Replace Fighter Perk: Squire Level 5 Feat (Disarm)

Started by Rookie, May 10, 2020, 09:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rookie

This feat on this perk just seems a little out of place, and makes an otherwise pretty cool perk underwhelming.  Many of the other components of this perk are flavorful (but enjoyable), but I think a small buff might be warranted.

Some suggestions:
- SF Taunt
- SF Tumble
- "Fearless" feat
- A further bonus to lore, persuade, appraise
- Toughness
- Weapon Prof: Exotic

I'm sure there are other ways to buff this perk in a thematic way, but I figured a one for one feat replacement might be easiest.  Just something to consider.

VanillaPudding

Richørd

I have to say a few things about this thread.

1. The active part of the perk is amazing and makes it IMHO one of the best perks available to the whole class. Don't think that a "small buff" might be warranted.

2. Disarm fits the theme and description of the perk absolutely perfectly.
The children of the wealthy receive a very different sort of warrior's education than the common footman-- one based as much in morality and honor as it is in swordplay and siegecraft. Though some see such codes as more hindrance than help, the noble warriors of the realm see it as the only thing separating them from the common filth that pollute the battlefields.
Literally says "more hindrance than help". Instead of bashing the head of someone in you'd rather attempt to disarm then and make them forfeit a fight. That's the whole mentality of Squire and it's done justice by giving them a simple feat at level 5. In return this enables you to pick up improved disarm later on.

Lastly : If anything I'd have always expected people to complain about the +2 CHA that a Squire gets for making it to level 8. A bonus that is not even permanent and will disappear if you level down.
What is +2 CHA to a fighter? +1 to some skills and RP bragging rights. That's it.
I still love the +2 to CHA at 8 because it basically portrays a fighter becoming even more confident of their skills but that is mechanically speaking the weakest part of this perk.

Stranger

Disarm is a great feat. Are you crazy? Especially now that it's been changed to still be useful for smaller, one-handed weapons.

Being a Fighter with a bonus feat toward Improved Disarm owns!

Rookie

The +cha is fun.  The bonus to RP skills is nice flavor.  Temporary immunity to fear is nice.  But overall, it's an underwhelming perk.  Given the setting, I think it'd be nice for the perk to be more mechanically relevant.

I like the rallying cry idea.  Would be much more fun than some gimmick disarm build.