Peerage Houses : Remove Veteran Badges

Started by Richørd, March 16, 2020, 05:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richørd

Hello there,
currently the Peerage Houses each have a Veteran Badge available in their member-shops, all for the same price of prestige points across all the Houses.

The badges have few mechanical advantages but they all have an Unlimited/Day usable activity that allows the wearer to "proudly flash their veteran badge".
I suggest removing the badges entirely from the shops or alternatively increasing the cost of them to make obtaining them more difficult.

Why?
Because, while providing little mechanical bonuses, the badges carry a huge vanity bonus with them.
To be a "Veteran" signals that your character has seen things, done things, accomplished something or at least stayed around long enough to be witness to some major events happening within the Peerage Ward and survived to tell the tales.
When I hear "Veteran" I imagine PCs like Genovalia de Rossa, Vladislav Orza, Melkoth Thrizklos, Elizabeth Frick, Acathos Nascira.
BIG BANGERS, that without a doubt deserve to be called Veterans, like them should (have) receive(d) the badge for free as a gift from their Houses.
The badge and the vanity of being a "Veteran" should not be available to some absolute dweeb who snuck away with the King's Gifts during off-peak-hour Dispensaries a few times just to rush the badge that has a really low price point.
A PC you, as an active player, have never heard about should not be able to flash that badge in your face.

Why do I make this suggestion thread?
Simple, the topic came up in Discord. Nothing ICly that peeved me off, I don't even currently play a Peerage PC. Just dropping this here at the end so people hopefully don't get the wrong idea about what motivated this thread.

Blue41

The Peerage Ward is a place where titles and claims of nobility are squabbled over, bought and sold, debated and disproven. Rank matters to people there, whether it's legitimate or not. If everyone's a veteran then the title has less impact- and I would think that's the point.

Plus, I'm sure having people app for Vet status would just add a bunch of pointless topics to that forum.

Loops

If you lead a faction, you know it and the DMS know it. The badges are great for people to show their characters are vain. They're there for characters who would feel the need to walk up to their quartermaster and ask for a little pin so they can show the other servants how they're doing a good job. Like has been said, in the Peerage titles and appearances and appeals to high culture are everything. I say leave them in, they have a purpose, even when they're given out to someone who has run around everywhere like an idiot their first few days, to try and show the boss they can do a good job if they try really, really hard.

;)