Author Topic: [Pumpkin scented letter to Royal Court Wizard Embersol.]  (Read 233 times)

Anonymous Lemur

• View Profile
on: November 26, 2019, 04:23:49 PM
Royal Court Wizard Embersol

I wish to preface this letter by stating that I have nothing but respect for your work. However after reading your book with regard to the combating of the undead. I am forced to posit that your theories upon the necromantic art are born of memories transcribed from another reality into the body within which your soul presently dwells.  The fact that you fail to draw the distinction between soulless and bound souls suggests that the concept is foreign to you. Which in turn leads me to believe that your theories are based upon those of a realm outside of the rings.

This is a common mistake that many scholars make. They assume that the makings of all realities are the same. That the fundamentals of magic remain the same across every plane of existence. For example I have a met a man who believes himself to be a follower of a god known as Tyr. While he may be real in the abstract realm from which the memories of this man are drawn. In this universe and these rings Tyr is a work of fiction. The same can be said for the basis of many of your theories upon the condition of undeath. While I do not doubt for a moment that these fundamentals are presently true in the realm from which your memory is drawn. The fact of the matter is that you have mistaken them to be the same as those of this realm as a result of the all too numerous similarities.

Rather than waste too much precious ink and parchment in the event that you do not have the time nor the desire to learn of such things. I will end this letter by asking if you would like to meet with me. That a might help to point out where there are divergences between the magic of the realm from which you are familiar and the magic of the rings where I was born.

~Ashley Embersight~
Priestess of Yevathax

P.S I would also very much like to answer any and all questions you may have about Yevathax and tell you all about his purpose, but I fear  I'm about to run out of in-... [a "k" has been scratched into the parchment with an inkless quill.]

Random_White_Guy

• View Profile
on: November 26, 2019, 08:32:01 PM
Priestess Embersight,

Pardon as I do not know the honorifics attributed to your faith.

It has been an interesting journey studying and seeking to understand this home of mine. You're not wrong by any means that my theories are flawed. It is a very... Difficult thing to put into words the phenomenon experienced.

I suppose the easiest metaphor to use would be the idea of one eye looking to the left and one eye looking to the right yet rather than looking out on the larger world - they're gazing through two different walls. Not even at the walls themselves but through them outside the stain glassed windows of such. Each at any given opportunity giving different sights and colors and more to measure and contend with.

I have worked hard to try and clear my mind of past understandings and notions, I have no illusions or desire for return, and I quite accept this place as my home. I indeed seek to learn more and suffice to say I am more than happy to speak with you of such things.

Cognitive dissonance aside, as a sign of both gesture and good faith I would like to extend an invitation.

Matters keep me deeper and a meeting in person won't be very tenable until you find yourself past Ring 95. However until we are able to meet I welcome you to The Willow Ways of Ring 98. There are fields to be tended if you require food or otherwise, the Tower of Solitude holds within a small kitchen and bunk, as well as a meditative chamber upon the topmost floor.

Use the Tower as you please, be it as a personal abode or consecration as Shrine if you wish private use for your faithful. Or if you are so desiring open such to public worship.

Hawthorne ap Ebersol
Royal Court Wizard
Patrician-in-Exile of The Willow Ways.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 08:34:00 PM by Random_White_Guy »
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

Anonymous Lemur

• View Profile
on: November 26, 2019, 09:29:34 PM
[A ripe pumpkin gourd is sent with a little note.]

Words cannot express how thankful I am for your generosity! This gourd will keep evil spirits at bay for a time if placed outside of your door. Though you're welcome to eat it as well!

As a priestess first and foremost it is very difficult for me to integrate myself into adventuring troupes and so it may be sometime before I have the opportunity to obtain a keystone. I hope at some point you will be able to come and visit that we might speak at length on the subject of Yevathax, necromancy and the magic of the rings.

~Ashley Embersight~
Priestess of Yevathax

P.S Don't worry! There are no honorifics presently associated with Yevathaxian clergy.

Random_White_Guy

• View Profile
on: November 27, 2019, 11:57:26 AM
Priestess,

Our meeting it is a possibility indeed but not a soon one. At present I send word by proxy from the Deep rings, through both Apprentice and magic with Royal privilege.

May I suggest perhaps in your time free taking some of your teachings to tome and holy book? Or is your faith one moreso of oral tradition? I do keep my pair of apprentices on the look out when they leave my Tower for fresh works in the 99th or beyond.

Regardless I do hope the gardens bare fruit, the Tower brings oneness and mindful contemplation in solitude from the noise of the 99th, and do pay visit to the Mud Baths. They are the closest I have felt to the Divine since my awakening.

If need arise I fear you'll be on your own as i had to fire most of my retinue lest the Arbiters malign them, but if you are able to flourish in the Willow Ways I shall see fair reward your way.

Hawthorne ap Ebersol
Royal Court Wizard
Patrician-in-Exile

Anonymous Lemur

• View Profile
on: November 27, 2019, 12:35:43 PM
I am presently working on a primer which will hopefully be finished before too long. Though sadly it won't touch too deeply upon the divergences of magic here and elsewhere and will be focused on Yevathax and his purpose. As I fear going into such detail might vex less scholarly individuals.

~Ashley Embersight~
Priestess of Yevathax

Anonymous Lemur

• View Profile
on: December 04, 2019, 10:01:59 PM
Much has happened since I last wrote to you. I have communed with Yevathax not once, but twice and he has raised my up to stand as his Prophet. As such the miracles at my disposal are comparable to some of your high arcana.

Using these God given powers, my faithful and I find ourselves with access to your beloved Wizard Warrens. It was revealed to me that a temple to Yevathax is located somewhere just beyond, hidden within a hamlet and it is by the will of the Great Tree that I make a pilgrimage there to strengthen the resolve of its faithful attendants.

Still I find myself feeling the urge to thank you in person for your generosity in person. I expect to visit the warrens a great many times over the next few days and so I hope that our schedules allow for a meeting.

~Ashley Embersight~
Prophet of Yevathax

Random_White_Guy

• View Profile
on: December 05, 2019, 12:30:14 AM
Prophet Embersight,

It is commendable to earn such favor from your Patron, and there is no denying that many of the inner rings are touched with the favor. A great many pumpkins I have spied in my walks and it is indeed a true faith you serve, nor have I been swayed by the bayings of the 99th's errant.

That you have taken of this first hurdle is momentous indeed. We shall meet in short order and discuss both your pilgrimage and at long last a chance to meet in person.

Hawthorne ap Ebersol
Royal Court Wizard

Random_White_Guy

• View Profile
on: December 08, 2019, 08:08:13 AM
I have heard your whispers and while it may seem a matter of agitation, I regretfully inform you that I won't be meeting with you any time soon.

If thanks you wish give you may seek me at the 64th Ring. Else I thank you for the curious insights into the nature of the rings and the philosophy of your faith.

Hawthorne ap Ebersol

Anonymous Lemur

• View Profile
on: December 08, 2019, 06:40:57 PM
My true intent for our meeting has always been best left unwritten lest prying eyes learn of the futures dark portents. I find myself utterly disappointed that you persist in this farce of playing both Royal Court Wizard and Ringrunner both.

The mantle of Court Wizard is too great to be twinned with another. Are you the Royal Court Wizard or are you a Ringrunner? My prophecy pertains to the fate of the former, not the latter and yet I feel as though you cling to both fearful of the consequences of discarding one or the other.

I suspect much to my dismay you will find a means to justify abusing the position of Royal Court Wizard in pursuit of this grand adventure in the deeper rings. You may point to your predecessors and suggest they acted in a similar manner. Yet I would only be further disappointed by your lack of ambition.

Enjoy your far removed ringrunning. Yet do not hold a title of one who should -not- be so far removed from his ward that repeated visits are like to never so much as catch a glimpse of them.

~Ashley Embersight~
Prophet of Yevathax

If the Royal Wizard's staff glimmers and no one is there to see it, is he truly the Royal Wizard?

Random_White_Guy

• View Profile
on: December 08, 2019, 06:59:26 PM
Prophet,

Your frustration is understandable but frankly you know nothing of me, my intents, my achievements, nor have you even met me.  The tone of your letter is unbecoming of one of your station regardless of what frustrations you may be facing.

To answer your insults, no, I am no longer the Royal Court Wizard. My predecessors were correct of one thing - it is a stepping stone to greater lengths.

I wish you luck in whatever undertakings your prophecy and portents unfurl.

Hawthorne ap Ebersol