Draft Group Tournament: Gladiatorial Games in the Outer Rings

Started by whyemmdee, May 08, 2020, 11:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whyemmdee

The last weekend of May I would like to run a draft group tournament; it will be entirely PvE focused and will consist of a series of static challenges of increasing difficulty until the final round done by teams of PCs. By its nature it is not meant to be permadeath, but it is however meant to be very difficult so keep that in mind.  Each team victory nets you a static reward, you can choose to add extra difficulties to the specific round for a chance at extra something. Examples of an added difficulty modifier is to make the challenge a permadeath one for a massive increase in reward (and cojones) if you win.  If your team loses, you're out. All challenges will be static and there are no last minute tweaking (only to make things harder for the extra reward).

The idea for the draft is as follows: I will assign a $ value to each player character some time before the event and will require a small pool of players to sign up as 'captains'.  The $ base is dependent on their relative mechanical strength, but also PCs with high charisma and certain reputations may for example end up cheaper/more expensive than otherwise. Each captain will receive a static amount of $ with which they can pick other characters with in a draft picking order, the actual rules of it all I shall elucidate upon at a later date if there are enough sign ups. For this event to actually take place I am looking for at least somewhere between 20-26 PCs to sign up; even if your PC may not be the most mechanically powerful I would encourage you to sign up as there will be opportunities for every manner of build to shine and defeat challenges. Recommended level is at least 7.

Notes:

- This is a purely OOC announcement solely to inform people, I will announce it IC if the tournament will proceed.
- Sign ups close 23rd of May, I will then announce if I'll have enough players for the tournament and if so will also assign captains. There may be opportunities for captains to gain an edge over the others depending on certain actions, more will be announced later.
- There is no risk of XP loss unless your entire team is subdued.
- Even if you sign up, there may be a chance for you that you will not be drafted. I will have a plan for these leftover agents.
- Don't mess with the Google doc other than signing up if you'd like to participate.
tchundere

whyemmdee

Bump. Looks like it's close to the minimum amount of players I'll need for this to work.!  :)
tchundere

whyemmdee

I have reached the minimum for this, how swell  ;). Signups are open until 23rd of this month after which they will be closed. I will not be taking signups after. The 24th I will publish the draft rules, assign captains and settle a date for the draft picking.  I will publish the rankings list a few days before the picking date. Expect an in -character announcement for this event in the next few days.

Make sure to reread the post again, I have updated some of the information regarding the rules. Should be fun!
tchundere

whyemmdee

Reminder: 1 more week for sign-up, not taking any more signups after that. Next Saturday signups close, Sunday I'll publish the draft pricing list and rules of play.

Here.
tchundere

whyemmdee

Bump, sign-ups close in a little less than 48 hours so make sure you're signed up (with your current, living, character) if you want to participate!
tchundere

whyemmdee

tchundere

whyemmdee

DRAFT RULES:

- There will be 8 teams of 5 player characters.
- There is no voluntary backing out. You compete until you win all challenges (there are a limited amount) or until you lose a challenge, after which your team eats the experience loss for dying and are out of the games.
- Drafting will be done in rounds, starting with the lowest priced captain picking first. Captains will be given a set purse to spend on picking players in order.  I have a specific bot for this and in the interest of time I'll be doing this out of game. I would like to do the drafting of the captains sometime tomorrow and it shouldn't take too long (~30 minutes at most if all goes well.
- There are 43 characters signed up, therefore there will be a few agents left over after the draft.
- Leftover agents may bet for any one particular team as their 'favorite'; they will receive reduced experience and monetary reward for each challenge that that team completes, though no item rewards (if applicable) shall be handed out.
- Players who still want to participate may sign up on the second sheet of the draft tournament; this is a free agent list to use as filler teammates if someone needs to leave or has an emergency or any other reason as to why they wouldn't want to participate further.  I will set the prices for these late additions and captains will have a small, separate purse to spend on these agents as fillers if the need arises, the base amount of which will depend on their leftover purse after the original draft.
- There will be opportunity for captains and their teams to win extra supplies for the games, I will post threads and accompanying instructions once the captains have drafted their teams.

HERE is the draft pricing sheet. I may end up changing the pricing list before the drafting starts although it's more or less finalized.

All captains should message me on Discord after reading this post!
tchundere

whyemmdee

CHALLENGE MODIFIERS

QuoteChallenge of the First Face:

Enemies have their base attributes significantly increased.

REWARD: A satchel of useful potions for each character.

QuoteChallenge of the Second Face:

The fewer enemies are left during the challenge, the stronger the remaining become.

REWARD: Doubles the monetary reward.

QuoteChallenge of the Third Face:

All enemies have concealment and are immune to dispel and lower level spells.

REWARD: A single powerful mystery potion for each character.

QuoteChallenge of the Fourth Face:

All enemies have True Seeing , Blind Fight, Blindsense and immunity to Mind-Affecting.

REWARD: Double the experience reward if success.

QuoteChallenge of the Fifth Face:

All enemies are permanently hasted.

REWARD: Double the experience and monetary reward for winning the challenge.

QuoteChallenge of the Sixth face:

All enemies get dramatically increased healing capabilities.

REWARD: A chest of healing supply for each character.

QuoteChallenge of the Seventh Face:

Make the challenge permadeath on individual knockout.

REWARD: DM loot for success.

QuoteChallenge of the Eighth Face:

All enemies are immune to critical hits and have increased elemental resistances.

REWARD: A powerful consumable item, usable by any class.

QuoteChallenge of the Ninth face:

All enemies get a random permanent unique buff.

Reward: Receive a random powerful item for beating the challenge.

N.B. Multiple modifiers can be added to a challenge.
tchundere

whyemmdee

Teams are published here.

Make sure to sign up as a free agent if you want a shot in partaking in next week's events.
tchundere

whyemmdee

This was tentatively planned for tomorrow but the cruelty of lady misfortune knows no bounds and I seem to be coming down with something. Normally I'd power through but this event is likely to go on for quite a while; I'll be flying solo and I don't want to lose concentration and steam halfway through( and with Corona active it wouldn't be such a good idea anyway).

I'm rescheduling this for upcoming Sunday ~8 PM GMT but likely I'll have to delay it until next weekend unless my immune system pulls a Rocky.  I'll update this thread to keep you updated; on the bright side, it leaves you all an extra day (if not a week) to get prepped.

Sorry everyone, but it'll be worth the wait, I promise.
tchundere

whyemmdee

I am quite positive I have come down with some sort of flu so I'm going to take it easy and reschedule this to next week's Saturday, (the 6th) starting in the range of 5-7 PM GMT.
tchundere

whyemmdee

Hi, sadly my condition has worsened; I've been diagnosed with a mild case of pneumothorax, which in combination with me being the worse for wear with a case of the flu (thankful no Corona) means that breathing has become, softly speaking, a bit of a chore. I'm rescheduling this until drawing breath doesn't feel like getting stabbed. I'll add some more content to the module for players to acquire tokens, open up some more collecting challenges and other ways for contestants to keep themselves busy and will open up the free agent list for people in the interim.

Hopefully not more than a week (or two). Sorry again!
tchundere

whyemmdee

I'll be doing this upcoming Saturday July 4th; sometime this week I'll do another short draft as the sign-up list has been noticeably thinned out in the interim ;)

Please sign up as a Free Agent here if you would like to participate!
tchundere

whyemmdee

Make sure up to sign up to the free agent list by tomorrow if you would like to be redrafted into a team!
tchundere

whyemmdee

ENOUGH with the guilt trip.

I will be hosting these games, likely starting the first weekend of February. A new redraft will happen for this and I'll put up a new google document for people to sign again. I'll add to this post with new information, instructions and explanations in the following week or two.

Should be good...
tchundere