Author Topic: The Codex Arcanum/Maelificarum  (Read 130 times)

I am Mattermead Gold

• All that is Gold glitters.
    • View Profile
on: January 12, 2021, 01:31:16 AM
The Codex Arcanum/Maelificarum

An Official Archive of the Arcane Authority of the City of Rings:
The Prismatic Council of the Convocation of Ring 100
Under the Auspices of Mattermead the Gold
The Master Conductor of Rituals

I am Mattermead Gold

• View Profile
on: January 12, 2021, 01:33:43 AM
Index

1. Introduction

2. Taxonomy Arcanum/Maelificarum

3. The Arcanum
      > Agnes von Molneck, Auspicer of House Moonspear

3. The Maelificarum
      > Voria Turncoat, the Unassessed
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 03:52:56 AM by I am Mattermead Gold »

I am Mattermead Gold

• View Profile
on: January 12, 2021, 01:54:45 AM
Introduction

The Codex Arcanum/Maelificarum serves the function of documenting all that is arcane within the City of Rings, and though it may feature the supernatural, the planar, the eldritch and otherwise, such things are beyond its purview and this is not a comprehensive guide so much as a register of all things that fit within the jurisdiction of the Arcane Authority that is the Prismatic Council of the Convocation of Ring 100.

Whereas magi of note, of one kind or another, are recorded in "The Magi of the City of Rings: of Wizards, Architects, Mavericks, and Wannabes", those who have not earned such notoriety, accolade, or outright abominable regard or indeed disregard will be found in this Archive instead. This may be due to their status as non-magi, non-players in the game of life (coinage credited to the esteemed Kasur Scher), their monstrous or non-sentient nature or quite simply because they're simply not significant enough.

Herein will they all be found, and all of their arcane habitudes and inclinations, because that is the very function of the Codex Arcanum/Maelificarum.

Let it also be known that should an individual herein recorded find for themself accomplishment, notoriety, or otherwise become worthy of greater (or potentially lesser!) recognition they may have their status reflected through a transition into the aforementioned tome in which those of higher esteem are regarded. For the Prismatic Council of the Convocation of Ring 100 is intensely founded upon the strands of the future, and recognises the capacity for that which neither in the past nor present has been achieved.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 12:40:08 AM by I am Mattermead Gold »

I am Mattermead Gold

• View Profile
on: January 14, 2021, 12:58:07 AM
Taxonomy Arcanum/Maelificarum

This archive achieves its purpose by classifying objects (arcanists, eldritch entities, and other things that fall within the jurisdiction of the Prismatic Council's arcane authority) into their most fitting schedules.

Three overarching schedules thus exist within which all will be sorted as it is brought before our gaze. These are the Arcanum, the Maelifacarum, and the Null.

The Arcanum comprises of practitioners of magic of one kind or another who have been either formally acknowledged by the Prismatic Council or pursue works that are deemed inoffensive to the City of Rings and hold the greatest promise in terms of their arcane potential.

The Maelifcarum contains beings and entities and potentially people who wield magic but do so outside any acknowledgement of the Prismatic Council for whatever reason though potentially including: their monstrous nature, their belligerent personality, or simply by making a monkey (or donkey) out of themselves.

The Null. The less that is said of the Null the better. Those that fall within the null are unlikely to ever go anywhere, they may be wizards-who-are-not--the type who follow around others as glorified pet animals casting enhancements and transmutations upon them and otherwise hide in invisibility and do little of worth with themselves--or perhaps they are just a bit too mundane and uninspiring. One way or another, they are a liability to the arcane and probable failures, unless they change their ways seeking out the Prismatic Council for assessment and re-education.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 01:42:37 AM by I am Mattermead Gold »

I am Mattermead Gold

• View Profile
on: January 16, 2021, 01:32:40 AM
The Arcanum

Those with potential who have received the recognition of the Prismatic Council, or otherwise forces deemed inoffensive and indeed potentially beneficial to the City of Rings and its arcane landscape.

Agnes von Molneck - is the Auspicer of the House Moonspear who studied under Telemakos Konphas in the Wizard Warrens. As a practitioner her gaze is directed to the heavens above, and it is known that she seeks to erect an observatory to further her studies therewith. With the stolid belief that there is something wrong with the world, she portends that the source of this poison is a corruption of our link to the divine and a profound absence at the very head of the City. Her focus thus lies in working to remedy these things one way or another and her magic centers around all the divinations required to achieve her task. However, it is rumoured she intends a great work of unknown design...

She is recognised for her respectable nature, her forthrightness in contacting the Prismatic Council for registration, and her high probability of not being a failure.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 01:36:37 AM by I am Mattermead Gold »

I am Mattermead Gold

• View Profile
on: January 16, 2021, 02:55:28 AM
The Maelificarum

Belligerent forces or individuals who have not sought the counsel of the Prismatic Council, actively avoided assessment or otherwise deemed offensive and indeed potentially harmful to the City of Rings and its arcane landscape.

Voria Turncoat - said to be an alien lifeform inhabiting the body of a humanoid, from some distant place foreign to the City of Rings. She is known for her open seamstry in places such as the Weald and getting into fights with commoners only to be beaten and abused by them, time and time again. Very nearly sorted into the Null, she has escaped such fate by being the prime suspect and possible catalyst behind the seamstry in Ring 99 which saw planar entities from the Golden City, the Shattered Hells, the Abyss, and Pandemonium assault the Peerage Ward in some profane state of conflux.

Voria Turncoat is pending assessment by the Prismatic Council, however for thus far avoiding her summons she is deemed both probable failure and wanton Maelificar.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 02:59:59 AM by I am Mattermead Gold »