Clifford Farrier: The Varlet of the Ponds

Started by HowlingLikeAWolf, February 13, 2021, 07:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HowlingLikeAWolf

Clifford was my first reintroduction to EFU, and intended to be a meme character.  He became something more then that on his journey as a flawed but capable druidic practitioner.

Clifford would start out cowardly, and quiet. He had no real interest in conflict, and just wanted to survive. A gradual tempering by his circle and friends would lead him to develop a sense of will and self, mostly through the influence of Arkavin Vaul, a steddingsman who would come to accept him for his nature despite being raised to the contrary.

In the end due to Arkavin's influence, he assume the mantle of Groundskeeper, unwilling but seeing no other alternative before him after foiling an assassination attempt on a Camedyr Haremarch, exposing himself in the process.  He would go on to save several of the Haremarch's lives, though he was always quietly distrustful of them and their intentions.  A Dog became a Wolf.

A poor decision, with questionable allies one of many would lead to his demise at the hour his Circle needed him most,  The death of the Willow had effectively broken the Groundskeeper's spirit, and he began to throw himself heedlessly into trouble, uncaring of the consequences. 

. Clifford honored his word as he was able, and that was what the Men of Stormharbour required in exchange for what they'd done for him.  Such is the way of things.  He died saving Vaul from the clutches of the vile creatures within that city, but in doing so, exposed himself for the last time.  And for a changeling who was afraid of dying alone, that's the best he could really hope for.

Playing an 8 charisma leader with some persuade was certainly awkward, and I don't intend to do it again. I'd never planned to be groundskeeper as a player, and it was an interesting challenge. However, druids are very rewarding on EFU if you are willing to embrace the mistakes, and I fully recommend players try one if they are willing to play a concept that works with it's environment rather than sees it as an obstacle.

Screens in no particular order:

Disorder

Nazey

Clifford was excellently characterized, it was a great narrative experience to watch him struggle to strive to be something better than what the world is steering him towards.

A formative part of Arkavin's journey, wherever that may end.  Kudos to you and good luck on your next!

[hide][/hide]

Glyph

Good stuff man. Cliff was a dawg. Enjoyed the PC

Jagged

LoveLess

Was a great and well characterized PC. Looking forward to your next!

Mushroom Mushroom

All Dogs Go To Heaven

You're hereby redeemed from the sin you performed on COA.

:P

Decimate_The_Weak

Hell yeah dude. Clifford was a great PC. I look forward to your next man!

Karellen

Cliff really came a long way from the paranoid creep who used to sneak up on people at the Pondsfire and yell about wolves. He forced Rivaros, who is an inveterate fence-sitter, to pick a side, and following Cliff around was a great way to get into interesting kinds of trouble - his presence made the Wanderhearts a lot more dramatic. A great character, would run the rings and solve ill-defined puzzles with again.

Though he was often a rather serious character, let us not forget happier times!

QuoteHenry Dogson:  Woof.
Rivaros Ashen: Greet - woah.
Clifford Farrier:  Oi lad. Gathering woof? 
Clifford Farrier:  Hah. Woof. Wool.
Henry Dogson:  Woof.
Henry Dogson:  [A sage nod as he gestures toward ninety, doggy tail wagging]
Rivaros Ashen:  The way you appear out of nowhere is genuinely unnerving.
Clifford Farrier:  Well, you are used to it by now.
Rivaros Ashen:  I should be.
Clifford Farrier:  Lead on good boy.  Let's find some adventure.
Clifford Farrier:  Bark bark.

Wench

Feed me my kid cuisine meal, or I will say the F word.

if she's your girl then why does her leitmotif appear in my battle theme bro  :/

Mymerian

Well done. Def important for Agnes's journey!

Djalia

I'm very sad to see this character go. Thank you for all the great RP

Great job!

Vlaid

I only knew him though trying to gank him once. He got away.

I'll always remember...