Make Regroup a Cantrip

Started by Aethereal, January 25, 2020, 12:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aethereal

Regroup, a substantially weakened (limited to summoned creatures in 'close' proximity - something that can barely properly teleport summoned creatures from the other side of a doorway due to the requirement of caster proximity) version of the Recall command whose only real use for a conjurer is that it functions in combat, is even now as a 1st circle spell not worth the spell slot. It's so much worse for a sorcerer summoner to waste one of their precious 'spells known' on this spell, that I think has potential if it is put in its proper place: as a cantrip.

The spell description already has a warning as to how it should not be used to balance out/counteract overuse of its novelty if it were a cantrip. The risk of it being occasionally used for shenanigans in return for making it worthwhile for those spellcasters who may draw strategic value from it seems worth it. Although I'm sure the temptation of it as an unlimited cantrip might be too much to not become a meme, I have the hope and dream that such things might be curbed so that we can have good things.

Alternatively: could several uses per day of Regroup be added to the sorcerer's Cultist perk and dedicated Conjurer wizards be given a player tool to the same effect?

Edit: *functions IN COMBAT.
[hide=Regroup][/hide]
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

It is through Art, and through Art only, that we can realise our perfection.

Dredi

I'd be a touch wary about gatekeeping it behind certain perks/builds, if purely for the fact that shit gets stuck all the damn time..

A summon-only version which does not effect PC's however might be more suitable as a cantrip.

I love cats

Regroup is an absurdly powerful potentially life saving spell in PVP. I say let it remain as is.