Author Topic: [The Completely Unordinary – Indeed Magnificent – Journal of Mattermead Gold]  (Read 419 times)

I am Mattermead Gold

• All that is Gold glitters.
    • View Profile
As I tend to forget things on occasion – and don’t we all?! – I am writing a few reminders to myself of the grand accomplishments and supreme mastery I have reached and breached in this little City of Rings.

Notes to Self: It is not that I forget, it is more that I have so much stored within the great labyrinthine librarium that is my mind that it sometimes takes a very long time to reach whichever corner, alcove, or locked up shelf I left that thing I was searching for. I do know that in my brilliance I shall find it nonetheless, so it’s hardly a matter, hardly a matter at all for Mattermead!

Thus, let it be remembered that:

• I effortlessly solved the puzzle of the hundredth ring and crossed into the ninety-ninth.
  • My strength is wizardry.  A society of magi would be just the thing to capture the attentions of the Ring.
  • Prestige is my carrot.
  • I lead the Chao Maelificarum (in times long past?)
  • I should probably take over the Rumour Mill, but I don’t want to write... and therefore I should find writers (preferably wizardly tome-binders).
  • I need to find my old friend, Kensington Schwiffletartsengraft, where is he?!
  • I saved a poor little puppy trapped in a cave, its plight pulled upon the strings of my heart. I cared greatly to help a lowly unthinking creature so.
  • I am a Master Conductor of Rituals and I know how to party.
  • Apparently I am a conjurer...
  • I need to talk to my old colleague the Lady Matron Soppira Hinkley.
  • The planar puppy turned humanoid owes me favours for the illustrious business career I enabled for it. (I should remember the appropriate wards this time when dealing with it.)
  • The past is the past, the present can be ignored, I should turn my eyes to the future.
  • The Arbiters must have done this to me... the Arbiters of the Hundred Scrolls. I need to play the game better (analyse this line, there’s layers to it...)
  • I need to get back to the Wizard Warrens, I need to find Atasorii Tur-Man and my seat that awaits.
  • What happened to Nora?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 01:37:29 AM by I am Mattermead Gold »

I am Mattermead Gold

• View Profile
Memory is still a haze but I know that I am who I am; this is a certainty.

It is all just so very strange that I have such trouble remembering all of the things that I have done. It is troubling too that I do not even remember Lady/Matron Soppira Hinkley’s face anymore and I can barely recall her voice, it was so... high pitched? Yes, something about the Complainful Guild of Whiners. Was that what she did with her life after finishing up with my Chao Maelificarum and whatever it was that the Arbiters did to me, to us? How long had the Arbiters kept me in stasis exactly? Were they stealing my memories and siphoning off my immense knowledge and power for their own ends? Whispers, Whispers, the Whispers ceaseless and terrible, subjects of my dreams, statements from a world full of nonsense. A man killed for not drinking his soup, a mere alley dog hunted like it were some kind of ungodly menace, endless cries of Duello!, ‘Royal Castigations’ on high by a voice that sounded like a choir of angels all stuffed inside the larynx of an upset teenager, oh boo hoo, cry more dweeb! All of those things and more have jumbled up my memory but I am putting it all together and the timelines are matching up: Arbiters, always the Arbiters. Beware of the Arbiters. They are liars, fibbers of the highest degree, charlatans and fiends hell bent on dominating reality and subverting the Weave of Magic towards their own ends or is it The End.

Either way, as I have had to remind myself, the past is the past, the present can be ignored, all that matters is the future!* So I do declare that the future is now! I have already begun to align everything together – building upon the foundation of my past and the great reputation I, Mattermead Gold, have achieved in this City of Rings, I shall attend Convocation and oh shall I convoke. I can barely wait to convoke! I will convoke just as I was born to do, it is in my veins, it is something foundational to my being, and it portends ritual. Grand ritual.

Back down in the shallow end of reality I have met the Court Wizard Lindqvist, formerly the Junior Scribe of the Royal Archives; this latter fact a great peculiarity given his advanced age. There are discrepancies all about this man, including the title he currently wields. My research suggests that the position of the Royal Court Wizard was abolished, further confirmed by Lindqvist himself in the mention that the tower Warrenwatch and the staff associated with it has been destroyed after the Slaadomancy of one Cynthia Catsby destabilised and further ruined the Wizard Warrens. This is both good and bad news. The fact that the Wizard Warrens is now a wasteland means that I have no reason to bother with Ringrunning. This is an excellent development because I had formerly put forth the effort to make my way there. Since I have already been there, the Arbiters have clearly stolen my keys and my keystones, so why should I put in double the effort to do something I have already done before? It is pointless really, utterly pointless. Though I do need to talk to Soppira about what happened next... it seems she stopped writing after I and my brother/friend/colleague with whom I had a symbiotic relationship had a misunderstanding. Oh well, as I say, the past is the past...

That brings us back to the future. Further research indicates that the last individual declaring themselves to be Court Wizard was an apprentice of some Magus named Golfaldus, one ‘Lykaon Konphas VII’. Now, this puts Lykaon Konphas VII and Karl Lindqvist in direct contestation as they both seem to hold the same title, which is a clash of realities in and of itself. It is however an irrelevant contestation because as the archaeologist Etzio Algaretti writes the whole of 93 is a shame and shambles. All of this brings me to one conclusion, that Karl Lindqvist is a worthy colleague indeed, and I did receive this first impression as I spent time with the old chap. We have already begun wizardly relations in the style of courteous magocracy as I introduced one of my apprentices to him and his elucidations upon the upcoming Convocation and the agenda at hand are most enticing.

Firstly, he intends to address the point that would have been the bad news I mentioned earlier. Specifically, the solution to a ruined 93 is the rise of a new home of wizardry, Ring 100! This is an idea that lets us circumvent all the hazards of reaching the home of wizardry in the City – all that Ringrunning nonsense the superstitious fools seem to be fascinated with. There is no truth worth uncovering save the truth borne of our own design, this is true wizardry and it most assuredly is for the wise, something Lindqvist is very apt in reiterating, time and time again. I find his sentiments entirely amenable. On the topic however, I have decided it shall be my first new thesis – this whole ‘wizardry is for the wise’ ideology or rather motto, mantra, or piece of public apology for magi without a backbone. Well, that is a bit harsh, given my preliminary findings I admit, which follow:

In brief, I have uncovered that this Aethelwine Sothilde née Silver (inferior to Gold) was a rather pitiful sort. He lived in a time where the treacherous Arbiters reigned free and unable to stand up for himself or anyone else, he buckled under their heel in subservience professing that ‘Wizardry is for the Wise’, screaming it aloud out of the window of his tower I imagine in the late hours of the night, crying it to himself in bed, probably even sobbing about it to his apprentice. Well, the honest truth is, I can do little but pity the fool, pity him greatly. The man was a failure of a wizard, filled with a life of failed rituals, of whom all evidence suggests was outdone by his own apprentice who in turn achieved two magnum opuses in her little lifetime whereas he achieved none. Now, again, the pity I feel is extreme, and I fear my heart strings are pulled upon by his plight, but none of that is relevant to wizardy. The point is, ‘wizardry is for the wise’ was a response to persecution and a lack of structured wizardly society and congregation, and the infrastructure to support them such as classical academies and libraries. Given this now sovereign-ordained ‘Royal Castigator’ went all the way to beseech the King, it is clear he didn’t have the power to shape his own reality as any proper wizard should and resorted to calling upon a higher power for aid. Furthermore, it suggests Ringrunning is even more pointless as he didn’t stop at this purported Great Library deeper in the City nor at the other Great thing, the Astrolaboratorium of Baz’eel, suggesting neither arcane society nor academy lies in that direction. Admittedly, this proponent of ‘wise wizardry’ does not make for a very reliable indicator of the existence of such things given his own abandonment of the Wizard Warrens and his tragic and consistent losses of the post of the Royal Court Wizard. Karl Lindqvist does a good job of summarising the failures, though I do confess his work does trigger a certain scepticism within me, something that I cannot quite yet place.

Digression aside, my point in all of this was the upcoming Convocation will be brilliant as proper magi arise to attend the various lacks suffered by wizardry in this City once and for all. Chao Maelificarum was a huge success and I shall bring the prestige of the past back to the future along with the warning of Arbiter stasis chambers and knowledge and power siphoning. No, I should not confess the latter, they should not see me as inferior to what I once was. We will create a new Wizard Warrens in Ring 100, gifted upon us to rule over nobly and justly by our very own power over reality.

Oh and that little piece of research for the apprentice should be ready by then. Fourth circle magic will be a bit troubling... but the apprentice should pull through. ...in reminding me how to produce spells of that calibre.

Footnotes
* This pearl of wisdom preserved thanks to Matron Soppira Hinkley and her diligent records of my affairs. When I find her I will thank her a thousandfold for her loyal services in pursuit of my contingencies. This grand chronicler and colleague of mine must be rewarded!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 02:34:20 PM by I am Mattermead Gold »

I am Mattermead Gold

• View Profile
Success after success after success after success. It would be hard to believe so much success if I were not Mattermead Gold.

Firstly I have outdone the Chao Maelificarum (probably, maybe? I admit I do not remember anything about it except that it was a huge success) by raising the Prismatic Council, the order of magi who will oversee Ring 100’s rise into the new and improved Wizard homeland in the City of Rings. This can be nothing short of destiny, to find three wizards who just so happened to each represent one of the three primary colours and I then had the fine idea of turning the structure of the organisation into a pyramid.

At the top are the Triumvirate, the masters of the Prismatic Council, each taking one of the three primary colours as their own. Whilst the positions of Red and Blue may change occupants, Gold can only ever be Mattermead Gold, he who sits at the very top of the pyramid, looking down upon all others with supreme power and benevolence; much like the Promise am I. Beneath the Triumvirate (Primus) will be the Secundus comprised of the secondary colours, also three in number: Green, Orange, and Purple – these will be respectable and independent magi who support the Primus. Beneath the Secundus will be the Tertius, comprised of the tertiary and remaining colours these will be the apprentices, the newly Initiated, familiars, and other wizardly constructs, creations and things. It is a beautiful design, a beautiful colour scheme, and it all came together perfectly on its own, such of course the result of my brilliance exposed to the world.

Secondly, however chronically prior to the first, the Triumvirate has already successfully accomplished its first grand ritual, curing our apprentice Aszanaj Vohm of his mental malady. This was a brilliant success without compare with a battle of wills incorporated into the ritual itself, how wondrous it was to see the apprentice contend with the Royal Court Wizard as each attempted to push the beam of raw arcane power onto the other. Apprentice Vohm is now the bound apprentice of the Triumvirate, faithful and loyal and no longer too excitable, or at least we are now able to temper his excitability.

Thirdly, Karl the Red Wizard turned out to be a traitor. It seems I had come to share a symbiotic relationship with him much as I had Atasorii Tur-Man; this establishes a pattern where symbiosis always seems to result in some form of betrayal. He was taken into custody for some crime he commited and revealed as a fraudster and charlatan. He also tried to kill me with his last breath. It turns out he was neither Royal Court Wizard nor did the Royal Archives really know him, naming him instead some Royal Janitor. The only reason he almost killed me was because he had been siphoning secrets for centuries from the Archives while performing his janitorial duties whereas I am only maybe one century or so old, clearly he was my senior so it is only natural he had managed to accumulate more power than I. It has nothing to do with the fact my spellbook is mostly blank – that after all, is because of the Arbiters who themselves did a Karl on me by siphoning all of my power and knowledge over the years. The success here is that I replaced Karl with his true senior, the Red Wizard Alponse Winneseph.

Fourthly, the Royal Archivist himself has given me the will of the King. I will keep this as my contingency for when I require such royal will. Though the Red Wizard Alphonse retired from his post, he remains a good friend, having shared the scars of betrayal as we have. This remains a success because the Triumvirate remains strong. The post of the Red Wizard will be filled soon, I can sense it from the future.

Fifthly, I am to stand trial for being brilliant (?) because that is the only thing I am guilty of. The Dame says I have failed, but I have informed her of that impossibility. I was being manipulated by Karl and he was too powerful for – no, she was not allowed to know that he was more powerful than I. Nobody will know. I am very powerful. I am the most powerful. I am Mattermead Gold. And anyway, she is wrong for I, Mattermead Gold, can never fail.

Finally, in my time being pious and inhaling deeply the incenses of the Refuge I have had an epiphany. The Triumvirate is in fact the Trinity, therefore to praise the Trinity is to praise the Triumvirate. I am thus now a very holy man, I am the holiest of all men. I have at last, found my true faith.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 01:38:44 PM by I am Mattermead Gold »

I am Mattermead Gold

• View Profile
Of all people, my favourite apprentice, the most brilliantly drab Aszanaj Vohm has betrayed me. I can scarcely comprehend how or why he would do such a thing. Was I not his idol, the one he looked up to most, the one he lived to serve? And these Thayans, they've done this to him. Such loud proclamations of having undone his 'madness' - bah, he was not mad, he was CURED by us and bound to serve the Triumvirate instead of babbling on about all sorts of nonsense. But his bald head with all those wondrous tattoos told me the truth, just the way he used to look at things so closely. He was not who he made himself out to be, he was clearly not my apprentice but a changeling trying to pretend to be my apprentice. He must have been a chicken in the body of a man... those beady little eyes... the product of a terrible reverse baleful polymorph perhaps. So be it. He is nothing to me and he never was. I do not even know who he was anymore, but whatever he was, he was not my apprentice. Any true apprentice of mine would never betray me.

To add to all of this tomfoolery, Lady Aurelia has had a severe bout of amnesia - now, secretly, I know what it feels like to lose a couple memories here and there but nobody needs to know about that - to the point of forgetting all about having joined our Prismatic Council. Now that part is perhaps forgivable, but she then goes on to be a party to ruining my apprentice. SHE RUINED MY APPRENTICE, well technically our apprentice, but still, this ruination is not lessened by her shared authority over the matter.

Oh well, I suppose the best way to deal with all of this is to relegate it all to the useless past. I don't know them, I don't know any of them, I never knew them at all. And I most honestly never knew of any stupid Thayans. To think that the Triumvirate had a post opened for a RED WIZARD and instead of approaching me for a place that could have rightfully been theirs they go and ruin my apprentices and ah-ha - yes, they must have stolen Lady Aurelia's memories as well. That does make some sense. Well, either way, it's better to not have known them it seems. Infernalism is for fools and failures.

Ring 100 and the Seat of Wizardry WILL be realised.

Oh, no luck finding the Lady and Matron Soppira Hinkley yet either. Vague memories suggest she was a tall and slender woman with long flowing golden locks of hair, dressed often in white gowns the sort that would fit a vestal virgin. Truly a figure of nobility, selflessness, and hidden power. I have had the thought though, if I cannot find her, I shall need to find someone else to write up my new memoirs. Maybe I should stop focusing on this element of the past, but I can't help but feel she is very important to the future.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 11:00:20 AM by I am Mattermead Gold »

I am Mattermead Gold

• View Profile
The goal has not changed, but the means and manner by which to achieve it must by necessity be reworked.

It is no longer possible to go forward with our super secret plan of utilising the Nephzarim Oppression as an excuse to bring the vast trove of reagents held by Guiseppe and Ruul under the control of the Prismatic Council for the purposes of our great Ritual of Ring 100. After all, these little rivals no longer have a reason to cooperate and the Thayan STRANGERS had no brain for subtlety by outright joining their ranks. Our plan was so much better. We would have come to secret accords with R and G, whilst garnering the support of Nephzarim Righteous Law making a show of utterly destroying the Brimstone Lodge but in secret utilising only a few mediocre evocations to destroy an empty estate with all the real goods already under our control in the 100th, oh so ready for ritual...

No mind for subtlety those Thayans. No mind at all. Failures, Wannabes, and Fools. All they ever had to do was come and lay their head at my feet and I would bestow them with such marvelous ideas... oh well, it's not a lost opportunity if they were always going to go their own way to begin with. And even if that's not true, this is all the past, and the past as we all know is a useless place not worth dwelling upon.

The future though, is quite bright, brilliant even. All three seats of the Triumvirate are occupied now, the head of the Council is at its full power, and though the Nephzarim have fallen, we will keep alive their Triumvirate faith--they seem to prefer to call it Triune, but it's the same thing really. Although I lament the loss of my hard earned common currency, I am sure that the new rulers of the Vault will know how to decypher my secret message and if they do not, then I suppose they're not worth dealing with.

Oh, and yes, I have decided I will put a bit of effort into getting my way through the 95th, Green has made very good progress, but he needs my power to see this done. My next major task then is clear:

• Assemble the Annex of the Associated who will assist the Prismatic Council in its mundane and combat related tasks such as this so called 'challenge' of Ring 95. It involves golden objects, so it only makes sense I should be involved.

Notes to Self:

• Lady Aurelia of Greywood, former Blue Wizard is still around. Determine her new place in reality. Because currently, she is a reminder of the past, a past of apprentice corruption and association with failure (Thayans).

• Honourary former Red Wizard Alphonse Winneseph is as wonderful, pleasant, and delightful a face as ever. Determine how to incorporate him in our affairs again. There's just something very amicable about him and I must find out what his secret is...

• I still need to find Soppira. Someone has to update my memoirs, and tradition demands that it must be a noble Hinkley.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 08:41:11 AM by I am Mattermead Gold »

I am Mattermead Gold

• View Profile
There are strange revelations in the wake of my prophecy come manifest. I know I said it would be Trystan Moonspear who was the Lord Departed, but a man titled the Harbourmaster and named the Count Zarono Sensupur is pretty much the same thing, given that one lives in the bleak blackness of Nothing, and the other in some dark dank place whose servants were none other than the Knaves of 99, whom followed his Dark Design.

Some would now ask, was the Triumvirate faith of the Peerage just some kind of massive cult around these figures of the ward, a dark prophecy woven to the point where mundanes began to worship it--and out of all of them, the vaunted Nephzarim most of all--treating these individuals as small gods of their own? Or was it that these figures have corrupted some older venerated ideology more in line with the Nephzarim of a true god in heaven who is for whatever reason, no more? Now, I think let those fools wonder whatever they wish, the point in all of this that is relevant is that I remain the Promise. For the Promise is brilliant, it is bright, and it is a thing set in perpetual motion towards its own agenda--that of an eternal promise, always kept. The fact that there is now a King-contender who is a small god himself, taking the portfolios of Old Grandfather and Lord Departed and through marriage the Lady-in-Waiting, diminishes nothing of my own spleandour. If anything, my power only grows with their promise fulfilled, my prophecy realised.

Which means I must move on to other promises.

With the Royal Archivist and his institution no more, yet with his imparting upon me the Will of the King, I now must preserve this promise and secret. I have no real need of this power at this time but it is clear that a new schism has been created, harkening to a coming New World Order. One in which the King who is the King, may no longer hold sway, and instead a king will sit upon his new throne in the 99th, one borne of corporeal presence, and with him a new age of rule. Who else, after all, with the end of the Royal Archives will oppose? Little Adelia Nephezar the wannabe who was not fit even for thaumaturgy? The King's power and will was manifest entirely upon the shoulders of that old Archivist after all.

Perhaps it is the right time to remind myself of the agenda wrought of my memoirs: the people thirst for information in times of uncertainty and chaos. Who better to give them what they need than the Promise?!

Muahahahahha!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 04:25:04 AM by I am Mattermead Gold »

I am Mattermead Gold

• View Profile
Quote from: Another Successful Ritual
Lykaon Konphas VII, the Last Royal Court Wizard of His Royal Majesty the King does agree that through compact most wizardly and true, he and his power, his authority, his influence, his protection and if necessary all of his resources are levied in support of Mattermead the Gold and the Prismatic Council of the Convocation of Ring 100, to be wield as determined and desired by him and them in the furtherment of the cause of their Convocation.

It is done. The power of the Royal Court Wizard and all of his benefices are to be wield by me, and my Prismatic Council. Green is working on a key to the 93rd, it will only be a short time now before we begin to strip the place of any of its remaining resources. The past is no good after all, unless it is in service of the future, and we are the future.

I have not pursued this idea of controlling information, it seems like too much work. An attempt was made to have the dog-lover or potentially sapient dog or dog-for-brains write for us, but I have not bothered to follow it up. Truly, I suppose I just wanted a foil, and what better a foil than someone who thinks he is a dog, or maybe actually is a dog, mentally. If he continues writing, he will be determined worthy of pursuit again. Note to self: forgot to tell Green about this. Do so at the next Convocation.

There is of course an alternative regarding this Henry Dogson, Author of the now Not So Daily Daily Barker. But that is a bridge we’ll cross when we reach it.

Agnes von Molnek, Auspicer of the Royal House Moonspear has introduced herself to me. A very curious figure who has had the courtesy to make her stance known, clearly, and yet discreetly. She casts aspersions on the Royal Court, fearing it is compromised on the basis that her liege’s father, the Prince of Nothing Trystan Moonspear claimed that the throne was absent and that due to this any present Royal authority is an abuse of power by infiltrators. It is a very strange notion, and one upon which I find myself filled with severe disinterest. Whatever exists 99 Rings away does not concern itself with what happens here, beyond dispensaries, the occasional tournament, and other such very non-invasive, and mostly irrelevant influence besides the Ring Laws that seem to have their own enforcement. So in my assessment, she chooses not to associate with our Prismatic Council largely because she does not realise our power, and our capability. This is all the function of a greater concern that must be raised with the others, our own means of enforcement.

I remember well the statement of praise given by the fat man who runs the Spinning Groat, whatever his name was, I don’t presently recall or truly care for, when Karl Lindqvist the Red handled the matter of hysteria overcome by Aszanaj Vohm the Beige apprentice... it was something along the lines of “You handle your own. Impressive.” This is what we might need to channel. But who amongst us has the same insanity possessed by the Red, to be so brazen and charged up towards action? Surely not I, surely not I... And I severely doubt Green would care for it in the slightest. Red Wizards though, are always a double edged sword. The future need not follow established patterns, we may invent our own designs to enact our purpose. There are many ways of doing or achieving any one thing after all.

I have answers to these questions, and I have ways of doing things, I see no reason to adopt an inferior methodology, but I shall keep my eyes open for opportunities. All that I know and all that I care for is the realisation of Ring 100 of which I am the Promise.

I am Mattermead Gold

• View Profile
Enforcement is a tedious affair, suited only to the simple-minded or single-minded individual who lacks the higher cognitive function to work upon a much grander design. As such, it will be relegated to such individuals should they come about to join my Prismatic Council, or perhaps contracted out (sold that is, no further services will be bought, unless Green wants to 'invest' in such things) to some third party for whom such a thing is their livelihood or somesuch.

In preparation for this it will be important to commence work on the Codex Arcanum/Maelificarum in order to exercise our rights and privileges as THE Arcane Authority of the City of Rings. Individuals who take up a colour will find themselves by contrast held in the highest of esteem, and I have already begun to discover them, notably:

Greywand the Grey Wanderer grew up amongst wizards and has learnt how to read magic and utilise wands and other works of arcane artifice. She clothes herself from head to toe, so utterly completely in grey that it can only be a matter of time before she realises that a place in the Council representing her colour was her destiny and so she shall catch up with her future self. I am patient, I can wait for this moment, as her lack of association with any other organisation in the City may suit her well now, but that's just because she's never been given an exciting alternative worthy of her.

Mystery Magus of the Colour Without shows an intellectual awareness and profound discrimination against the ignorant which very much becomes her. Whilst she does yet don a terribly unfashionable skull on her face along with red toga-like robes and a far too heavy red cloak suited to the likes of a Red Wizard, she recognises that she is not yet ready for her destiny. Her Colour Without has not yet been realised, and so she suffers under the ignorance of the ignorant, or so she would inform me, awaiting to return to me when she is "hidden from ignorance". I will await well, and I do not think for long, for she is driven by some force that yearns to be free from the chains of judgement cast upon her by ... well, those who cannot understand her.

Pink - it is tempting to bind Pink into the Codex Arcanum/Maelificarum. Mostly because she likes the idea that I would kidnap her. I find this very unappealing, why would I want to kidnap her? It was she who was stalking ME.

More will be discovered as I am sure Green is himself aware of those who do not seem yet cognizant that they all fall under our jurisdiction. Oh yes, Ruul and Guiseppe. The rest I shall be watching out for.

I am Mattermead Gold

• View Profile
Tonight I rest in this place, this Towertop in the ruins of Ring 93. So many things have been said of this fabled Ring, yet it lives up to no rumour save that of the archaeologist who rightly christened it the Wastelands. Because that is effectively what it is. I look upon this ruin and I see failure, the last Royal Court Wizard faded into not just obscurity but beyond a trace after achieving something that should have been a tremendous accomplishment with far-reaching effects.

So here I rest, in the only worthwhile place in this junk heap, a gem amidst the rubbish that is this Wizard Wastelands, and I shed a tear for the useless past. For the sake of the Convocation, we cannot fail like all of this failure that surrounds me now. We cannot find ourselves in this very same graveyard. To be here is a curse more than a blessing. I struggle to remember coming here before, but my memoirs tell me that I have, surely I have. It is troubling. It troubles me greatly that something about this place has started to tear at my beliefs, something feels terribly wrong, there is a certain pain that comes from seeing a place that should be beautiful, that should be filled with wonder, and secrets, and mysteries and hidden power... being nothing more than a dismal ruin of scattered debris and malfunctioning defences.

In this moment, something about myself feels less than what I tell myself it is. I feel a strange moment’s haze lift from my eyes, and yet what I see, of this reality, is only hurtful. I don’t know what it is about this place, but it feels so devoid of joy. As if something has been robbed from me, something very deep, something that is essentially me, essentially ‘Mattermead Gold’, taken away and hidden from me. Not just hidden from me, but corrupted. It is the type of thing that makes one seek out the drink, to dull this unknowable sense of failure. For I am a wizard, in the Wizard Wastelands...

In such a moment I am reminded of the elf who said that all that he had was the past. And now I feel happy again. Oh, that stupid, pitiful green wanderer. What a relic of a bygone age was he, lived for centuries, yet treated like he was non-existent, a foreigner in a land that does not welcome him. He said he partook of substances and drink to deal with his rather wretched existence, and perhaps he found his little happy place inside of his own mind, where as they say, in reverie--the dreamless dream of the elves--he relives the memories of his vaunted past. What more of a fool he, for even his memories must be but an iota of what is truly his. Ah, how pleasant it is to reminisce upon the sad state of someone else’s life.

And that’s just it. This is my life. I am Mattermead the Gold. My past is written by the hand of Matron Soppira Hinkley, but my future is my own! And now, my Prismatic Council has assembled and it grows every day. I have my Nephzarim Happy Stones, and I am forward-thinking, future-minded.

THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS MATTERMEAD GOLD, AND THE FUTURE!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 12:52:02 PM by I am Mattermead Gold »

I am Mattermead Gold

• View Profile
  • I need to get back to the Wizard Warrens, I need to find Atasorii Tur-Man and my seat that awaits.

I have scoured this desolate ruin for any hint or sign of Atasorii Tur-Man to no avail. There is not a single mention of his name here, no clue that he was ever here in any form, there is no publication of his works, no indication that he ever existed at all... Likewise I found no seat of power here, though I sense there may be portals yet beyond hidden away with portkeys and some towers show indication of activity from as recent as what I would approximate to be a few months ago. I cannot explain why and how I would find no trace of my dear friend Atasorii... Who would want to erase his existence, and why?

This result makes me want to send the most insane maniacs, the most deranged lunatics, and the most idiotic of idiots into this place to tear it all up. The seamstresses and seamsters could at least uncover hidden portals here and maybe they'd be annoying enough that if anyone does live here besides Henriette and the Doorkeeper they'd rear their head. It's an idea, at least. A place for exiles and renegades, perhaps... a place for all the failures to be sent whom are unworthy of the 100th.

We'll harvest it for all it has to give first. We can't let valuable resources fall into the wrong hands after all.

In my return back from that horrendous place--which has upset me in ways I do not even know--the only pleasure I hold is that I hadn't needed to bother with a single challenge to reach the useless wasteland. This in and of itself is a great triumph, a success worthy of accolade. I wonder how far I might travel through these Rings with the minimum of effort... imagine the faces of all the "Ringrunners" to realise they put in so much time and energy to do something I did without even trying; now that's wizardry.

Further elation comes in realising there is something more to Greywand, for indeed, she is Stargazer Greywand now, no longer I think the Grey Wanderer but the Grey Wizard. I judge her worthy for what she seeks to become, though I can find no logic to truly explain why she desires to be so... passive. There is something there, about forgetting who she is, who she was, or running away from it, and when she confessed such things I found inexplicably my treacherous mouth let loose a secret of my own. A thing which nobody should know for how utterly compromising it may be, but given her destiny, I do find there may be no more secure a place than the chamber of secrets that she is.

"I am Wuming. I am Greywand. I am Violet, and Olivia, and Ursula and Edan. I am everybody, I am nobody. I am here to help." How poetic. Of all the people who might achieve what they set out to, she so far seems with the greatest potential, and it is no wonder why she gets along so well with Mystery Magus.

So it is that she will assist Agnes in the erection of her desired observatory, though I find the notion that she would claim Oldspyre for the purpose unlikely. Her house has no estate, and its last great name went into the Sea of Nothing to rule over it. Indeed she has neither purchase nor opening in the Peerage Ward for Orza would not tolerate it, and by her very existence she stands in opposition to the Count's claim to the throne vying for it for her own Lord. I suggested that she might try to reach Baz'eel where it is said the 'Grand Observatorium' resides instead. Regardless, Greywand takes practical measures in providing assistance, and her efforts if not to aid Agnes will suit the Convocation of Ring 100 just fine.

Miss Eris has wasted my time, this is quite unacceptable of course. Perhaps she does not realise that her name is scheduled for the Codex Arcanum/Maelificarum. Given that it was her who called for me, I think I shall allow her one more chance to have a say upon the matter, after all, I am known for my patience. I think I shall enjoy convincing her that the best place is within the Null, for it is only proper for a servant to not seek recognition nor to rise above her station. Yes, I think she will be pleased with this and willingly approve. This shall make all my waiting worth it, oh the ever charismatic Miss Eris, so green with envy, so jealous, so ridiculously bespectacled. The eternal servant who wishes she was as charismatic and commanding as I am.

Draft entry, awaiting final sorting into the Null:

Hide
Miss Eris Hale - is a sublime servant of the Old House Sunpurse/Sensupur (it is not quite clear why Sunpurse has been known by Sensupur for so long or vice versa but it involves some kind of conspiracy, or careful manipulation somewhere) who aspires to nothing more than serving her function and station to the highest codes of decorum and performance. An enchantress who has "tea and colloquy" with just about anyone, she is known to know something about everyone and everything about something; what that something is is a deep, deep secret that nobody knows besides her. Besides her enchantments, Miss Eris is known for her fascination with phantasms, specifically the illusory death spell of Phantasmal Killer. This power she flaunts whenever she has the opportunity, from public spectacles, to open threats, and even in duels when she is called to answer Duello, wherein she is known to cast no spell besides the Phantasmal Killer as much as she requires to defeat an enemy, regardless of whether or not they have imbibed a potion of Clarity.

All in all, Miss Eris fits firmly under the hat of the Null, for this is a choice of her own, in recognition of her place and interest in service to those whom she has chosen to serve. Rightly, this entry amounts to the sum total of her contributions to the Art most arcane in the City of Rings.
[close]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 06:59:26 AM by I am Mattermead Gold »