Gardening System Ideas

Started by granny, December 12, 2019, 01:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

granny

Since my first contact with the gardening system I have been pondering about some sort of means of better improving the non-direct interactions it promotes. Chiefly the issue I would like to address is the lack of any means of keeping track or trying to make it harder for herb stompers to actually stop a garden from flourishing, for a reason or another. My idea is much around the same mindset of invisible people being brought out of stealth/ invisibility when trying to loot chests/ scavenge and the need of actually contacting the DM channel before killing NPCs like the random Ringruner.

1) So, the first point I thought about was for ranger and druid PCs to be able to get clues on people that might have seriously damaged the garden. Maybe the farming/ gardening skill would allow some related clues with less precision to other classes too. Also, it should bring people out of stealth when harvesting herbs and some sort of more explicit message telling everyone nearby that a PC actually ended up killing a plant through excessive harvesting.

2) The second suggestion I make is related to gardeners being able to actually make herbs stronger and grow faster through the addition of adequate fertilizers/ water and what not. Even maybe with a possible chance of the plant regrowing after being harvested to death. Druids could have some spell-like ability to actually make the process even faster, being able to make the herb to produce more harvestable growths depending on their level/ skill.

3) The third point I thought about would be more for druid PCs, but maybe also for rangers and it is related to garden protective forces with different kinds of themes depending on where the grove, garden it's located at. For instance, gardeners (but chiefly druids and rangers) could plant red spore mushrooms that would automatically send forth their spores after a determined amount of harvesting of the same herb would be reached, with increased reactions the closer it would be of killing the herb. Things like wasp/ bee nest with creeping doom and actual wasp/ bees could be sent forth in another theme. Or in a more earthy theme, earthquakes and earth elementals could spawn. On another theme, it could be assassin vines or Evards Tentacles, while on another, spike growths and poison clouds/ gas would sprout. Shambling Mounds could pop in a swampy garden and even Grey Reavers (this last is even more interesting, considering that they're intended to protect a determined territory, accordingly to their description). The yellow fungi zombies could be another possibility too, maybe the vegiepymies even. A more carvenous theme could be related to spider web, and grove, sword, skull and ghost spiders crawling down from the ceiling upon the careless harvesters. And, obviously, the more skilled a gardener is, or if they're actually a druid, the lesser is the chance of such drastic outcomes to happen.

On this last suggestion, obviously, there's always the possibility of attempting to destroy the defenses of the garden. Although, such snf attempt would actually trigger the most dangerous reaction of the demesne defenses, and it for sure would leave a more detailed information of the responsible for such (maybe not scripted, but it would be required to inform the DM channel when doing so, just like it's currently required with random Ringruner murdering).

granny

Maybe in order to make it simpler, it might be interesting that characters with high gardening automatically plant herbs that would grow faster/ produce more sprouts per reset or harvesting