Troll bog quest, consider raising it up again..?

Started by sankarul, August 14, 2020, 10:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sankarul

Hi. I would just toss in my own thoughts on it and why I think I'd love to see it raised back to 10, or maybe just 9. I dunno.

See, as a level 9, there are few quests I can join the buddies with these days. Just rare seams really. But 95 was always there. Sure, trolls gave a lot, so maybe make sure it won't give as much XP anymore. But I really enjoyed the aspect of tagging along on a little trip to the 95th and doing some fun quests every now and then.

Now, if someone were to set up a group to the 95th, there's a big chance I can't do 1 of the 2 guaranteed quests to pop up. Which is just a bit of a disappointment.

My suggestion is just this: Make it 9 or 10 again, and lower the XP. If the XP given is based on the level of the quest? Maybe make it just 9 at least, so all the quests are available to 9 there again.

Fully understand if you want to keep the quest as is now for a while longer. Just voicing my concerns as I had a bit more fun with how it was set up before :) Thanks for reading.

VanillaPudding

It seems like the XP was already reduced a ton alongside the level drop. I'd also support increasing the level cap back to even 10 with no XP gains just so folks at those levels can TRY to keep some supplies going.

Disorder

Please return it to level 9 max so it will be in line with all other swamp quests.

Egon the Monkey

This appears to be part of a general trend to "Nerf the overdone quests" which unfortunately backfires massively.

• Quests A, B and C are open to Level 9-10s.
  • They all get done a lot as  your entire faction can play, rather than having to split up.
  • Quest A is getting spammed and thus gets the drops nerfed.
  • Quest A is still getting spammed but only by optimal teams who can make a profit.
  • Quest B is now being spammed because pick-up teams can resupply on it and not get slaughtered
  • Quest B is nerfed down to 3-8, and now quest C is the one that's being spammed.
  • Everyone is sick of quest C but the L9 PCs would like to be able to make some money and supplies to do non quest stuff.
The ongoing cycle of nerfing is just encouraging optimal teams and spamming an increasingly small number of quests. It's ironically super bad for variety, as people gravitate to the optimal balance of Not Too Murderous and We Can All Go.

The best solution DMs have come up with IMO is what happened in the Water gardens. There's a pool of quests but only one spawns per reset. This enforces variety, as you can't choose to do the "best" one. But they're all good quests worth doing.

My PC was L10 for a while and Trolls was one of the very few quests I could reliably get on a team for and actually resupply. Without the fact I had Apothecary dissipating potions and my Herbalism recipes to fall back on, I'd probably have given up on exploration and plot chasing or ended up kind of broke. The nerf cycle is opening up a big gap between optimal crush teams and everyone else, and that's kind of sad.