Author Topic: Diary of a Trimarch  (Read 145 times)

Red_Judas

• View Profile
on: November 19, 2020, 03:38:09 AM
Property of Alberic Steelsworn

Forty-First Diary, First Entry:

It had been several years since I last thought of them, but over the last several fortnights, Iíve been forced to recount my memories.

I miss Olberic. The intense rivalry we shared as children growing up in Castle Stahldrat was our motivation to succeed. And yet I was always envious of him. For all intents and purposes, we were exactly the same. We dressed, spoke, and behaved alike. We recited the Cynosures together. We were to become chaplains of the old Vestry. We were expected to be knighted, marry, and sire large families. But Mum and Ser Martin always heaped their greatest hopes and aspirations onto Olberic. He was the one that would restore the Grand Vestry. He would be the one to become a Lord in his own right. He would be the one that would reverse our family fortunes. And then he died.

Uncle Magnus was more of a father to me than Ser Martin. He truly cared for Olberic and I. Thatís why it hurt so badly when he died so suddenly. Marching season had come and the estate across the River Stee had been encroaching on us. Uncle Magnus and several of our squires had forded the river and slain Ser Ilithard in a pitched battle. Upon his return, Uncle Magnus attempted to ford the same part of the river, which had been waist deep, and managed to sink beneath the water. None of the squires could find him and we presume he drowned.

It was a little over a year later when Olberic and I went to that part of the river to pay our respects. That deceptively calm river. I stood by the banks and cried as Olberic waded into the water. But my sadness was replaced with fear when I blinked and realized Olberic was no longer there. I searched frantically, but he was gone. We found his body a week later, water-logged, and eyes bulging. Iíll never erase the image from my mind.

Ser Martin never outright blamed me, but I knew I would never have his approval. All my successes mean nothing to him or Mum. It was Olberic that should have become the Lordís Bishop, and I should have drowned that day. And yet I continue to seek the approval of Mum and Ser Martin. What would my ancient sire, Lothar, think of me? I find it difficult to return home.
Currently playing: Rove Dulmare

Red_Judas

• View Profile
on: November 20, 2020, 06:41:01 AM
Second Entry:

I took a life today. Like so many others, and yet this one felt different. Squire Spille had warned me about her the night before. Her and several others. They had taken her to a Hag and tortured her. Deva didn't think I was taking her words seriously. The names she gave me didn't sound real. But I took her words to heart. Igna, Krus, and Golg.

During a duel, Dougal Maclaren informed me that my quarry was present on the very bridge I was on. I didn't waste any time. I rammed my consecrated blade deep into her heretical belly. She dropped before she had a chance to react. Igna Stormscream, a changeling witch, was mine.

Honouring Dougal, who had been hexed by the master of this witch, I had her brought to Glitt Hall where I allowed her to be questioned. When it became clear to the witch that she would not be leaving in one piece, she chose death. I had attempted to make it swift, but Bad Tom and Dougal kept her heart beating long enough for her to force a flurry of lightning around the room that obliterated herself.

The hall experienced minor damage, so I allowed the retainers to take what they needed from Igna to repair it. But the corpse of the witch was brought to the Grand Vestry and hefted upon a pike. I call the square before the Grand Vestry Gallant's Garden.

Red_Judas

• View Profile
on: November 21, 2020, 07:34:16 AM
Third Entry:

The Kingward Pilgrimage assembled. My Legate wished a word with me, but I regret I hadn't the time for him. Perhaps upon my return, should I survive this perilous expedition ahead.

We've braved several trials, and I am now well acquainted with the perils of the rings. We took a brief respite at an ancient Vestry. I was able to breathe a sigh of relief when I considered that all I had faced would no longer need be faced again. That is, unless we take on new members and require relics. But the Vestry had seen better days. I take some solace that great changes appear to be on the horizon. Perhaps I will visit the Vestry again. Maybe for good, or forever.

I am still awestruck by the view we saw. At a great vista, Dame Eleleth bade me plight my troth for the Kingward Pilgrimage. Of all the gallant deeds men might perform, this is among the most holy missions I must undertake. And upon my return, I shall assist my friend claim his rightful demesne.