Author Topic: The Misadventures of Mattermead Gold, Part II: The Future is Now  (Read 525 times)

I am Mattermead Gold

• All that is Gold glitters.
    • View Profile
The Misadventures of Mattermead Gold
Part II: The Future is Now

By Matron Soppira Hinkley

[A continuation of: The Misadventures of Mattermead Gold
By Matron Soppira Hinkley]
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 12:51:14 PM by I am Mattermead Gold »

I am Mattermead Gold

• View Profile
Decades have passed since the debut of the magnificent and marvelous Mattermead Gold in the City of Rings. So grand a time has it been cataloguing his many accomplishments, big and small that I have decided it is time for a sequel to the prodigous memoirs of my delightful and ever-inspiring colleague. Lo and behold, dear reader, part two of my best-selling work, 'The Misadventures of Mattermead Gold'. I beg you open these gilded pages and see for yourself what new wonders lie in store.

So let us return, briefly, to where we left off. Mattermead had just exited the Cube of the Arbiters--and as I had written he left a different man. To this day, none of us, not even his closest colleagues know exactly what happened therein but what we do know is that when he finally reached the Wizard Warrens he was struck by epiphany! What a place indeed he had stumbled upon, rumoured to be a great nexus of power central to the City of Rings. It is there that our hero came upon the Royal Court Wizards of ages past and learnt from them countless secrets beyond the ken of any single mortal man and then, he vanished!

In my own studies and conversations with my dear colleague, I was able to learn that he had in fact been summoned to the future--a conspiracy of two parts involving ancient laws and powers both of the Cube and timeless Architects who designed our City. And so it is that Mattermead returns to us all, in glorious style, back from the future and none other than I, Matron Soppira Hinkley, shall herald his most auspicious return...

« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 12:40:08 PM by I am Mattermead Gold »

I am Mattermead Gold

• View Profile
on: March 25, 2021, 10:06:14 AM
Quote from: Aurelia Greywood
The voices of the learned have been loud and oft contradictory of late. This will ever be, as those that yearn to know perfection are ever imperfect in their understanding. Together we might know more than we would apart, and I hear this amongst us despite the contestations. I see for us a shared destiny, a common thread linking one and all.

And so I call for a convocation of wizards in three days time, to be held in Ring 100. It is an opportunity for us to discuss how we might better our ring and the City. Perhaps even to form an enclave through which we might uniformly express our needs and the dangers we foresee. For the issue of gentle rebuke when one reaches beyond their grasp and guidance up the ladder of mastery; and to give respectability where before there has been suspicion and misunderstanding.

Each will be allowed to speak their peace, and at the end we will see if there is more that unites us than divides us, such that we form a body. With the beginning comes the hope of a glorious dawn. So says Aurelia Greywood.
[Source: A CALL FOR A WIZARD CONVOCATION circa ???? year of the Promise.]

They say that old habits die hard, dear reader, and it is no less true an adage for even the best of us. So it was that when a great moot was announced and invitations sent out for all the wizards of the City to attend this Convocation of Ring 100 to decide the fate of all Wizardry, that it would coincide with the exact moment Mattermead would snap back into Reality; ready to make wizardry great again.

In truth, this was no coincidence, but as the Lady Aurelia--the future Blue Wizard and Triumvir--had evoked, the very enactment of a shared destiny. A destiny that would see the rise of the greatest arcane institution of the City of Rings, the Prismatic Council. But now we’ve gone ahead of ourselves, dear reader, much as our protagonist was thrust into the future. And so, like him, we shall return to resume the story at its correct place:

With the Lady Aurelia of House Greywood having made her summons, another curious figure now of mythic regard would rise to air his own opinion regarding the matter. Karl Lindqvist the Senior Archivist of the Royal Archives--and future Red Wizard, Triumvir, and Royal Court Wizard--ever proclaiming himself to be the wisest of wizards, having scathingly denounced and even utterly castigated (dare I say, out-castigated) the so-called ‘Ex-Wizard’ Aethelwine Silver, would take issue with the very idea of a cabal of wizards. So outraged, Karl went on to challenge the Lady Aurelia to a bout of Certamen, proposing that should he defeat her, she must rescind her summons to all wizards, but should she prevail over him then he would not merely attend but support her efforts fully.

This duel of magi made for a spectacular contest of skill and power, a demonstration of wizardly acumen and pursuit of only the best outcomes for all involved as Karl and Lady Aurelia took to the bridge of the Peerage Ward. It is said that Lindqvist called upon no less than a blizzard to bury Lady Aurelia in ice, but that she deftly predicted his ongoing storms to close the gap, blinding and deafening Karl until her conjured allies brought him to his knees thus proving the power of destiny as she secured his stake in the future. This would mark only the first victory in the many victories of the Prismatic Council, soon to be.

With sufficient time given for wizards across the Rings to make their great journeys to the 100th Ring from both the exterior and interior of the City, the Convocation was at last held, and as promised, Mattermead revealed himself thence in a brilliant flash. Amongst the many magi gathered there, there were but three who shone the brightest as marked by their very garments: in presence, in intellect, in physique with only one possessed of all three of these admirable traits and more, he who would in turn make manifest destiny and shape from this arcane gathering a veritable institution of magic. I speak of none other than Mattermead who would thence be known as the Gold for his luminescence and name, who along with Aurelia Greywood the Blue, and Karl Lindqvist the Red would arise as Triumvirs--the leadership body--of the Prismatic Council, each so brilliantly bedecked in a primary colour. Becoming thusly rays of the highest possible state of illumination, the great fundament of Creation, Light itself. No greater a statement could be made of the sublimity of the arcane as the common link that would come to bind all wizards was revealed in all of its glory.

And so the archons of lumininsence--the greatest wizards of the City of Rings--raised their hands to the sky and declared once and for all:

'In the way that a prism breaks a beam of Light, are we all of its brilliance revealed!'

It was a chant that echoed the old glory of 'rit-you-al, rit-you-al, rit-you-al!' and that pleased Mattermead ever so much. He could not have hoped for any brighter a new beginning.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 10:15:37 AM by I am Mattermead Gold »

I am Mattermead Gold

• View Profile
on: May 30, 2021, 12:05:58 PM
Within every great man’s story there are always the stories of side characters, colleagues, and others whose lives, influence and works come and go throughout the protagonist’s journey. Sometimes these characters are strong enough to split off and spawn an entirely new story of their own but often and as in the case of these memoirs of the grandiose Mattermead Gold they feature instead as memorable and at times endearing or even reviled figures who bring a dash of colour to the great epic.

It is at this venture, with the Prismatic Council soundly established with wizards across the Rings rushing to join the great new institution that we are gifted with the legend of Karl Lindqvist the Red, Triumvir, Royal Court Wizard, and Senior Scribe of the Royal Archives. A man whose legend matches only his notoriety, whose appetite for authority cowed the old Royal Archivist--before he was so cleanly culled by a Ruby--into submission and whose achievements lay thoroughly in the realm of dastardly deeds.

It all began with a meeting. The illustrious Mattermead was summoned to the Spinning Groat by Karl the Red to discuss the future--a topic upon which Mattermead's expertise is without parallel. In attending such an appointment, our hero had attracted the attentions of one ‘Aszanaj Vohm’, a long-lost apprentice of the Master Gold but one afflicted with a terrible malady: the inability to speak clearly and yet when given the chance speaking in a feverish string of words at times so fast as to be unintelligible. The apprentice and his mannerisms would quickly spark the ire of Karl, resulting in a commotion that threatened to involve other passers-by, but of course the Red Wizard would not allow such chaos to mar wizardly discourse and demonstrated one of his virtues (or vices depending on who you might ask) acting swiftly with magic missiles to lay the delirious apprentice low. Whatever the case, Sparrowbroth himself was heard uttering praise of wizards handling their own as the magi departed the premises with apprentice in tow.

The exact details of what transpired after Karl led Gold and the apprentice Vohm to his secret meeting room remain just that, a secret--the likes of which cannot be shared with the Uninitiated without terrible repercussions. What is known however is that when the convocation of magi was concluded, Aszanaj Vohm was announced the Beige Apprentice, bound to the Triumvirate, and was cured of all of his ailments; safe enough to be returned to polite society. This firmly established the Prismatic Council as a force of order, compassion, and social upliftment.

On the subject of secrets, everyone knows they are an essential component of of any successful arcane institution and though few of the Prismatic Council’s many secrets are open to the public, another involving Karl the Red would come to light with time. During one of his many visitations to the Royal Archives, Mattermead would overhear a conversation between the Royal Archivist and the Junior Scribe (and future Red Wizard) Alphonse Winneseph in which the former lectured that the posturing and insistent nature of Lindqvist was the sole reason he was given the title of Senior Scribe and that the Junior Scribe ought not lament his more modest rank. Going on to say that it was a way of appeasing a dangerous man–-what a revelation, dear reader, as to the means and manner in which the old Royal Archives were run. How many lies we must now wonder were recorded in that old establishment and passed off as history and true record just because the old man felt threatened?!

So it is established that through sheer will Karl Lindqvist had obtained his title of Senior Archivist despite having been a mere Janitor of the Royal Archives (as he would reveal at the gallows), it would prove true as well when it came to his claim of another post of privilege. Levying authority over the Peerage Ward, instructing and chiding both retainers, the King’s militia, and even minor nobles through little but his own force of presence Lindqvist would go on to simply claim the title of the Royal Court Wizard. Stating that certamen defaulted in his favour (and truly it did), the future looked bright for the Red Wizard. That was until one fatal blunder finally came to haunt him.

It was another secret. When questions began to be asked about the disappearance of an ‘Inspector Fowler’ of the King’s Militia, certain magi sworn to oaths of truth began to speak the secrets hidden inside the recesses of their minds despite the threats upon their lives that kept them there. In all of these whispers one name kept returning to the fore, one name kept recurring until it reached deafening crescendo: “Karl, Karl, Karl the Red. Karl the Red whose hands are stained with the same!” So they spoke like spirits risen in unrest, so they condemned and so did the Nephzarim Inquisition descend. Lindqvist thought he would find immunity in plotting with such figures as the Black Bishop Eris Hale, that there might be some way his authority would have been greater than this Inspector Fowler, that what he had done was merely execute justice upon an unlawful infiltrator…only to have justice executed upon him instead!

Taken to the gallows, this haggard old man was stripped of his colours of station but as he stood there naked, given leave to speak his final words, he would not be stripped of his pride. Spilling his secrets, of his plot to steal the blood of the Vestry, of his true identity as a Royal Janitor, gloating of his debauchery and his hatred of all, screaming that he should have killed all witnesses too, he then flung storms of ice upon the crowd, marring even the magnificent Mattermead Gold with chills before the noose claimed him. And though in his final acts he sealed his treachery of his fellows, the pain of betrayal stinging the Golden Triumvir cold, his tale remains a legend that could not go stale.

So came, and so went, Karl Lindqvist the Red. With blood on his hands, and treacherous plans, his story was of a man who was too quick to strike, and so for it was put up on a spike.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 08:58:45 AM by I am Mattermead Gold »

I am Mattermead Gold

• View Profile
on: May 30, 2021, 12:21:18 PM
Though beyond the perception of the mundane and those lacking arcane talent, as the previous page is read and should a finger run across the parchment those attuned to magic would feel a hint of gloating revelry as they read over what happened in Karl Lindqvist's secret meeting room. A momentary flash of imagery would strike the mind. A benign dweomer wrought of a masterful ritualist depicting a scene... a scene so full of giddy excitement and the cheer of a magnificent ritual come to successful fruition. It is the sort of thing that makes a wizard yearn to feel the same, such terrible temptation of the arcane. A temptation most certainly placed by the skillful design of its architect--though perhaps not a thing its desired audience would immediately realise--but one that might not carry such appeal to the more staunch conservative; as few and far between as they might be.
[close]