Author Topic: Scribe Alfonso Winneseph's Personal Notes.  (Read 555 times)

Bearic

• View Profile
on: May 23, 2020, 04:30:03 AM
We need a scribe willing to leave the safety here, and record the deeds of the esteemed ones beyond. The deeds of the Houses and their Retainers must be recorded. Darkness threatens the Peerage, boy... I must know better what is going on outside of these walls, boy. Do you understand? Darkness. Dissolution... I must count on you, boy. You will [prove my trust] Now go. Go, and bring plenty of fresh ink!

A.  A moment of repose:

Unnumbered time, my youth spent within the halls, and the Peerage proper. To wander about beyond and among the rabble and horrible conditions that plague these rings is daunting. I've no real skill with a blade, and words only gain you so much advantage, so I have some great hesitation. And yet, there is such a freedom of possibilities laid out before me. Alas, record keeping can be such a haphazard endeavour without dates, but by the grace of the Divine Alphabet, I might keep some sense of order.

I do wonder if the Nine-faced are to blame for the situation, if the numbers of the calendar were so cursed past nine that the whole thing was abolished. That the King let the cult not draw further power by seeking to control the very setting of the sun. I would not put it past it, but these are only thoughts.

Most of the Retainers are fairly pleasant to speak with thankfully, at least some of the Houses keep good idea of knightly virtue and intelligence.

Bearic

• View Profile
on: June 01, 2020, 07:27:11 AM
B. - Beginnings of my Adventure!

A trek into an ooze filled chamber, a horrible place, disgusting and difficult to move within. With pockets of acid in near every corner! Thankfully, the venture went quite well with the Retainers of the Peerage.

C. -Chaos under the Waves!

An underwater adventure with Librarian Candlemass, his friend, who never gave me his name, but is quite the skilled mage of Sunpurse [Madrick Marjolo, I have since learned!] and Retainer Liandra of Orza nearly ends in all our deaths! A horrible shark priestess stood us off for what must have been twenty minutes, felling Liandra and Candlemass's fellow retainer.

However, through absolute determination, Candlemass brawls with the sea witch shark until it is finally slain! A fortunate turn, as upon the monster's body are two gifts of the Divine Alphabet! Two scrolls that see them brought back from the brink! And so, though wounded, pride and body, we lived!

D. -Dangers of Fanatics

Assisting an orphanage with Richard Bookburner – His namesake carries more weight than I hoped. Though it would have been worse of me to assume, though his hunt of wizards is quite common in the Rings for duty of the King, the flames upon parchment – not all simply arcane dangers, the sort to be wary of for the unpracticed – was startling and abhorred. Religious views accepted as different , we will still likely not make fast-friends.

E. - Events unfolding]

The Seals of Harad are of some concern. Why he was imprisoned is uncertain, but the Kings laws have their reasons. It may be that his sentence time is simply close to being up, perhaps, but I am concerned that this Harad might be some horrible Wizard or evil design, or some mad man bent upon ruling or destroying the peace of the Ninety-Ninth. It is only a matter of time before he is released, however.

The Copper Torcs presently seem focused upon only Tickersquare. I am worried they may be using our animosity towards Tickersquare to separate us before they might make a move against the Peerage, but I trust the Council to make the right choices. They have met with their diplomats, so hopefully all is well known.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 05:36:37 AM by Bearic »

Bearic

• View Profile
on: June 20, 2020, 08:39:30 AM
F. - Frightful dealings!

A dastardly vagabond beset Glitt warrior Oengus, Retainer Niven of Velstra, and Sir Erlik of the Peerage. Demanding our coin, Oengus and Niven sprang into attack before I could even think to comply. Niven frazzled the mind of the bandit, sending them wheeling while Oengus laid into the Scoundrel.
They escaped, but further pressed their luck with a dastardly attack upon my person – quite the horrible series of strikes, but I recovered, and with that last effort by my comrades, defeated her. Quite the dangers the commons of the Ninety-Ninth!

G. - Grave dealings in the Ninety-fifth ring!

A trek into the Ninty-fifth breaks down... Two members of the Sons of Conquest, one of them Lucien, soldier for hire, and Forty Groat Godfrey battle each other. Stiletto, Hortigern Lorch and another join upon the Forty Groat Godfrey's side.

The member of the Sons of Conquest whose name I didn't get  [Tristan, I've come to learn] advised me to flee... and so I did... I should have been more discerning in my travels, but I did not realise how sour things might turn, nor how quickly.

The dealings of these adventurers can be quite horrible. I really must travel with the Peerage instead.

H.- Horrible and smelly environments!

A horrible delve into a trash pit, muck, sludge, waters and garbage. Retainer Demetri Art, Domina Lucertia, A man with an eye patch, a woman of trapspringing and Dwayne the blur duelist all lead me into this den of pirates of demi-human make – less than even!

Our foray goes well, as the monsters are crumbled before the might of the Sunpurse retainer and the Blur Duelist. Their fickle beastly magics, and sneak attacks to no avail. And so we had recouped the stolen goods.

I. - Indignant lizardmen are of some strength!

Lizardmen Warlords are nothing to downplay, they prove undeniably strong and resourceful at that. It is my some grace and blessing of parchment, his works I know, that I yet live. A scroll with divine instruction to see my back with the living.

It was a flash, a moment. Such a terribly frightening moment.

J. - Journeys deeper into the Rings.

Dog slavers, Trolls, and kobolds – these rings never cease to surprise and terrify. Thanks to the works of the Erlik, Angel of the Arena, Sa'i faithful, the Wayfinder, Godwin the Clayface, Pebby the strange halfling woman, a woman of some healing talent, a woman who never gave her name and a pleasant enough elf and dwarf the affairs of the latter all went well!

Likewise, the Dog-slavers were seen to quickly with Gene, the Sa'i faithful spoken, and Retainer Niven of House Velstra. Retainer Niven produces some of the most scary images one might see with her powerful magics. Thankfully, aside from the stench of most of these ventures, things went well.

I must find some perfume or something to mask the amount of odious vapors that I now run into – such dreadful things.

Bearic

• View Profile
on: July 20, 2020, 06:38:08 AM
K. – Killer Singing!

The sisters Harcourt, Nephezar Chanter Evander Valentine and Novitiate Liam, Retainer Igorevich of Orza, Mister Finn Darker, and madam Feng Suyin attend a matter brutal in some old opera house. The event goes well enough, our mutual blessings are quite symbiotic, though the environments are less than desirable.

L.  – Learned Events

Strange planes of fire, air, water. All with various hazards and issues. I finally managed to locate a relic of knowledge, thanks to Godwin Channing, the Clayface, it was quite the harrowing experience but well worth my efforts.

M.  – Morbid Earnings

That poor boy, a thief yes, but perhaps he did not know better. I can not say, all that is left is the book.

N.  – No Changing What Done.

The Clayface, a good man, fell to some horrible forces of the Mongrel woods. I carried him back towards the Orzan outpost in the Peerage, but could do nothing for him.

O.  – Opportunities Arise

The paths deeper into the Rings now open. Thanks to the group efforts of the Peerage, Ser Jouvander, Retainer Igorevich of Orza, The Sisters Harcourt, and Retainers Rhamah and Applewine of Velstra, Retainer Sovan of Sunpurse, Archelaus the Astronomer, and the Inquisitor Ix, I have passed the ancient Ritual. 

A terrifying ordeal to be certain!

Bearic

• View Profile
on: July 20, 2020, 07:09:56 AM
(Some Legal Documents are Kept upon Alphonso's person, among his other numerous paperworks with copies ever forwarded to the Royal Archivist)

"A discussion within the Sunpurse Mansion between Retainers Candlemass, and Marjolo of Sunpurse, and three members of Nephezar, Novice Sybil, Adjudicator Tzimiskes and Senior Thaumaturge Eustace Fitzrolf."

Assistant Librarian of Sunpurse, Cornelius Candlemass:

Although I see Madrick attends now -

Myself:

Salutations

I shall address the issue of apology, at any rate.

Sunpurse Retainer Madrick Marjolo:

Yes sire.

Senior Thaumaturge Eustace FitzRolf:

"It has been some time, Retainer Madrick. Good day."

Your fellow Retainer spoke in a most discourteous and disparaging manner about subjects of which I was not and am not familiar.

I bid greetings. The joyous night descends upon us.

I insisted on apology if she was to receive the aid of myself and my House, as I will not have the honour of House Sunpurse impugned.

As for the meeting.... [rubs his brow].... I barely understand the particulars? Perhaps Madrick can explain....

[The mage listens, fingers drumming against the ornate grimoire linked by a golden chain to his shoulder.]

Velstra Retainer Niven Scurlock:

[Bows politely] In the interests of peace in the Ward I am representing House Velstra as a third party witness.

Novice Sybil Ninlafiel:

[clasps her hands behind her back standing idle but watchful]

Sunpurse Retainer  Madrick Marjolo:

The meeting is the reason our fellow retainer has called for an emergency meeting of the council.

"The Novice Sybil was erroneous in her extension of apology, and it should not be considered any admission or guilt or recalcitrance on the part of House Nephezar. The House stands by her initial rebuke of your undertakings."

Retainer Madrick, correct me if I am mistaken, but the meeting was with the delegate... Arek, yes? The overly blonde man. And not with Meatpie or whoever is accused of being a bandit.

[He looks at Madrick.]

The Tickmen wish to enlist the aid of the Peerage in saving them from the Torc. Arek came to represent the Merchant Guild. This - now known bandit - was his protective muscle, it seemed. He said not a word.

"I see. What was the tentative outcome of this negotiation?"

They wished to pay us, as a ward....nine thousand groats. Ever the merchant, the Ticks...I told them this amount, spread across the entire ward was more insulting than nothing. So I've negotiated new demands for our aid....

[The wizard tilts his head, listening in silence.]

AdjudicatorTzimiskes:

[He cracks the knuckle of a fisted hand with the pale of his other palm.]

As you are aware, the Ticks....some of them, are ravaging our retainers for groats in the Commons to fuel their defense.

"As we are -quite- aware."

Novice Sybil Ninlafiel:

[she nods softly still remaining silent, letting the Senior Retainer speak in an orderly fashion]

I found this out later - but Arek explained then that the insulting amount was due to their lustful search for groats to pay their many mercenaries whom, unlike our ward, do not serve out of loyalty.

So an idea was floated which I believe if they agree, we should all be willing to agree to...as a ward.

[A wan smile.] "Did you propose that they give us these groats simply to ensure we do not take -revenge- upon them for their heinous actions? The money serving as weregild sounds much more appropriate."

[Smiles at Eustace's words]

I did not know then what I know now, gracious retainer.

"Indeed, indeed. Continue."

The suggestion -  A building of the Ticker ward would be renovated, using the groats that would have gone to paying us and more /after/ this little war is concluded, shall be deeded to us. A...[Pauses, scratching his chin]

Cultural Center? An Embassy? A place to teach the young ones of nobler things. The arts, the King, to provide them culture they have been denied. Something all of us, as a ward...surely want.

[As he listens to the proposal, his expression slowly contorts into one of baffled discontent.] "... You mean to say, sir, that your proposal is for us to bleed and die as a Ward, so that a building of dubious and uncertain legal ownership is slapped in the middle of Ticker...
.. And the words 'Peerage Owned' are painted on the side, no doubt in gull-turd?"

Adjudicator Tzimiskes:

[He starts at a chortle.]

Knowing Ticker a rabble will form and try to burn it within a month of it's building...

I do not think so.

"Whilst I can appreciate the sentiment, I do not think in practical terms that our ability to maintain control of such an outpost in -any- level of political unrest or tension with Ticker's Square will be up to par.

What happens in the next anti-peerage riot?"

The Ticks seem eager for a temporary truce.

"No, if we are going to help the Tickers..."

Please...

Regardless, the Council of Peers has been scheduled for emergency session within a day's time.

"... They need to sign a document renewing their oath of vassalage to pay taxes." [A thin smile.] "That is our view on the matter, and we will propose as such in the Council.
Until then, they are bandits."

House Sunpurse has not heard the specifics of these acts of banditry. Remind us again the name, and the details.

"Thank you for regaling us with the narrative of this event. Now, Rorkhan Meatklyff of the Sons of Conquest has ambushed and rapined the wealth and belongings of Vicar Richard, of the House Nephezar."

Novice Sybil Ninlafiel:

[looks over at Eustace for a moment with a slightly arched brow in question, still remaining silent though]

"He has also made failed endeavour to haul off our retainers for 'questioning' at the King's Dispensary, halted only by his Ticker comrades."

Meatklyff then. Well, he shall surely face the consequences for preying upon the men and women of this Ward in due time.

"It is unsurprising that he would pick on the weakest of our Household - bandits do prey on such - but nevertheless, it is not a matter which we are going to tolerate.

Now that you have been educated, I trust you will offer public rebuke of his banditry and inform Arek Vlasi that he is not to attend any further meetings in that man's company within the Ward?"

[Rubs his chin with a finger and thumb, his face deepening with a bit of depression] It is so hard to speak for our house....

"You do not think that you know your house would agree with taking the path of honour?" [A single eyebrow lifts.]

Adjudicator Tzimiskes:

"And why, you were not so troubled earlier for your egress." [He juts his chin towards Sybil.]

That is fine. I do not approve of what he did....it is crude and artless befitting a big nosed rockbiter - not a man.

This Meatklyff will certainly not be welcome here again.

"... Then you are agreed with our request?"

Yes. I will send my voice across the ears like the song of a dove.

Senior Thaumature Eustace FitzRolf:

[A satisfied nod. He turns to look at Niven Scurlock.]

AdjudicatorTzimiskes:

"Good! 'tis settled then."

"House Velstra, mark as witness that Nephezar considers this matter settled and shall hold no further mark against the House Sunpurse.

Assuming that our request is fulfilled, of course."

Retainer Niven Scurlock:

Marked, Senior Retainer.

I expect your noble House intends on dealing with this Meatklyff man?

Do you intend to hold Ticker to account for the actions of Meatklyff? He is in their employ.

"We do. Though, naturally, it is the prudent and honourable course of action for all Houses to defend the Ward's honour. He is, as we understand it, indiscriminate in his choice of victims."

For my own small part, I believe a strong message need be delivered to any who would raise their hand against those of the Peerage.

"Not at this current time, Niven Scurlock - unless we become appraised of knowledge indicating that the Sons of Conquest are acting on contract. Upon appraisal of which we will consider their employer to be accountable.""

Novice Sybil Ninlafiel:

I need to mention he also robed one named Catalae along with the Vicar who to my understanding is in the service of the Lady in Waiting

Surely they should at least publicly denounce his actions?

Senior ThaumaturgeEustace FitzRolf:

"Madrick intends to, it has been agreed."

Adjudicator Tzimiskes:

"So it has."

Excellent!

"... Say again, Novice? A Sunpurse retainer was also bandited?"

Yes...[Looks downcast at the prospect]

What? Who?

Novice Sybil Ninlafiel:

No, not a Retainer. She has grayed hair and bears a large mace. She was wearing no Regalia of the House of that i am very certain. However she seems to be in the service of the Lady in Wait, which to my knowledge is associated with House Sunpurse unless I am mistaken.

Adjudicator Tzimiskes:

"Kindred by proxy to the House of Sunpurse."

"... I see. Well, if they do not wear heraldry, we can expect no formal action to be taken - though for certain it is to the discretion of the House Sunpurse in that regard."

Once...relations have frayed, hearts and minds change. Some may follow the Saintly Lady still in our house but....it is not as it once was.

A bandit who preys upon any of the Peerage is to be dealt with like a dog that need be put down.

[Nods] Yes sire.

[He offers a brief, courteous bow.] "Good day and King's blessings. We may consider this audience concluded."

Assistant Librarianof Sunpurse, Cornelius Candlemass:

Perhaps our little misunderstanding could have been averted if notice had been issued about his crimes.

"Well, that is why we are not holding a grudge."

[the dusty librarian offers a very small bow of his own in response]

Quote from: ”City Sending by Madrick Marjolo”
By decree of the Banner House Sunpurse, let these words sing across the night. Until such time reparations are made to the satisfaction of House Nephezar the Sons of Conquest mercenary "Meatklyff" is barred from the Peerage grounds on pain of death.
[close]

Bearic

• View Profile
on: July 20, 2020, 07:10:32 AM
"High House Sunpurse Council Meeting Minutes, As recorded by Scribe Alphonso Wineseph, Article A"

House Magus of Oriana Sunpurse. Former Court Wizard. Veteran Retainer, Benedict Vauss:

“At this time we will go over the topics of today's emergent meeting. The most pressing and most obvious being the occupation of Ticker Square by a man who has shirked this Ward.

A secondary point that will be addressed – Are the reparations from House Orza to House Sunpurse for what they are now calling a lone-wolf.”

Orzan Knife Jouvander Don Vindascas:

“My lord has spoken quite clearly on the matter.”

House Magus of Oriana Sunpurse. Former Court Wizard. Veteran Retainer, Benedict Vauss:

“Do any here Raise a tertiary issue?”

House Glitt Retainer Grayson Pilkins:

“Think two's enough for one go.”

House Nephazar Novitiate Liam Morgade:

“If none of you would object – Beauxregard Willspill wished that the matter of the Ninety-fifth Ring be brought before the Council of Peers. Given that he and I have some level of rapport, I would see it done.

“Raise your issue.”

House Nephezar Novitiate Liam:

“In particular, the matter of the aberrant trolls that are running amok – in addition to the rumours of the sibilant.”

“I genuinely don't know how that pertains to the attentions of the Great Houses. This in favour of discussion aye, dissenters, nay.”

House Orza Knife Jouvander:

Aye

Aye

Hosue Nephezar Novitiate Liam:

Aye.

House Velstra Courtier Charlotte Royer:

“Are the sibilant not always fitting about the Ninety-fifth? And trolls, well. They hardly seem too relevant; dwarves will bleed them to extinction given the time. Ah. Well. Aye all the same, I suppose.”

House NephezarNovitiate Liam:

“Ah, a misconception that will be addressed in good time, Madame of Velstra.”

“Wonderful, then.”

“Lets warm up with that, then. So that in the heat of the meeting we can discuss the more important things. Thaumature, please state your case. You have the Flood.

“Beauxregard Willspill is a man that has spent great time and gone to great lengths to study creatures that impugn the god work of God and the king. He has, with the aid of several others, compiled a report.

This report alleges that the trolls of the Ninety-fifth Ring are experiencing gross mutation. Beauxregard lays the blame firmly on the shoulders of the dwarves of Ticker.
As my Velstran colleague pointed out – the dwarves have been decimating the trolls and their ranks. It has left them desperate.

Beauxregard alleges that the surviving trolls are the largest, strongest, and most vile of their kindred, /and/ that they have turned to foul heathen magic to propagate their number
Traits among the troll-kin, that have been confirmed by numerous Ringrunners, include trolls that, when felled, split into smaller, lesser trolls. Trolls that may reach the height of several buildings. Troll bodies dissolving into sludge that is ambulatory and capable of escaping the site of battle.

Now, the House Nephezar has sought to address this matter on our own. However, with the fall of Ticker Square, there are now rumors that the sibilant are mobilizing.
Between aberrant trolls, and a possible Sibliant resurgence, I would consider this to be a matter of safety for the Great Houses. Subhuman filth and the great enemy of the Sibilant surge while the Ninety-ninth bleeds on the Torc.

It is my suggestion that we see flame brought to the swamps, /before/ the trolls overly replenish they numbers, and before the sibilant have time to come to us.

Sunpurse Retainer Minara Hawthrone:

I've seen two-headed trolls, as well.

Velstra Courtier Charlotte Royer:

"The perils keep piling on then, it seems!"

[A visible weighing of the mans words, with the lilt of the veterans mask here and a tip of the shoulder there. Clearly taking in the information, despite his seemingly neutral or uninterested tone.]

Hosue Nephezar Novitiate Liam Morgade:

The matter is now laid before you, for your consideration. [He dips his head.]

A purging of the Swamps? Could be a good little morale booster for the Ward.

House Sunpurse Retainer Minara Hawthorne:

Seems a waste of time and resources when there are more pressing matters here in our own Ring.

House Velstra Retainer Alexandra Winespill:

Hey, if she can talk- why don't we just let the uglies and the lizards kill each other? Trolls eat lizards. I think.

House Nephezar Novitiate Liam Morgade:

Ah, that is certainly one possibility. Certainly.

House Orza Knife Jouvander Don Vindascas:

House Orza isn't interested in the swamps we have our Woods to keep our hunters busy, but we appreciate the report nonetheless.

I don't particularly like those weird trolls. It's criminal to make people do arithmetic when killing trolls. Put one down and you need to count upward to see how many are left

House Velstra Novitiate Liam Morgade:

There is also the possibility that a pact may be struck between reptile and troll. Leaving this to fester is to leave the matter to chance - something I am ill comfortable with.

House Magus of Oriana Sunpurse. Former Court Wizard. Veteran Retainer Benedict Vauss:

I call order, and remind the Houses that only seated representatives are permitted to speak openly to avoid muddled messages and cacophony. Please issue your thoughts into your seated retainers ear.

"I'm not denying it may become a problem in the future, but I am concerned about weakening or spending our collective number against a lesser foe when a greater one is possibly on the horizon."

Sure it's magic they've been using, though? And if so... maybe it's lizard magic?

[He nods slightly.] House Sunpurse agrees with the notion, that there are simply more pressing things to do with our efforts at this time.

Of course, madame of Velstra. I do not deny that the Torc is a more pressing threat. Still - to not bring the matter before Council would be to keep the rest of the Ward ignorant of a threat that yet looms over us.

How's about this... *he puffs on his cigar*

"Of course. And I'm certain we all appreciate the information." [She smiled]

We do nothing for now. Just follow the situation and try to learn more. Won't do to just march in there and kill stuff at random. Need to find the source anyway

We should keep an eye on the situation, and focus on the issue at hand. The Torc. They will surely come for us next, and to thin out into the 95th is welcoming a frontal strike.

As you wish. [He nods.]  Shall we speak of the Torc, then, Bannerman?

Let us indeed move to the most pressing issue for the whole of the ward.

As you all no doubt know, the leader of the Torcs was offered Ticker Square in exchange for the Torcs joining the Peerage. Our Wise Archivist was spurned, and our ward made into joke. This absolutely can not stand.. [He takes a moment to rise, and refresh the runes shrouding the meeting.]

They aim to conquer, not share. And that is bad for all of us.

Right now, there are surely those within Ticker Square who would turn on them, should a martial showing be required.. But this may not be for long. The longer we allow them to entrench, the longer it will take to deal with the infestation.

"Freward had cited a desire to join the Peers in the past. It was either a ploy to keep us out of the ongoing conflict, or he intends to make it happen through force instead."

I'd wager we don't have much time at all, before they're settled and the prospect of removing them to be entirely impossible. [He nods to Royer.]

Aye, those were the words the emissaries said

"I do disagree on that notion though. Ticker Square cannot feed that army. It's less about entrenching, and more about finding their next conquest to sustain themselves."  "Which, ah. Well. Is most likely us." [With a quick smile]

I agree. I have seen first-hand the devastation and carnage that the Torc leaves in its wake. They leave nothing but flame, cinders, and death. Their "lord," Freward, harbors nothing in his heart but a lust for conquest & blind ambition. The way in which he slighted the Royal Archivist is proof enough.

And, doesn't House Orza have an axe to grind with them specifically? Namely, Solomon Krown?

Hosue Orzan Knife Jouvander Don Vindascas:

House Orza will heed the orders of their Lord.  It matters little what is said here, won't we all simply do that. We may decide something, but if a Lord orders something different, there is no doubt we will follow their instructions.

"Well. Yes. We all intend to heed the orders of our respective Lords."

Also, reckon it was their intent to punish the Square for apparently awakening the Nothing. So far all I see is the usual stuff an occupying army does. Loitering and gathering up spoils

House Orzan Knife Jouvander Don Vindascas:

In fact Ser Nicholas has said quite the statement, he said who cares what we say down here in our little hole.

"Indeed he has! But tradition marches on."

Of course. But the intention here, is to find a unifying front so that all the Houses wishes be. Ser Nicholas also heeded the Council, and invoked Duello.

A united Ward will fare far better under these circumstances, indeed.

Hosue Orza Knife Jouvander Don Vindascas:

On terms of Solomon Krown, there is no reason to make a decision for my Lord on his behalf.

Frankly. If we wish to go off half-cocked and do only that which serves our singular house.. We lose. We have to be better than that.

[He nods.]

Hosue Nephezar Chanter Evander Valentine:

[A silent nod of agreement.]

*puffs his cigar* So, is the motion we're discussing going to be whether we should arm up and attack the Torcs in Ticker?

House Magus of Oriana Sunpurse. Former Court Wizard. Veteran Retainer, Benedict Vauss:”

This outlook that you're adopting, Orza, is very distressing indeed. They chewed through Ticker Square... They are not a small Threat. I frankly don't know what we should do.

“An attack now would be ill-advised. However... As mentioned before, their rations will not supply them indefinitely. Let hunger weaken them, and then strike.”

Hosue Velstra Retainer Alexandra Winespill: “Oh!”

House Glitt Retainer Grayson Pilkins: “Reckon it's pretty much assured they've got no plans to leave us be.”

House Magus of Oriana Sunpurse. Former Court Wizard. Veteran Retainer Benedict Vauss:

To wait I fear welcomes recooperation... They won't starve. They'll simply strike sooner.

They are without their insect war-beasts, and I witnessed many scores of their men cut down in the defense of the Hundred and First. They are weak now, let them weaken further. The only thing... [He repeats] The only thing that I am fearful of is their siege weaponry.

What are we voting on?

Royer, why is your Retainer not whispering in *your* ear, and instead buzzing around the heads of my guests like a gnat?

I think it's obvious that we will act defensively and on the orders of the Lords of this Ward.

Uh, it's called politics Benedict, duh.

“And, do you intend to just rest on your laurels until then, House Orza?”

"Oh, I'm sure her maneuvering is ah. Calculated."

I think all here know who has been the /only/ house to actively do anything good for this ward. House Orza will continue to make stride, and I'm sure we will not see you for weeks on end.

Hosue Nephezar Novitiate Liam Morgade: [He furrows his brow at Alexandra.]

Thank you for your vote of confidence, but that house is trying to conduct a serious meeting.

This is why I like Orza the best.

Archivist, please ensure you're getting the lethargy that House Orza is displaying in your minutes. It will be crucial to identification of our failure.

This puny council? That makes you feel important?

If it is puny, serrah of Orza, why attend? If it is irrelevant, why "waste" your time here?

It's hardly vital to anything. A weak banner house, retainers who simply sit in their keeps until another meeting is called. I wanted to hear his demands for Edwina's actions.

Fine, then. Since it is clear we will have no accord on the matter of the Torc - perhaps Orza and Sunpurse should settle their outstanding grievance. Mayhaps then, in the future, meetings will be more productive.

Myself: I am recording all verbal dialogue, indeed.

"Traditionally, small altercations such as those are what the Council is for, yes."

This council has brought about real changes to the Ward. Royer got the gnomes removed, Nicholas got your lords head removed. Perhaps you should strive to be more like House Velstra.

House Velstra? Who allowed Muggbert Skudge into their ranks against the councils orders. Is being praised? Amusing.

Hey, I tried to stop it!

As it is /clear/ the councils orders mean little.

Ye gods, you took that dumb fuck in?

I understand what you are trying to accomplish.

I have no part in this. *Huffs*

But I can't help to think this is meaningless.

[He shakes his head.] We have to do something. If you have better ideas, then by all means share them. But if your plan is simply to react to your orders.. then we can not win.

Myself:

*I would raise my hand slightly*

"The Council is for taking measure of individual opinion while handling smaller issues among collective retainers. I don't believe anyone has claimed anything else, though I do agree we're in no position to decide anything regarding the Torc."

House Orza will defend the Ward. That should be clear, we have done so time and time again. I think that means to listen to our Lords Order on the matter.

Something. Perhaps close the Crossroads business so that they can't be supplied. I don't know.  [A glance to the Archivist.] Come to the table.

Myself:

Thank you. I just wanted to speak upon the martial prowess of the Copper Torc, perhaps, if that is acceptable

That is agreeable with me, Scribe. I know well that you saw firsthand what they can do.

[A nod.]

Myself:

Thank you. *I would dip my head* Their numbers are seemingly endless, their men are well trained, and they field assortments quite dangerous and powerful. Their archers loft horsemen and the knives that move among shadows are of most concern, beyond the siege weaponry and raiding technologies they possess.

They would likely be keen upon drawing new bridge over the moat, and raiding by numbers, catapults, and arrows.

As well, they used less than honorable tactics to undermine the defence of Ticker This was the worst of it

That's war for you.

Myself: 

Before they had a chance to defend themselves, they found themselves betrayed a number of times. From within

Yes - an assassin struck at one of the Guildmasters, and the Third Company retreated afterward.

Myself:

I would ask you all to perhaps be cautious of any developments in diplomatic fields in the future - they can not be trusted upon their word, and they will not work within the kings' grand honor. Thank you for your time.

[He nods] A well made point. Does anyone else have anything to say on this?

I return to my seat among the cushions.

"Archers on horses?" [Under her breath, brow arched]

Hosue Nephezar Novitiate Liam Morgade:

Indeed. They are skilled horsemen. One of their lances nearly ended me.

Think we've gotten all the diplomacy there is. Man refused, despite earlier words. Doesn't want to play house

Myself:

Flaming arrows, yes. Apologies, if I spoke out of turn

You are quite fine, Scribe.

Then we will move to the final issue. Reparations for damages.

House Sunpurse has sustained a queer blow indeed, from the back by one of the now perished Retainers. We therefore seek 10,000 groat of reparations, and to move on from this. House Orza has been claiming her to be a lone wolf, but Veteran retainer Haliax has in fact endorsed her actions publically, and this will not stand.

Can those of us not Orza or Sunpurse get some details?

"Yes, I confess I'm a bit out of the loop; too much time spent within the estate."

House Orza Retainer Gervasy Igorevich:

In danger? Look --- Who hurt you? [His voice raises a tilt from passion, and he shakes his head.]

The way I see it, whoever you are, is that because two of your retainers we aided in gathering Demetri's body from the Ponds. In the efforts one of ours died to assailants. In rage one of our members attacked you and yours, and died. Two have died on each side for this. The matter is settled.

Haliax had command of the situation, and was fully invested in appealing to his dark machinations. The death of your retainer Ethiene was a tragedy. But to name us as the cause is unacceptable. She attacked our House, after a whisper of endorsement by your veteran retainer. Let me start from the beginning for those here.

[He nods, and then goes to speak] - An important matter: was the assailant wearing the livery of Orza when she struck the Bannerhouse?

House Glitt Retainer Gervasy Igorevich:

[He clenches his jaw.]

We sought to remove the pondsman who was squatting in the old estate in the Ponds. There was a grouping called, and assassins came in and killed one of ours and started a skirmish. By the end of this pre-emptive skirmish, Retainer Demetri Arte - may he rest under the auspice of His Majesty - was taken.

Together with House Orzas retainership in tow, we marched upon the estate, and Krin Haliax took the lead. I was only concerned at that time with getting our Retainer out.. Haliax made a threat, and they instantly slew Art.. We then purged them all from the place.. One of Orzas retainers getting caught in the cross-

A minor altercation about a wedding is stroked out from the records

.. Retainer died.. Uh.  Right.

You all can deliberate what you wish about this.

But I will state this clearly. You will not demand anything form House Orza, if you wish to offer a challenge then so be it, but remember in your in activity I've gained more prestige here than you. Perhaps the Warlock has as well, it will be a mercy for either of us to accept this challenge.

After which, the one named Edwina announced an attack upon us. Cursing us all. And Haliax endorsed this, claiming we were doing nothing for the ward, or some nonsense.. She then DID attack.

House Orza Knife Jouvander Don Vindascas: [He stands without warning]. A knife of Orza is ordered by only one person. You may all enjoy this meeting, perhaps Gervasy will stay.

We seek 10,000 groats of reparations, or we will retaliate.

But this is clearly beneath me, Hawthorne, let me out. A simple threat from you is nothing. My skills? Are to kill people like you.

Please continue, Bannerman Vauss. An important question - was the alleged assailant wearing the livery of House Orza when she struck?

I earned this cloak for a reason.

This isn't a small matter. It is our Pride.

Then offer a challenge of Duellio, and see who answers.

[He rips off a gauntlet and lets it clatter against the table.]

It is you handling things as a member of the Great Houses.

Will you fight for your pride, sirrah?

Mind yourself here Gervasy, he may turn on you.

Or is all you are some dusty-tombed mouth?

This council is being petitioned by House Sunpurse to uphold our own.

He /shirks/ from the challenge of Duello?

Would you quit bleating? I'm trying to address men and women of gentry.

It is...  Perhaps in poor taste for the Bannerhouse to decline an issue of duello, Bannerman.

House Velstra Retainer Niven Scurlock:

Is a duel an unacceptable resolution for House Sunpurse? Would House Ozra accept a penalty of Groat should they lose?

Will you stand with your Bannerhouse, as we would you?

[He looks back to Niven.] A word spoken out of turn, yet well spoken all the same. Is that not an agreeable compromise to all?

I have extended to you - the /BANNERHOUSE/ - an offer of resolution by strength of arms. As is the way in this Ward. As has been the way of our forefathers, and their fathers before them for generations...  And you /reject/ it.

A penalty of groat unto Orza, should they lose the duello. The issue dropped altogether, should Orza prevail.

House Sunpurse is yet in mourning, and without a swordsman.

House Glitt Grayson Pilkins:

Duels have been the usual way to solve these things, that much is true... *takes a fresh drag*

Then it stands to reason that the Bannerhouse should seek one to stand as its champion.

House Orza Gervasy Igorevich:

My friends... the halcyon days of Sunpurse are quite clearly over. Listen as this man mewls and makes excuses, even as he wears his House's colours and speaks on their behalf.

Who are you?

The what days?

Brightest, serrah of Glitt. He is saying that Sunpurse's sun is setting.

The man that has challenged you to Duello, milksop.

I don't speak fancy, is all

[He clicks his tongue and retrieves his gauntlet.] Do take a long and lasting look at the Banner, sirrah. It will not remain in these halls for long.

Hosue Glitt Retainer Grayson Pilkins:

Well, tournament's still a while away

[He sucks his teeth quietly.] Duello is accepted.

Madam Domina Lucretia:

Benedict-

Excellent. I am Gervasy Igorevich. Who are /you/?

Who?

The man that has challenged you to Duello. We can run around in circles in the pit, sirrah.

I am Benedict Vauss, former first Magus of Our Majesty. The Man who ended the terror of Cynthia Catsby. The One who restored Warrenwatch from the machinations of Ruul Velstra.

But you will need to stop quaking in your chausses first.

... Marvelous, you know each others names. You have your terms: to Sunpurse, a tithe of groat from Orza, if they prevail. If Orza prevails, the matter is dropped. Is that agreeable to both Houses?

Do I look to be quaking? I am outraged at your houses disrespect and flagrant dismissal of courtesy. We are men of gentry, and you bleat like a rutted goat. This Council is dismissed.
[close]

Bearic

• View Profile
on: September 20, 2020, 07:35:29 AM
P  - Perfection is impossible in the realms of the judge. Scouring for answers, seeking solutions to problems arising; picking the truth from the lies.

Heavy is the crown of the King, I can only imagine from my limited experiences trying to mitigate and governor the Ward. How curious it was that this confidence is bestowed upon me with such utter dread behind it, the Parliament Seat, Council controls, trials and so forth.

However, it is all clear in hindsight. Through Duello, Through Audit, Through Amendment and Measure, I've seen Retainer die, Foul Men and Murders circumvent ruling, and a ever present burden of documentation and task.

Q - Questions nag at my mind constantly.

Lady Vindascas' death weighed heavily on my mind for a great deal of time, if Ser Vindascas was simply appealed, and the Harcourts were executed for their crimes instead of tried, would the Ward have them now competing in the King's Tourney?

If I had been able to question Retainer Null, would De Foye have been caught in his grand scheme?

If someone had stopped Ailias Weaver, would the Champion of Moonspear had been bested by the Champion of the Vale?

And what of the Butcher, he spoke of innocence while cut down that night, of his service to the King - was it really such a long con?

R - Resilience: This is all I can seemingly muster as the Nothing approaches and I watch House bicker and tear each other apart for the King's Appeasement and Honor.

I must trust the convictions and decisions cast before us, and trust that the Retainers of the Ward, no matter their means, will do honor for our Peerage, and keep the Ninety-Ninth intact. The King seems to be close to rending his judgement, if we are fit to survive the Nothing and repel it, or if it shall pass our Ring and devour all we knew.

Bearic

• View Profile
on: October 10, 2020, 05:13:20 AM
S - Sacrament; King's Mercy!

What would it be to find an aide in my service to the King!? That Edmund did not leave to fight the Nothing which comes to us! That this Janitor did not ply at controversial materials for little benefit of his station?

That the Royal Archivist might have to defend a scribe in the archives? That one might need to be interrogated so? That assassins might be set upon me. That the numerologist might nearly give victory to the Nothing, dishonorably at that!?

That blasphemer might be branded upon the heads of those found wanting in service to the Lord Departed? I trust Dame Einhardt, but I see the scowls, and looks of the retainers of Nephezar in power anew.

Order is a delicate balance, and my own trials are nothing in the face of the plight the Ward faces - we just proved victorious in the Tourney, our stations here might be plied from us at any moment. Darkness. Dissolution. I hope and pray my collections of knowledge, my works inform the Royal Archivist upon the course to save our Peerage. I hope and pray that Honorable Retainers such a Dame Einhardt continue their tasks for our betterment - even if I know we are not of the same cloth.

However, I know there is always a Seventh Face in wait seeking to disrupt good solemn Word and steal a voice forever more - rattling its broken bones.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 05:15:05 AM by Bearic »

Bearic

• View Profile
on: October 18, 2020, 02:15:02 AM
T - Tribulation

When will the rain stop pouring?

Bearic

• View Profile
on: October 29, 2020, 05:26:17 AM
U  - Unable to meet with syncreticism, bending, but unwilling to break my bonds.  I pray now only for Absolution, and linger upon the words of my Royal Archivist...

The Royal Archivist: The wisdom of the King is greater than us all, wouldn't you say?  It is as though he can foresee all that will occur.

The Royal Archivist: After your service, you have no reason to be worried.  So long as you continue your service to our King.

The Royal Archivist: The day will come that we call upon you, and much burden falls upon your shoulders.  Be ready for when that day comes.

I can not fail.

Bearic

• View Profile
on: December 15, 2020, 08:32:52 AM
V - Vicious climate, this cold winter withering my naive spring

The Royal Archivist: We all make the best decisions we can with the information we have.

I replied... "things have been ever so difficult of late.", What a joke? Difficult, when I still had the ground below my feet, and two hands. When the knaves didn't lick their lips to press my misery.

The Royal Archivist: Yes, they are difficult for us all.

What am I working towards now? What does this silver palm gleam now that they've taken my home and shattered it to ash? When a usurper takes throne and I am taunted as nothing; debris in the wind. Crawling away... Kingward.

He was like a father to me... And we were surrounded by so many knives all at once.