Some suggestions :)

Started by VanillaPudding, September 04, 2020, 08:18:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanillaPudding

Wizards can now brew potions / craft wands as a base skill - These items are plane touched and using them causes planar sickness

Druids and legitimate small faith clerics of the rings (only those listed small faiths / dm approved creations) can cleanse 1 potion of planar contamination ( / level / day at the cost of 1xp each. )

Cleric -

* Battletide now applies to nearby allies within the aura for the duration of the spell
*Clerics can now cast raise dead. Each person in the vicinity can opt in to sharing in experience loss, up to some % decided upon later, in order to help their ally. (0 is also an option for them and the cleric, though the raise dead can still function as if raised with full penalty)
*Healing circle now applies SLOW regen (1) for 1 turn / level after the initial effect to all allies healed
* Circle of doom is the inverse of Healing circle. Applies a SLOW negative damage tick to all affected targets (healing undead with SLOW regen (1) for 1 turn / level
*Inflict wounds spells now apply wounding to the target with no save (pending touch attack success)
*Prayer is now an aura. The duration has changed to 2 rounds / level
* Glyph of warding now applies a damage shield on the target for 1 turn / level. Damage type based upon alignment (Positive, magical, negative) The shield damage matches flame weapon evolution.
*Bless is now an aura - Duration and effect unchanged - Self Only

Turn undead effects of primary domains can now be selected (/c turn 1, 2, 3 - /c turn assign X for default number))

Druid -

*Inferno now effects a large rather than single target. Damaged reduced to 2d4 fire / round
* Vine Mine effects removed - Vine Mine now crumbles the earth below the target, causing them to be slowed by 50%. Each round the target makes a reflex save to reduce this by 10%. Upon impact, and upon failed save, the  target takes 2d4 points of blunt damage (physical).
* Mass camouflage is now a large aura, granting allies within it the bonus effects (non stacking with other similar auras)
*Flame strike now leaves behind a small burning patch of ground. Enemies who enter it suffer (wall of fire) effect
*Spike growth now only targets hostile targets
*Infestation of maggots is now contagious upon failed save. The DC of maggots reduces just as other area of effects would each round. It may infect a maximum of 1 target / 2 levels.
* Healing sting now applies temporary hit points to the caster (allows healing above max hp, similar to vamp touch). Upon casting healing sting the Druid receives an OnHit effect of HealingSting of the same level for 1round / caster level. (The Druid stings anyone attacking them with the spell for 1 round / level duration. This effect cannot be extended / refreshed)

Fighter-

Fighter perks may now be used once every 10 minutes
All Pure Fighters now gain the "Ignorance is bliss" trait - Dispels against them are at a -4 check. Mind effects are at a -2 DC.   Multiclassing negates this bonus

All pure fighters gain the "warriors way" trait. This bestows them with a +1 AB for 1/round / level against any racial type slain (does not stack, hatred domain effect on self when slaying racial types). They also gain this effect when being attacked by racial types. Multiclassing negates this bonus.

Other things to come

Ser Shroom

I might make a larger post about the wholesale suggestions but I definitely want to remark on Raise Dead

I fully agree this should be an ability that is available to PC clerics.  My understanding is that we are in a climate now where the only clerics able to cast level 5 spells are ones who have received  a DM loot relic?

If this is the case I would say that any cleric with the ability to cast this spell is already one that has the tacit approval of the DMs as a well characterized, well portrayed cleric who therefore  wouldn't trivialise that sort of miracle.

It also gives clerics a very clear 'This is something only my class can do' niche at higher levels which I hope would make them more attractive to play and a strong incentive for them to be played in a way to be worthy of recieving those high level relics.

LaughingAlong

Gotta say, I like all of the idea's myself, except for probably two of the fighter ones, which I think would be good with a bit of editing.

The first one? Rad

TLDR: There are enough varied buff potions, items, and equipment out there to boost will saves, on top of fighter feats allowing already room for one of the most valuable will save feats ever, iron will. They don't need more will buff, because if you build properly with that buff, and pair the items right, you essentially become a fighter that while not immune to casters, can laugh at any of them who hasn't built sun elf 22 intelligence GSF spellcasting. I agree with the dispel resistance however, since if fighters could not get their potion CL  buffs  clean wiped at the first dispel, I feel some of these issues with the class wouldn't be as severe. Will is a fighters weakness anyhow.

The second? I like the dispel penalty, really, I think fighters could use a bit more durability against that, so they aren't having to spend an entire half-battle trying to rebuff to be relevant, at all, against anything that isn't a pushover, after having already busted a lot of potions which are now wasted because one dispel stripped them entirely of their potion caster level buffs, which from personal experience? Immensely disappointing and discouraging, hence why I typically play casters, you still get dispelled, but you've usually wasted 10x less valuable supplies to rebuff, and/or your not in the front or main target anyways, and and and of course you get to dispel yourself depending on caster type.

But the mind bonus.. Thats more fitting for a fighter perk itself, yes fighters suffer in the will department, but that's kind of the main weakness they have for being so strong physically. That'd be the same as me asking as a wizard if I could have +2 to fortitude and reflex on my wizard so I can avoid getting roflstomped by the first fort save that comes my way that my spells can't guard against (in fighters positions, it's potions, typically PfA potions as they do give a decent bonus, and really, stop sleeping on owls wisdom potions fighters, that +1-2 will can make so much difference) or the first tanglebag and now I'm a sitting squish for anyone with strategy.

And yeah, you can say that phantasmal killer, hold person, confusion and the like can end a whole battle instantly, and that's true. But most people don't have more than a few of these memorized at a time, if even more than one with spellslot availability and level determination (that's scaling after all) phantasmal killer involves a fort save, fighters are for the most part fine. Confusion and hold person are a bit more painful, but quite a few items and potions exist with a multitude of ways to protect against these. Other will saves hurt yes, but again, its the same as a wizard for their failing saves, eventually, even with my 14 con, 14 dex, I run into the save that punks me that my spells just couldn't guard against. Same for any non-save focused class. And not to mention, fighters get so many feats, iron will, lightning reflexes, and the like aren't really so hard to get, iron will is almost always something I take, and additionally, if your willing to let your wisdom be a 8, and not at least a 10 or 12, that's just a weakness of the build.

The third also definitely seems like a perk bonus, I don't see why fighter should get a soft ranger buff that is capable of making any enemy a favored enemy that a ranger also has to hit 3rd level to benefit from to begin with. It's also unfitting rply, and fighters have the capability for the best AB besides barbarians, if not better when built well with a solid perk.

VanillaPudding

Quote from: Eraamion on September 04, 2020, 05:24:08 PM
QuoteWizards can now brew potions / craft wands as a base skill - These items are plane touched and using them causes planar sickness

What is the rationale behind making potions and wands a universally available commodity and obsoleting any NPC potion/wand sellers?
What would happen if wizards pay groat for learning the feats?

To be blunt, no one buys from NPCs for wands or potions unless they are very special vendors. Even then they are often priced quite a bit higher. The rationale is the Wizards in this setting are seen differently than in prior settings. Their magic causes planar sickness as it is and this is a method to expand upon that (at a cost) if you desire to drink vials from a wizard. You could instead drink safer  potions and use stable wands  from other sources! Most of this chapter has a feeling that I think isn't quite fleshed out (Peerage disliking sub-humans, time-keeping and other King's edicts, Wizard magics and the planes, etc). This just touches on one of those as a means to expand it a bit. Lastly, it promotes more player trade and opens up Wizards to more concepts without the cost of feats, as their counterparts wield powerful perks that they do not have access to.

As for the second statement, Wizards would not longer need to pay for this, similar to scribe scroll, though I don't really see the purpose of the question.

The Old Hack

I just wanted to say I agree with @LaughingAlong about fighters getting dispelled. I have tried it from both sides. I remember once counting stripping eleven buffs off a hapless hostile with one dispel magic, and conversely playing a fighter who got most or all buffs removed, again by one dispel.

parthenos

i feel as if the fighter buffs would see the class disproportionally strong and overplayed, although the other suggestions are cool. i agree with making crafting more accessible, there is literally nothing to gain from gating it behind a feat/farming criteria. more supply means more fun, or whatever.

SunrypeSlim

I like the idea of activatable combat perks returning without a rest. Tying them to the Barbarian Rage mechanic might allow some recycling of scripts? A 14 Wis, 14 Cha Fighter should definitely recover their perk earlier than an 8 Wis, 8 Cha Fighter.

As to the other Fighter stuff, while I don't agree with the extra +1 AB, I definitely agree that vulnerability to Dispel is a problem for Fighters. Combat is such a small part of the main EfU gameplay loop; most of it is socializing and resource management. Certainly a Fighter doesn't have to spend all their time Fighting; many perks lend themselves to mercenary work on the threat that their MIGHT be hostilities. But there are very few ways for a Fighter to earn money that don't involve Fighting; I'm referring to the lack of skill points, class skills, and spells (y'know, crafting). My point is: When a Fighter gets dispelled, it hits them directly in the GP, and they have the least individual capacity to replace it.

So I would recommend, instead of new abilities, the smallest change with the biggest impact would be: A store for Pure Fighters in Ring 99. Not for unique items, but for essential 1st and 2nd circle potions: Seeing, Blur, Prot. V. Align., Strength, Healing- the basics. Drop the price in that store to compete with (not undercut) PC potion sellers. Have the NPC explicitly say they're not for resale, and he or she will come after you if you do. Doing this would give Fighters more independence without changing how they play.
PM me for an apology! :3

SN

Fighter-  Fighter perks may now be used once every 10 minutes

This, please, yes.