mattered, because she was hardly speaking to me, distracted by Velastra as she was. I hate feeling this way, it reminds me of the way I used to feel back home, when my mother and my stepfather would dote on my younger sister like I didnít even exist. I thought Iíd gotten away from those feelings, mastered them even, so to feel them again and under these circumstances is very troublesome.

Itís not like I even care who Andy spends her time with or pays attention to. I know she really really likes dragons and Iím not a dragon, so I could never be as exciting to her as Velastra Quarterdragon, of course. I donít need to be the center of her world, Iím a patient and responsible and wise journeyman mage after all, and I have a lot of my own things going on. So why does it still bother me so?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 08:15:02 PM by spice mage »

spice mage

• View Profile
on: November 12, 2019, 08:14:05 PM
An Oath to Velstra? THAT Oath specifically? I stood there, feeling like nothing more than an empty sack, all the flour having poured out of me onto the ground, useless for baking... useless for anything.

My chest was tight, rigid, a dam of solid stone holding back a flood, yet the floodís nature wasnít entirely known to me. Was it formed of anger? Was it raw sadness? I couldnít say for certain. I don't believe it's jealousy, however. It's likely fear, fear that Andy will die for this strange woman.

In any case, I imagine it would have been fine. Iím sure I would have been able to keep things together, truly.

I was immensely relieved that she demurred, but a part of me wanted her in that moment, to turn from the Oath, from Velastra, to look right at me and swear to me forever.

I was relieved she demurred. Velastra is so far away, and it will likely be a long time before she can make good on such an oath. Oaths are a troublesome business, if you ask me. I feel like they are more likely to cause harm than good, as is often the case with strict laws, when one forgets the purpose or spirit of the law and follows it to the letter, rather than recalls the reason the law was created.

Velastra headed into the swamp, and Andy and I returned to the Peerage. The others wished more adventure, but she'd had a difficult day, and knew that it was better to remain with me.

spice mage

• View Profile
on: November 12, 2019, 09:30:39 PM
I awoke with a start from a nightmare. Despite no windows present to indicate the time of day, I could tell from the sounds of the casino below that it was well past morning. I went to leave the bed but had somehow in my fitful, restless sleep I had entangled myself in the bedís coverings. I struggled to free myself but I seemed to only make matters worse.

I briefly thought to return to sleep and just accept the muted pain from lumpy blankets digging into places I didnít wish such discomfort, but I had already slept so long. My cheeks burning from embarrassment, I requested assistance from the matron of the room, and she aided, although not without a few choice barbs that I wonít soon forget.

The nightmare was unpleasant.

I was with my mother, after fatherís death, when it was just the two of us. We only had each other in those days, and thereís nothing like a sudden death of a loved one to remind you how much you should hold on tightly to what you have, because you can lose it in an instant.

We were at a show together. More specifically, we were at the show, the show we took in shortly after fatherís death, where I first saw a songstress perfectly blend magic, story, and song, and I was so thoroughly dazzled that the pain was lessened, and my childhood dream was born.

In those days, she would put me before everything else: suitors, trade negotiations, and other trading company business. When we were together, the whole world didnít matter, and she would ask me about my day, and I would tell her everything that I was doing. I was never happier than those times.

During a lull in the show, she looked at me, and the expression on her face was that of unrecognition. She looked at me and saw a stranger, and she asked who I was. Heartbroken, I began to cry, wordlessly wailing, as tears streamed down my face.

I realized then that she was with my stepfather and my half-sister, older than when I had last seen her. They had forgotten me entirely. I had come to this City with its myriad Rings and they had moved on with their lives, and now they came to these shows. It was their thing, and I no longer existed in their lives.

I looked to the stage, a fleeting hopeful thought flickered into my mind that maybe I would see myself up there, performing for them as I had always wanted to do. Instead, I saw Andy.

I awoke with a start.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 09:33:50 PM by spice mage »

spice mage

• View Profile
on: November 15, 2019, 07:01:10 AM
Page 1

Things arenít going well.

Virgil attacked our group, shortly after weíd all worked out our tensions. It was all Elizabeth. She helped them see reason and made them apologize to each other.
Now sheís dead, killed by Virgil.

Beodda was captured, and it was everything I could do to prevent Andy from going to him.

I started smoking, and it's very difficult, but the most impressive Master Invokers would smoke pipes and do tricks with the smoke.
Andy's a lot better than I am, and seems to have had a lot of practice, but she didn't say much on the matter.

I hadn't really paid much attention before, but Andyís new armorís very shiny, especially her greaves.

Page 2

Annette, Andy, Ally, and that hanger-on Acathos, I think heís a fan of Annetteís. We tried to work together, but things went poorly. Goblins were involved.

He's so annoying! He never shuts up, and the things he says are so unpleasant and horrible. Why didn't anyone send him away? Elizabeth wouldn't have tolerated his horrible presence!

Thinking about her hurts so much, and in ways I didnít even think it would. I thought I was all right, even shortly after it happened, but the pain keeps growing. It's where the Elizabeth-shaped holes exist in life, whether it's engaging with horrible men, or brewing potions. There are a surprising number of things that remind me of her.

Andy and I spoke privately and she revealed some issues with her memories, from before she arrived in the City. I'm very worried for her, but I'm trying to remain calm, so I don't make it worse on her. It's probably not as big a deal as I feel like it is, but I internalized a bit. I already am troubled by the things I can't remember, and the idea that someone could be forgetting even more things after coming here is frankly rather terrifying.

While speaking to Andy, I missed one of Annette's performances and she was very upset with me! I hope I can make it up to her somehow.

Page 3

Infatuation? NoÖ infatuation implies foolishness, and I work so hard to avoid anything foolish.

She said it would be awkward, does she think Iím awkward?

I spoke to Velastra later in the night, and was once again reminded that all my fears were justified. Steel-clad from head-to-toe, a voice and presence that commands attention. How can I compete with that?
Iím just a mess of imperfections, of barely controlled emotional outbursts, foolish mistakes, and other things.

Speaking with Velastra was good, though. She cleared up a number of things for me, among them her desires for Andy as Retainer and for our ring running group to remain independent of the Tears. I felt bad about the way I had acted before, but I was so relieved.

Aethelwine showed up, still acting a little strange as he minces about his in nightgown, but now he's dyed it to his previous colors of purple and gold. We had little time to discuss the matter before bizarre magical mishaps began once more, and the four of us were teleported away from the Spinning Groat.

Among the places we ended up during our misadventure, we found ourselves in a strange facility that I had seen during a previous surprise teleportation from the Peerage. It may have explained some of the previous such incidents as an illusory man in robes referred to me as their lady and said that I had returned home to them after the teleportation systems had been attempting to summon me for several weeks.

Being well-aware that I'm not from this place, so extremely unlikely to be their lady, my mind was racing for explanations. I came up with a few theories:

1) I look exactly the same as someone else from this place, likely from a long time ago.
2) At some point in the future, I will travel back in time as a Master Mage and this will be my Tower.
3) There's no connection at all and this is the result of a truly random result caused by entropy.

Are all the strange occurrences connected? Is this the nature of being a wizard in the City? I wish I could say for certain.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 06:12:22 PM by spice mage »