Author Topic: [A Wax Sealed Letter For Aethelwine Silver.]  (Read 507 times)

Drink With Me

• Fix it with ale.
    • View Profile
on: April 16, 2020, 07:34:18 PM
Grand Archmage of the City of Rings Aethelwine Silver,

Well first off. I've read so much about you from the  various articles in the Rumor Mill to the ones in the Danebluff Daily. As well as your own books! Fasinating.  I do have a few questions though about some of your research. If suits you we could go back and forth through letters but I would truly enjoy an in-person interview. Knowledge and gathering it is sort of a passion of mine. I enjoy learning and bettering myself in both magic and lore. Seeing as I'm quite new to this place. You can imagine that I've spent so much of that time reading up already! Well this is getting off topic. From what I gathered you're the person to meet and talk about when it comes to magic, knowledge and the like! So either confirm you'd like to carry this out through letters or if you'd grace me with a face to face interview of sorts.

Humble Regards,

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 03:19:24 AM by Drink With Me »
If you're evil, and you're on the rise
You can count on the four of us taking you down
'Cause we're good and evil never beats us
We'll win the fight and then go out for pizzas.  - Steven Universe

Aethereal

• View Profile
on: April 17, 2020, 09:23:45 AM
A response arrives by way of Doorkeeper.

This Writ of Alledha's Wake is issued to:

Luther Dawnson,
Noble Seeker of Knowledge,
Weather Reporter of the Danebluff Daily,

Dear Luther,

You bestow upon me title that is neither representative nor due of me - I am no archmage. As the rumours go I was bested by an apprentice in the Rite of Certamen - though of course that is not quite the truth. I will let you in on a little secret: a great ancient being, from a time lost to the City defeated me, not once, but twice and I in my misery let loose the grasp on the place that was and in my heart will always remain home and the bed I made for myself in the Realm. It fills me with the deepest melancholy to even think about it, but the truth is, sentimentality is a damning thing. It binds us and I hope now to instead take a fragment of my home elsewhere with me, as she joins me, because perhaps its true, home is where the heart is.

Oh, dear, you never asked for my life story. It's the classic mistake that some make with a new acquaintance, isn't it. They overshare in their awkwardness - but you're keen to possess knowledge and I've already given you a piece of things for you to piece together if you only contemplate the context. Me? I think I'm just a seeker like you, in search of wisdom, in search of a mastery that I know is possible and I like you right now, need only find the context and fit together the pieces. Maybe, should you one day come to walk a path akin to mine you'll remember these words and think, 'Ah, so that's what that Aethelwine meant?'

I wish I could simply just step back and meet with you, Luther. But there is no sanctuary for me right now in the outer Rings. My old home is twisting out of control and infected with a nightmare that preys upon my conscience, pains my thoughts with the worst of headaches because I poured myself into Warrenwatch, I gave of myself to it, it will forever hold a piece of me and whatever power I possess. So let's write? I'm so far away and I like it like that way, the 99th was always miserable, full of all the things I despised: senselessness, madness, and a shortsightedness that ruins everything. I never found colleagues there, not for long anyway, but here, in Baz'eel, the city in the City of Rings, I find at last an opportunity to join a fellowship - I'll be joining them soon, I think. And I'll be completing my great work or determining my future one way or another.

Now let's not cast aside the possibility that we shall one day meet, vis-a-vis, you and I. That we shall hold discourse and share our stories of magic and lore and anything else that might tickle the fancy of our inquisitive minds. But for now? Send your letters through the Doorkeepers or the Consortium couriers, they'll find me.

Under the auspices of the King,

The True
Royal Castigator of the Realm
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 11:24:02 AM by Aethereal »
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

It is through Art, and through Art only, that we can realise our perfection.

Drink With Me

• Fix it with ale.
    • View Profile
on: April 19, 2020, 03:27:33 AM
Royal Castigator Silver,

Well. Let me start off by saying that I did in fact want to hear your life story. I was more or less leading up to that by first inquiring about your research. Howeve to press forward! This Ancient Thing that so has you in a rut. Just know that defeat and victory are a coin together. You can not know the sweet taste of victory, without first feeling the bitter bite of defeat. At least that is something my father would often preach. Same with the home is where the heart is that you too mentioned. I don't remember much of my time before washing up here but I remember traveling and doing so quite a lot. Exploration is but a conduit for learning after all.

Now as in where you mean that 99 is filled with such chaos and madness. I can see your point. However I also feel that it is the responsibility of those who know better to offer opportunity to those that don't, to learn. We did have a slight exchange over the bronze ear. I heard the disparaging things that were going on within the Warren of Wizards, a place I've not seen yet. While I do not doubt the intention of yourself when you went back and forth with the one known as Catsby. It should be noted that while exercising your access and right to use said whispers to try and go back and forth with her is as I said, your right. Perhaps I'm too good nature to think that in times of great distress where is a storm of the upmost blackness began to hurl down oily rain and potentially endanger the hundreds of people who call the 99 home, may not have been the best time. From a perception on which I stood it seemed you cared more for the vanity or pride of the situation and perhaps that is wrong of me.

I'm still idealistic in nature. To the fact that I want to see everyone prosper and see life flourish. I'm also young...so there's that. If Kairos the Calming Storm, teaches anything it's that knowledge will change one's perception but your perception on knowledge, should never change. So with that said. Do tell me more. I've researched far back within these Rumor Mill papers and it seems you've been here for a very long time. While I still see the world bright and full of hope. Perhaps your time here has in fact opened your eyes to more. Give me the perception of an intellectual mind such as yours. On the Peerage, Ticker Square and the Ponds themselves. How've they changed since your arrival and is it for t he worse or better?

Letters will do should you seek to continue to do so. Perhaps a time will come when we meet.

Humble Regards,

« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 04:26:16 AM by Drink With Me »

Aethereal

• View Profile
on: April 20, 2020, 02:34:14 PM
This letter is received, but no response is immediately forthcoming, perhaps due to the present state of the Magus.
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

Aethereal

• View Profile
on: April 24, 2020, 12:53:12 PM

This Writ of
HOUSE SOTHILDE
is issued to:

Luther Dawnson,
Weather Reporter of the Danebluff Daily,

Goodman Dawsnson,

I have returned to the outer Rings and so engagement vis-a-vis has become a much more likely reality. I shall however respond to the enquiries raised thus far by written word:

Thank you first of all for the words of encouragement. As you may have since heard, I have declared myself Aethelwine the Defeated. For reasons such as being unable to alter the course of reality to prevent the destruction of my old home, yet again. For being proven at least in the moment, incorrect on my elucidations pertaining to the Art, and the need for careful and restrained practice - after all, it seems Ruul and his apprentice have proven that their chaomancy is capable of producing results without consequence, though I shall hold them yet to account for the cost to the Wizard Warrens, my ancestral home.

I have finally decided to step out of secrecy, revealing the truth of Alledha Amastacia's Wake: that we uphold her legacy and her heritage. Enlightenment shall at last be brought forth upon those who would seek it - for the lessons of history teach us that it is not something to merely cast into the open heedlessly, expecting all to understand. Understand however there was no back and forth with Rashby the Reckless. In fact, not at any point did I directly react to any of her statements: what I had to say was predetermined and carried out as intended, a public service announcement. It is important for one to possess context when one examines reality. I shall confess that my pre-planned announcements of quarantine clashed with your own weather report of Nothing storms, but it was not something we, being deep in the Rings had any experience of and any callousness that may be derived as a result was the product of lack of awareness at worst.

I have decided that I shall answer your query pertaining to the Wards in person and soon in the form of a publication as I return to my roots, and that of my mother before me: scholarly works in pursuit of understanding and in furtherment and betterment of the Art, Truth, and Realm.

Do be well, noble seeker of the Truth.

Lord Aethelwine Sothilde

Royal Castigator of the Realm
Astrologian of the Grand Observatorium of Etherical and Astrological Phenomenon
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 09:06:36 PM by Aethereal »
---

Drink With Me

• Fix it with ale.
    • View Profile
on: April 26, 2020, 04:25:40 AM
[The letter is received and given the past two letters. It is clear this one is pinned hastily]

Lord Aethelwine Sothilde,

I am most pleased to hear from you. In truth I'd feared the worst. Though we've been quill pals for a short time I'd greatly looked forward to a vis-a-vis engagement! Given the content of this most recent letter I am genuinely even more curious. Let us sit and share some coffee somewhere. I have no issue meeting you within the groat even! I will make a sending when I make way there if time allows we can converse!

Humble Regards,

Drink With Me

• Fix it with ale.
    • View Profile
on: April 30, 2020, 03:35:10 PM
Lord Aethelwine Sothilde,

First I would like to apologize for not having met with you sooner. We're both busy men no doubt and as we both peruse ultimate goals of knowledge and betterment, I have heard troubling things.  The company I keep is not at all what I expected in truth but they've been good to me thus far.  Secondly I'm writing you this day because I hope you're alright. I've heard news about your attempting to become a house as well as potential battle or something along those lines?  Though we've not yet met I am worried. As I don't get to the peerage often it is hard for me to investigate further.  If there's anything you need from me or anything I can do. I will do my best to be there.

Humble Regards,

Aethereal

• View Profile
on: May 01, 2020, 01:46:16 PM
L.D.,

Times are dark, the mood darker. There was a time when we could have, and certainly should have met. Yea, I did hear your voice through the Whispers call at that hour that was unfortunately one which held me captive.

The Peerage Ward of the 99th has nothing for me and I nothing for it. Whatever rumours of my involvement therein may be left as such and indeed thence forgotten for I have renounced all association after that place took from me everything that I held dear.

Details are painful yet, but you are both a noble seeker of the Truth and a kindred spirit, I sense. I suggest to you that you begin to make your efforts to delve deeper into the City. There are things to see and behold with all the truths they might reveal, but it is a journey, and it will require companions in whom you trust and they in you.

Know that if I were to further answer a prior query about the Wards of the 99th and the Willowgrove Park, I could only speak curses at this hour. So I shan't. If you make your way to the Wizard Warrens one day, I shall honour you truly with discourse upon all the topics from the arcane to zoological studies of the Realm.

Until then, thank you for your offer. It may be that there shall come a time when I will make a request, but if I do, it shall always be a thing of mutuality.

- A.S.

P.S. There is nowhere truly suitable in the Realm to a scholar, except their own company and those who they might befriend in their wandering and wondering. Do not hesitate to wonder and wander so.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 01:48:49 PM by Aethereal »
---

Drink With Me

• Fix it with ale.
    • View Profile
on: May 02, 2020, 02:35:33 AM
Dear friend,

Indeed. Upon further digging I've heard more of the atrocities that have occurred. In truth I find myself at odds with my own morality the longer I linger around the ninety nine. I try to see the good in everyone but perhaps there isn't many left with good in their heart.  Though we will refrain from discussing more on my own feelings due to perhaps a fear that should such things be caught by the wrong eyes, death may find me sooner than I'd like. 

I've never been one who was wise to the games of deceit or subterfuge. Yet there are so many around me that are.  So for now letters to simply check up will suffice until I've broken through the rings proper.

Currently I'm working with a fine set of folks. Most I trust but I was told by one of the very people I do trust perhaps not to trust them. So It is a confusing dilemma non the less.  Regardless I think we're well suited to break the task of 95. Given what information I've gathered on it. I as a man of knowledge enjoy the thrill of exploring new rings but also enjoy the weather they bring. My determination will not faulter and we shall see, speak and share a hearth in due time.

Whatever small comfort it brings. I am deeply  empathetic to your situation and  wish there was something more I could do to reverse time itself.

Humble Regards,

Drink With Me

• Fix it with ale.
    • View Profile
on: May 06, 2020, 11:55:47 PM
Dear friend,

I know it is nothing to raise your spirits completely but I have passed the challenge of ninety five. I'm currently working my way through the ninety four and should be within the warrens soon.  I look forward to a proper meeting, long conversation and perhaps a real friend.  Mainly wanted to get this information to you before I make it there.

Humble Regards,

Aethereal

• View Profile
on: May 07, 2020, 03:31:15 PM
This letter was received, and a response was made by way of Whisper (as part of a series of Whispers though it might have been):

Quote from: The whispery voice of Aethelwine Sothilde is heard as you receive a message:
Yes. The Wizard Warrens of course. It`s where we made our bed... [A much more exhausted sigh.] Ally, Luther, and Saibhon. To each of you, I wish to let you know your letters are received, I will hope to attend to them and you all in time. I apologise if I am late and belated, I`m not well...
---

Drink With Me

• Fix it with ale.
    • View Profile
on: May 15, 2020, 03:27:46 AM
Dear friend,

It has been a struggling few days. I've lost many friends these past few dangerous events. I've spent most of my time reflecting in the heights and storms that occur on the heights. I got this far with friends that most are no longer here.  I have what I need to get into ninety three but I don't know if I'm ready just yet. Time is not kept and I'm unsure when I'll be able to press inward. Without a group to defend. Without a group to share company. It is difficult.

Though know that I do intend to open that door soon and be there within the Warrens. I only regret that those that helped me get here, aren't going to be passing that gate either.  There are yet a few still alive but they've each gone their own ways already.  Quickly divided in the wake of such terrible destruction wrought by a demon.

Wow. Looking this letter over and it seems a jumbled mess. My thoughts are currently scattered. Something I'm sure you understand. Anyway! Soon we will share stories, knowledge and explore together.  I look forward to it.

Humble Regards,

Aethereal

• View Profile
on: May 16, 2020, 11:52:16 AM

This Writ of
SOTHILDE
is issued to:

Luther Dawnson,
Friend in Mutuality,

Dear Luther,

The circumstances you find yourself in are sadly very familiar to me indeed. I imagine you've scanned well the horizon from atop Silverspike in your quest to break through the Ringdoor into my home-Ring. Assuming you have been thorough - as should be due of all who pass - you will note something is absent. A small thing, a little thing, but a thing nonetheless. I speak of my name - it's not there, Luther. I never bound my name into those pillars. There's a reason for that and one which I think I can share with you, to help inspire you through the situation you find yourself in.

My own passage through the 95th Ring involved two whole attempts. Each time, I was with my sister Sylyn, her crew and our allies. These were people who believed in me, and at the time our dream for our Society of Magic and Mystery but also answers - a tower that we would call our headquarters. In the end I would break through the 94th in the company of friends and family, but I was never part of their crew. So it was not my place to add my name to anything, I didn't really belong. The actual truth is, at the time, I also felt no impetus to inscribe my name there. I guess I used to be a touch less sentimental back then, maybe. I also thought, 'this is not why I've come here.' I needed to reach the place I had long hoped I would be able to raise as a beacon for the scholars of the Realm; arcanists and intellectuals alike.

That's where it all went wrong. My organisation, the Ordo Arcanum, sadly, and despite all of our efforts, was dismantled. Many causes, many culprits, but amongst them was the fact that it was just I, and Isiratuu who had the wherewithal to break through the 95th - although he'd managed long before me. That itself was a dilemma, I lost him to his research, and within the tower raised my dedications to friendship with my other sister Lori. With our efforts the Warrens flourished and grew, towers reopened, and Towertop returned; but it was just the two of us and on occasion our friends.

The thing that kept us going was mutuality and knowing that we had work to do. We were never satisfied, and well, she needed my help. I think that's the trick, the thing that pushes us forward. It's good to never be satisfied, Luther. And I find, when you're on the search for answers in a place like this, any moment of satisfaction at having learnt something new only brings with it further questions. So that's my advice to you - our friends and our family, wherever they go, if they meant something to us, they'll be with us in our hearts, but it is we who must do their memory and their sacrifice, justice.

And that brings me a thought. Perhaps, I should bind my name upon those pillars now. Perhaps, I shall invite you to join me when I do. Because I think, as I must move forward, I have in my mind a worthy dedication. Something to look forward to.

I look forward to seeing you too, my friend.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 12:06:14 PM by Aethereal »
---

Drink With Me

• Fix it with ale.
    • View Profile
on: May 17, 2020, 01:15:47 AM
Dear friend,

I have to say given your own tale and your parting wisdom at the end. It is truly inspiring. Given what I've experienced I have not yet lost the drive and yearning for knowledge and answers. Perhaps apart of me just needs to mourn the loss and then take them with me in memory as I open each following door.

I had looked a lot of the names over and did remark to a friend of mine how I didn't see yours upon it.  I would be honored to stand by you when you finally etch it in. My group never got the chance to...so perhaps I'll etch it in there at the same time.  Giving membernce to a band of misfits that just wanted to see more of this world.

I've read a lot through the rumor mill issues and found much. Though I am truly looking forward to hearing more tales both good and sad.

Humble Regards,

Drink With Me

• Fix it with ale.
    • View Profile
on: May 24, 2020, 03:32:04 AM
Trusted Ally,

I'm here. I'll be around. Looking forward to it.

Humble Regards,