Increase attack range of halberds over that of spears

Started by Eraamion, August 25, 2020, 06:22:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eraamion

Halberds now have shorter range than spears, which is odd given the weapon size/length. I suggest to increase the range of halberds so that it is more than the spear range.

Kiaring

Current PC: Acolyte Itziyal Neniarral

Disorder

And then we'll have to increase range for two handed swords too? Because halberds will have greater range.
Think the real solution in doing something about the spears.

Kiaring

Two handed swords are not polearms. Halberd and spears are weapons which by their very nature prioritize longer range over, say maneuverability.
Current PC: Acolyte Itziyal Neniarral

Disorder

Currently two-handed swords should have longer range, than the halberds. While I welcome that spears attack range was tweaked and thus increased it seems that by doing that an avalanche of tweaks should be made so all the weapon ranges would match former status quo. Next suggestion that will be made if halberds will be tweaked is going to be: "Please, increase the range for the two-handed swords." That's my take on a situation.
It seems that spears now have longer range than people expect, so it seems logical to do something about them, rather than starting tweaking the rest of the weapons,

Paha

We will be adjusting what we adjust, based on our observations and tests with the schedule we can and are happy with. This won't be much up to greater discussions, to be perfectly blunt. With polearms it has some clear idealogical significance to adjust it a bit as is likely with polearms, as it fits the idea and function of those. These decisions will be made internally and based on our tests and intentions, we won't get into massive nuances of realism and facts with each weapon type.

SamB123

Quote from: Kiaring on August 26, 2020, 09:25:18 AM
Two handed swords are not polearms. Halberd and spears are weapons which by their very nature prioritize longer range over, say maneuverability.
Actually...

Due to sheer size and weight of most two-handed weapons, they functionally had the same reach as a spear or short pike.