True Seeing

Started by Egon the Monkey, December 09, 2020, 01:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egon the Monkey

Ah, the Level 3/4/5/6 Spell, a notorious bugger to balance because of that.
Currently it's kind of useless. PfX blocks Phantasmal Killer, Clarity blocks PhK and Colour Spray. It's just a super expensive See Invis. For a L4-5 spellslot, you may as well just quaff potions.

Suggestion: Treat this as a L4 spell, and balance it accordingly. It's hugely expensive as a L5, and only worth it off Animal Domain really.

Quote from: 'True Seeing'
Provides See Invisibility, Ultravision and immmunity to Illusion spells. Grants +2 Spot and Search.
SF: Divination: Adds +2 Spot and Search
GSF: Divination: Applies to caster as well as target, Adds the Blind-Fight fight if the character does not already have it.

This would let Clerics make Search checks, which are an incredibly common PVE obstacle in CoR.  Blind-fight is a powerful feat, but 99% of melee and ranged PCs have that already. Which means granting it would be powerful, but only really for full-caster builds who want to hit with their melee and touch attacks. And for PvP or long fights, it is a buff, and can be dispelled.

Mia

Alternatively, change the duration of the existing spell.

The fact that it is a rounds spell, where see invisibility and ultravision are turns at least, is what necks this otherwise nice combo spell.

Eye Door

I support this for completely unbiased reasons.

Stranger

Basic Ultravision is an hour/level and gives +4 spot to a Diviner. See Invisibility is two turns/level for a Diviner.

It is not too much of a stretch to suggest that GSF: Divination clerics (the only ones with any real access to True Seeing) should be able to enjoy this spell for an hour/level themselves; a suggestion that might be more palatable if the Animal Domain was modified to have Wormsight as a L3 spell instead of True Seeing, so that the spell sits exclusively in the 4th & 5th tiers.

Speaking of which, Wormsight becoming "See Invisibility, but worse" despite being a 3rd level spell is also massively disappointing and I think that it needs a niche of its own. Some kind of unique functionality, like immunity to blindness or a GSF: Transmutation effect, to give it a purpose...

Dredi

Immunity to blindness and grantgs the user the Blind-fight feat for the duration? (Applied as a temporary effect to armor)

Egon the Monkey

Stranger: Yeah, the problem with default Wormsight IMO is that Necromancer wizards could inexpensively negate the biggest drawback of their school (No See Invis)
If it got a Spell School Transmutation/GSF Trans Sorcerer bonus it'd be a lot more handy. I don't think it needs a straight up Transmutation duration improvement, as GSF is already strong on a druid.
I'd argue that the nerf means it's now a spell that would sit really nicely on the Ranger list as a L2, as turn/2 levels means you can't keep it up all day but it's a cheap Paranoia Button for pure rangers.