Author Topic: To Nana Carlian: An Ongoing Collection of Philsophical Guff  (Read 34 times)

TheMoonlightWaltz

• View Profile
Dear Nana,

After some consideration and evaluation of our friendship I have decided to periodically write down some of the adages, parables, fables, and other lessons that I've picked up in life and entrust a copy of it into your hands. I know that, after a fashion, such a goal must seem daft and I can already hear you and everyone else telling me that I'm better served delivering it into Saibhon's hands, but I will explain why I deliver it to you instead.

Setting aside that you've become quite a close friend to me, I also believe that these teachings are more valuable given to you than they are to Saibhon. Saibhon is a man already entrenched in his own personal philosophy, already quite versed in the ways of philosophical thinking, and, well, he and I already discuss matters of philosophy in the rare moments we're afforded each other's company.

With this in your hands, it gives you the opportunity to ruminate over the lessons if you so please , to adapt it to your own personal philosophy and, if the worst should happen to me, it would be my hope that it could help you grow and cope in my absence.

Please remember my words, my thoughts, my guidance has only ever been that: guidance. I do not give you this with the expectation or belief that you will live your life as I want you to, only with the hope that it can help guide you as you walk your own path.

... So let's start with one I've repeated often.

The Flag or the Wind?

Two sages stood before a flagpole on a windy day.
One sage pointed and said "Look, see how the flag moves?"
The second replied, "You're wrong. It's the wind that's moving."
A third, overhearing this approached, shaking his head. "It's neither the wind nor the flag. It's your mind that's moving."

Take a moment to consider the meaning of this story. What do you think it is?

I believe that it illustrates the desire we have in life to find explanations and answers to all things, however frivolous the pursuit. The sages debate whether the flag moves or whether seeing the flag move is evidence of the wind's movement, but as the third points out... They're chasing answers.

Do you ever find yourself seeking answers even when the answer ultimately means little?

I believe that there's a great deal of tranquility to be had in letting the world be as it is around you. To accept that the world moves around us and that, sometimes, we really don't need any deeper answer.

Seek Serenity,
Lucille Olivier