unnerf the starting experience

Started by Moonlighter, November 30, 2020, 09:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calixto

Quote from: Moonlighter on November 30, 2020, 09:51:47 PM
if i do the entire lowbie circuit and have one bag of dirty yellow ash and like 300 gold to show for it it seems like really bad design. not sure what happened

Are you serious? Then you must have been very, very unlucky. With my current character I have earned like 2000 coins and supplies aplenty before hitting 7, most of which didn't come from the Peerage quests.  My search score is 2, although I rose it a bit with items. To tell the truth, I never found it easier to advance in levels and get gold and supplies than now. And afaik, one of the most rewarding quests is out of inhabited hubs.
Most enjoyable characters:

EFU: COR
Tristan Caerfal (NG Human Sharpshooter)

EFU:R
Thomas Valentine (Human NG Fighter/Rogue)
Durga (Half-Orc NE Cleric of Ilneval/Fighter)

EFU:M
Marion Sileyna (Human LN Cleric of Loviatar/Fighter)
Atreia Kelten (Human Paladin of Tyr)
Riku (NG Stargazer Ranger)

Damien

Why were the sewers changed? Now I cannot find a single quest :(

And tbh, every EFU has had this problem. You either level up too quickly and too ill equipped to do harder quests,  you get a lucky dm quest that supplies you, or you die and repeat the circuit to increase supplies.

TheShadow

My personal experience echo's that of many other players here. If you do the burghage start as a human, you can readily do every low level quest and reach 5-6 in that same reset. With luck and search skill i can usually turn out at leaat 500-700 gold in a single reset, without relying on explorables like Groans in the Drips. However...

This is with being "optimized" for low level stuff. If you do not have access to the peerage quests if you cannot access the search skill easily, your solo low level experience will be awful.

However, i think this is more of an issue of the solo grind being the norm. There are a handful of quests i can name - Black Dragon, and Eyes in the Drips, Stonebuilder's Manor - that you can two man and get good supplies / gold from.

Once you can start doing the mid-high level quests, everything gets much nicer.
Forever in the Shadows, yearning for the Light.

Stranger

There are many low level quests locked behind explorables. Rebel City. Orb Cult. All those little 1-4, 1-5 solo adventures...

I recommend that these quests be made into static features of the module. Doing so would increase their accessibility, and dispel the concern held by players of the Peerage Ward dominating the 1-6 bracket.

SunrypeSlim

Starting experience is fine in the Ponds. I haven't played anything but Pondsfolk so I dunno what all you wealthy, reputable, humanocentric hubs are struggling with. Must be tough.
PM me for an apology! :3

parthenos

you will eat glass, and you will learn to love it