Author Topic: Innaugural Sermon of the Lord's Bishop  (Read 271 times)

Red_Judas

• View Profile
on: October 24, 2020, 05:34:26 AM

From the First Sermon of Alberic Steelsworn as Lord's Bishop

Habemus Vicarium.

Faithful of the Triune, you have your Lord’s Bishop. Alberic Steelsworn. I greet you under my name of Piety, Blessed Gallant IV the Oathbreaker. Honoured is the House that sacrifices so that the Vestry might flourish.

Faithful, Lord Phelan is a young Lord of House Sunpurse. A lord of innocent faith. His departure evokes the imagery of our supreme Lord Departed. Sadly, the faith was only restored after his departure, and House Sunpurse is bereft of a lord. Just as the Peerage is of our patron. Great sins haunt the rings, rejecting both the King and our Lord. Saintly Oriana awaits his return.

Lord Phelan listened and obeyed the Lord from his youth, and the Lord honored him to his departure.

Quote, “Then the Lord came and stood and called as at other times, ‘Phelan! Phelan!’ And Lord Phelan said,’“Speak, for Your vassal is listening.'”

Allow me to tell the story of Lord Phelan’s miraculous birth. His mother wanted a child badly and prayed to the Lady for a child. To show her sincerity, she vowed that her firstborn son would be returned to the Lord all the days of his life, and she kept her Promise. When she had weaned Lord Phelan, she brought him along with other provisions to the Vestry of the Lord.

For her piety, the Lord & Lady made her husband, Lord Desmond, well loved and successful. The Lord honoured Lady Oriana for her obedience and pious deed.

The Lord rejects votive offerings and charity. He is honoured by our blessed triumphs and through every groat levied through tax or tithe. But most honourable to the Lord Departed is our complete obedience. Let us be like Lord Phelan and Lady Oriana and give the Lord’s message.

I will now take this opportunity to announce the coming of two cynosures. The first is thus: An inquisition is set to begin in earnest.

No more will changelings, nor apostates, nor half-cocked wizards stalk the streets. Their heresy ends now.

The second cynosure is the introduction of a Tithe on Heretics. Our ward belongs to the faithful. Unbelievers that reside within the ward shall pay compensation for their refusal to live under the Noblesse Oblige of the Lord & Lady.

I have broken a sacred trust, but I trust in the Lord to judge me as he trusts in me to fulfill my duties to judge the ward impartially. We must remember our oaths.

My next sermon shall be on the Virtue of Duty.
Currently playing: Alberic Steelsworn

Red_Judas

• View Profile
on: October 29, 2020, 03:31:26 AM
Lord Naaman Nephezar was born into the Holy House and grew up in a pious atmosphere of prayer, recitation of scripture, and hymn-singing.

He seemed to possess all the qualities for Lordship.

After coming of age, Lord Naaman embarked on a righteous campaign against the Lizardfolk.

It was while besieging an ancient ziggurat that the young Lord had a deeply moving experience that stayed with him the rest of his life.

The Lord Departed spoke to him and said, “I laboured against evil for thee! What has my vassal done for me?”

Lord Naaman said to himself, “I have served The Lord for a long time, but I have never actually done anything for Him. From now on, I will do whatever The Lord leads me to do.”

When you ringrun, can you really say that you are living and doing as The Lord intends of you? Can you honestly say that you are fulfilling your duty to the Lord Departed?

In the ancient scriptures, we see that the Lord Zadok Nephezar could honestly say that he was.

As fulfilled duty, quote, “Lord Zadok looked straight at the Nephezarim and said, "My brothers, I have fulfilled my duty to the Lord Departed in all good conscience to this day."

…fulfilled…duty…

Zadok looked straight at the Nephezarim and told them that he had fulfilled his duty to The Lord Departed.

In the face of holy ascension, Lord Zadok told the Nephezarim that he had done what The Lord Departed had called him to do.

…good conscience…

Lord Zadok also told the Nephezarim that he had done this with a good conscience.

Of course this doesn’t mean that Lord Zadok had always acted with gallantry and he is not saying that his conscience is his final judge.

But he was saying that he could honestly say that he had lived his life valiantly.

It is possible that he may have sinned against The Peerage and the Lord Departed, but he had lived as daringly as he possibly could.

He may have sinned, but he had done his duty to The Lord Departed.

…to this day.

Lord Zadok is saying, “Up to this day, I’ve fulfilled my duty to The Lord Departed.”

“Up to this day, I’ve lived with a good conscience.”

But I want us to think for a moment about just what is our duty…

What is our Whole Duty?

Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear The Lord Departed and keep his cynosures, for this is the whole duty of man.

Remember your Lord in the days of your youth, before the Promise and the light and the clouds return after the rain; when the Keepers of the Doors tremble, and the dispensaries cease;

When the doors to the rings are closed; when men are afraid of changelings and of dangers in the streets. Then man goes to his eternal home and Archivists go about recording his name.

Remember our Lord--before the merchant is robbed in the square, or the Torc return, and the Sibilant returns to the ground it came from, and The Lord Departed returns to The Lady-in-Waiting who bore his Promise.

Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear The Lord Departed and keep his cynosures, for this is the whole duty of man.

For The Lord Departed will bring every gallant deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.

And as for gallant deeds, none could be more honourable than one such as the Kingward Prilgrimage.

Gallantry pleases the Lord more than alms to the Lady.

As a show of faith, I shall now observe the collection of the tithe in both blood and coin.

Faithful, the Lord is pleased with your tithe. As am I. Go now and walk in his Dread. My next sermon shall be on the Virtue of Daring.

Red_Judas

• View Profile
on: November 05, 2020, 03:09:41 AM
[A sermon on duty is delivered by the Lord's Bishop, Alberic Steelsworn, to a rather sparse audience]

What do we know about Dorvant Drinnaught? He lived in a time much like our own. He was of course a proto-Awakened and faced the Sibilant Empire of his age. But you might ask yourselves how his time was like our own.

Along with Dorvant Drinnaught were Vincenzo Vunco, Bomor of the Cave, and Alledha Amastacia. They were all plucked from their homeland and brought to the land that would become the City of Rings.

In the Sibilant Empire, they were forced to abandon the manifestation of the Lord & Lady in the age before the Peerage Ward, and follow the scaled and blasphemous devils of the lizardfolk.

As in our age, the Peerage is faced with the heresy of those that defy the Noblesse Oblige of the Lord & Lady. They would see us return to the heathen state of the Sibilant Empire of a land we do not recognize.

If the Lord & Lady are not followed by all the Great Houses, then how can we expect the lowborn to follow the rule of the Great Houses? So we, like Dorvant Drinnaught and the Lord Departed himself, are faced with a dilemma.

Shall we stand as Dorvant did in the face of the Sibilant Empire? Or the Lord Departed against The Endless Nothing? Shall we stand against the Recondite persecution of Mankind within the inner rings? Or the faithless that pursue works to false gods?

We must dare to rise to our challenges in order that we may secure for our heirs a city that is truly the home of gallantry and Noblesse Oblige. We must be mindful that the Lord shall judge our deeds and nothing is hidden from Him, good or evil.

Dare to be remembered!

Quote, “Then Dorvant Drinnaught began distinguishing himself against the Sibilant Empire.” End quote. He set himself apart and stood out as opposition to man’s enemies.

We should dare so that we impact the City of Rings for The Lord simply by our character. That is, who we are and what we do. If we are to dare, then we would have a chance through our lives to draw steel and proclaim The Lord.

Our daring should demonstrate hope in hopelessness! Courage in the face of fear! Calm in the face of Danger, and Love when all others have hated them!

It is time we started distinguishing ourselves from the heretics as Dorvant Drinnaught and The Lord Departed did! Because he possessed the Divine Spark of a man of Lordly Calibre!

Lord Justinian Nephezar’s words in quoting the warrior-prophet Dorvant Drinnaught:

“The Divine Spark of Man is upon Me, because The Lord anointed Me to preach the Cynosures, He has sent me to proclaim the walls of the rings, the rise of the King, to set free mankind from The Sibilant Empire, to proclaim the favorable Peerage Ward.”

“He possessed the Divine Spark of a man of Lordly Calibre.”

How do we get this Divine Spark? – We don’t get it. It is given to us.

I would like to emphasize this point.

The integrity of men is to be measured by their conduct, not by their professions. Let me simplify the best I can. Actions Speak louder than words. The threat of death has its ways of showing the Faithful from the faking.

Integrity springs from living in The Lord’s image.

Dorvant Drinnaught dared to defy the Sibilant Empire. He was a man of integrity. He refused to be defiled. He had already made his decision, and denounced temptation. Easiest when the choice has already been made. All that was left was prayer and action. No harm came to him because he trusted The Lord to see his King to the throne.

I dare you to be like Dorvant. I dare you to stand alone.

Thus concludes my three part sermon on obedience, duty, and daring.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 03:13:49 AM by Red_Judas »

Red_Judas

• View Profile
on: November 26, 2020, 06:32:41 AM
[A sermon on fear is preached to a fair sized congregation]

The Lord is the minister of fear. It is the foundation of faith, which is what pleases The Lord Departed.

I submit to the leal vassals three points on fear:

Fear uplifts our Lord. It is a glory to The Lord.

A glory to His sovereignty - He is in control, and fear ensures He is.

A glory to His providence - He commands us, and fear says He does.

A glory to His power - He protects us, and fear says he does.

When the Daring Swords liberated mankind from the Sibilant Empire, they halted their advance momentarily. They were afraid and said, wish that we ne’er undertook such a burden!

They forgot the wrath of the Lord. Fear comes when we forget that the Lord is more dreadful when we are in his presence.

Fear uplifts our Lord. He is honoured when we remember to fear Him and dread naught.

So, The Lord Departed sent a holy host to menace the Daring Swords, and they prevailed against the Sibilant Empire. Their misplaced fear was dispelled. Or so we might believe.

Soon they ran out of food and water and said to Dorvant, did you raise us in rebellion simply to die? Yea, the Lord can intimidate his faithful into action, but can he conjure sustenance when all the fields lie fallow?

The Lord needn’t, for he bid the Daring Swords to eat of the hearts of the Sibilant or his host would eat of theirs. Their misplaced fears were finally dispelled. Or so we might believe.

They came to the edge of where the central ring now is and their reconnaissance seemed dire. What gripped their hearts was fear. But fear of the Lord uplifts mankind!

For The Lord hath given us the spirit of fear; power, and right, and command.

Be thou therefore ashamed of not fearing our Lord, or of me his vassal:

A man is in a gaole, threatening another man who is free to be afraid. This means that fear should have nothing to do with our circumstances. Fear is the exclusive domain of the Lord.

A man is in prison, but he knows who's truly in control, who's with him, who's more dreadful for him, and who's commanding him. He's fearing in the sovereignty, providence, and power of The Lord!

When we are fearful of any but The Lord, we have forgotten 3 things:

Who The Lord is.

Whose we are.

What The Lord will do to us.

Fear uplifts our Lord.

Fear directs our Lives.

The fear of man is a snare: but whoseso putteth his fear in The Lord shall be safe.

A snare is a trap. And a trap is meant to render those caught in it ineffective.

In a parable, the enemy wishes to trap a Vestral Legate with misplaced fear. There was a second son who had grown quarrelsome and sought a means to earn a prestige greater than his brother’s inheritance. He became a hireling and took a contract against the Vestry.

The second son laid a trap. He hid in his house and pretended his life was in danger. He got the Legate’s attention and urged him to flee…

An attempt to get him to fear for his life rather than his soul. But the Legate recognized the fear trap. These traps are laid for us regularly.

Fear brings a snare, but it brings The Lord when we understand who we should truly fear.

You can torment yourself physically with fear. But it pales in comparison to the dread inspiration of God.

Fear of the Lord is to the body what oil is to machinery. But misplaced fear is like sand.

Misplaced fear brings a snare, torment, and misplaced fear brings bondage.

Deliver the Daring Swords who, through fear of The Lord, were no longer subject to bondage.

Many cannot enjoy the moment because they are so afraid of what might happen.

Some can't fully enjoy their own children because they're so afraid of what might befall them. They become overprotective, and that breeds fear into those children, and it becomes a vicious cycle.

Some can't focus on their fields because they are so afraid of losing them. Some can't enjoy life because of fear of death, or losing their health.

Misplaced fear destroys our lives, but fear uplifts our Lord...

Fear Delights our Lord.

Gallant I of the Old Vestry was a brave leader, but it wouldn’t matter if he were paralyzed with misplaced fear. His talents would be of no value.

If we don’t use our gifts, we fail to be a blessing to the Lord. When we can use our talents to inspire fear, we delight The Lord.

What we might do in response to fear is to do as the Legate did. He feared The Lord, rather than the enemy, and inspired a dread of his own. Remember His sovereignty, providence, and power.

Ye are vassals of The Lord, and have inspired fear in the enemy: because greater is the dread of The Lord in you than of the City of Rings.

The Lord is dread incarnate and the salvation of man.

Fear of The Lord alleviates all other fears. And if you kneel before The Lord, you can stand before man!