The Legend of Saint Angvald Khauzat-Gaur

Started by Grix, September 28, 2020, 01:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grix

Wow, I don't even know what to say! What an amazing ride this character was!

One year ago, I created a throw away character to play alongside a friend. A year later, that throw-away character became one of the most compelling stories I've had the joy to participate in, in a long long time. His concept was simple. I wanted to make a dwarven version of Thor.

Angvald was a pure sorcerer: contriver, who spent this life pretending to be a fighter. His build never should have worked and believe me, did he take some punishment along his journey. Eventually though, Angvald came together as a force of nature that left countless quests, rings, stories and vanquished foe in his wake.

By the time he retired, he had: 110HP, 2 APR, +1 Regeneration, 25% Physical Damage Immunity, 10% Acid Immunity and 20% Negative Immunity, Permanent Death Armor, Immunity: Slow, +1 Bonus Caster Level and all the magic of a level 10(+1) Sorcerer. Nearly every item he wore was DM loot from one adventure or another, including several permadeath adventures. Normally, I'd be all too eager to show off all the brilliant trophies, but for this character I find myself unable. I do not want him remembered by his treasures. I will say, they made a big difference though, but they are not what made Angvald.

Angvald is a story of determination, even if you have an utterly abysmal un-optimal build, if you stick with it, you can move mountains. 81 Deaths over the last year. About a third of them post level 10. XP comes and goes. Sometimes it comes or goes in tidal waves. A fun character isn't about your build. It's not about your level. It's not about how bad you crush quests, or they crush you. It's all about determination and drive. Find your story and tell it, no matter how difficult, and everything else will come in time. Angvald was a throw-away character who hung on and reached ring one at the end of a year of playing him. He was a beloved character to me and I am so grateful that he was given such a rare thing: A beginning, a middle... and a perfect end. The perfect end. He stayed true to who he was and gave everything for his friends. From start to finish.

If I listed off all the influential characters it would take an age of man and I'd still miss some. Let me just say, thank you all. His friends, his enemies, his dear Unbroken. It was a wild ride guys, but we made it. For those of you unsure if you want to run the rings, please... please... Do it. It's worth every second of the adventure. Just be ready to wipe away giant tears...

Thank you to all of you who made him such a huge personality and such a treat to play. Especially the DM team, I am blown away by the thought you guys have put into this! Bravo!

I still cant believe this mad-dwarf reach ring 1....

One more time!

BAROOOOOOOOOOOO!

Aethereal

Quote from: Aethereal on September 27, 2020, 05:41:41 AMThen there is Angvald. Ah, he is a terrific dwarf – Hroom! Indeed, good old Angvald with whom the conception of the what would be the Truthseekers arose atop Silverspike. I have so little to say of him simply because I have so much to say of him – much of which I already have. He's a friend, through and through.

Well, what a journey. The Truthseekers were really my first taste of proper Ringrunning as a coordinated group, and after watching them break apart I never thought Aethelwine would have made it to the centre with Angvald. Yet that these two Truthseekers did venture forth again together all the way to the end was indeed much like the story, perfect.

Good job, Grix.

Oh and hahaha... that's Sean Gorrick of all people next to Beodda in that screenshot isn't it. Donning the colours of the Stonebuilders after being thrown out of House Velstra. He who was Royally Castigated for taking his own life...
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

It is through Art, and through Art only, that we can realise our perfection.

Richørd

Well done.

There, those two words encapsulate all I can say. Speechless.

SergeantWombat

Jello!

Quarterdragon

I enjoyed playing with Angvald across both of my PCs, but it bears saying that our last adventure was one of the finest experiences I've had on EFU.  We had waited five months to tackle a certain challenge out of fear that we would not be enough, and discovering that we were put a wind in my sails that carried me far past what I thought was possible, far more quickly than I expected.  I am so glad that you finally reached Baz'eel, and that the momentum from running those few rings that had held us up for so long carried through a staggering number of rings afterwards, all the way to the center.  Angvald has some moments along the way that made me tear up, both from laughter and from pathos, and it was an honor to share that road with him.

Abala

CaptLars

Amazing work, cant wait to see what you do next.

Aethereal

I just also had to add that, I really liked Angvald's voice emote of farewell too:

Quote from: Angvald Khauzat-GaurI'll be back when you need me.

It seemed to encapsulate the character so well. That sense of always being there for a friend... Even the best endings can be bittersweet, because it is still farewell.
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

It is through Art, and through Art only, that we can realise our perfection.

Canadianloki

Trolls speed run champion of 2020. Angvald was always fun to quest with or listen anytime he gave a speech about the ancestors. A shame I didn't get to delve too deep with him about the Ancestors but Snori will be happy to share what he passed down to any folk making the crossing for the first time

efuincarnatereturns

LEGEND!!!!!

Angvald was and forever now will be.

Well done sir, well done.

SN

SamB123

Never interacted with Angvald directly.

However, while I was playing a Nephezar thaumaturge, RWG's Knave (Beauxregard) promised House Nephezar some rare, magical blood if we hunted down Angvald. At the time, Angvald had fled deeper into the Rings, of course, because the Arbiters were trying to get Ordyn and Angvald to kill each other. Anyway, despite never even meeting Angvald in-game, it was pretty cool that we knew his name and that he was a dwarven sorcerer.  :D