Author Topic: Proclamation Nailed to the door of The Grand Vestry  (Read 432 times)

Random_White_Guy

• View Profile
on: April 04, 2021, 09:05:51 PM
A Religious fracturing begins in the Peerage Ward. In what can only be described as the most inauspicious of figures, it appears to begin... with a naked gnome(?)

DM Shout

-- Laughter, both stifled and open, throughout the Peerage Ward today, as a Retainer of House Velstra is said to have demanded the coat and clothing, down to the britches, of a Gnome dressed as a street performer. The melee that developed involved several parties... --

-- ... but even House Velstra now laughs in uproar at the marvellous jape their Retainer has played. It is, still, a less-than-subtle reminder that the most that a Retainer may face for so-accosting one of the 'demihumans' in 'Little Ticker' is the barest slap on the wrist. --

Rumors swirl in the wake of violence and insult hurled surrounding the gnomish encounter. Talk of a Retainer of House Parias striking a Retainer of Velstra, talk of Insults flung and tensions rising. Matters move to escalation as early the next morning comes forth a sudden and firm decree from the Promised Bishop of the Grand Vestry, Egbert of Flax.

Egbert Flax
Hark, hark! I, the Promised Bishop, am to make an important announcement!

It has been brought to the attention of the Grand Vestry that the budding House of Parias has subsumed the so-called Lightwardens, a clergy of zealots who practice an unorthodox form of worship in regards to the Promise.

This worship is not sanctioned by the Grand Vestry until such a time that its adherents prove to recognize the Triune as a whole, and not merely the Promise. Thusly, it is with a heavy heart that I declare the following -

House Parias is henceforth excommunicated from the Grand Vestry until its lord acknowledges the need for every retainer to earn themselves a Fealty Scar, as a display of deference to the Triune. Though there are no doubt pious and righteous men in the fold of House Parias -

One is not whole without the other, much like the Triune itself. Look to the tragedy that befell House Haremarch - a culmination of harboring deviant, blasphemous beliefs in the corners of its ranks. History mustn't be repeated in this regard! I, Egbert of Flax, do so decree!

It would be some days time before a formal rebuking of the excommunication raised. Marquis Percival de Parias the Virtuous is seen marching through the Ward flanked by two men in Gold and Blue armor as he makes for the Doorkeepers.

Shortly afte the speech given, the small figure is seen departing Redwheat Manor with a Laborer's hammer.

With a very large nail a proclamation and copy of the speech is hammered loudly into the door of the Grand Vestry....

ATTENTION AND NOTICE

The Bishop of the Promise, Egbert of Flax has declared, unilaterally that I and mine are effectively excommunicated. For those who are unaware of what such entails, it means in the harshest terms of condemnation I and mine are to be excluded from the patronage and support of the Institution as it stands. While some of my own House and others have been quick to point out one irked Bishop does not speak for the institution as a whole, I offer response with all due gravity owed.

Allow me to put this in as clear as terms as may be understood - be it the highest seat of an archivist's tower to the lowest gutter in which one of Little Ticker may have fallen:
Good

For the Institution as it stands? It stands as an embarrassment. Let this be formal declaration that where others are content and let our Steadings suffer, let Little Ticker sit as Slum, and let matters fester in this Ward without fixing? The Steadings now freed, Little Ticker slowly recovers, and now my attention shifted.

For it was an embarrassment to have my faith of the Triune tarnished by the apathetic and corpulent path the Grand Vestry has taken. From this day forward I shall be making a concerted effort to see it scrutinized, improved, and new Bishops raised to see good works done in fair purpose. If nothing more than because the people of this Ward deserve no less.

As Knight of the Realm I hereby pledge: The Grand Vestry will be more or it shall be no more,

And if it cannot mend its ways, in its place something admirable raised.

Should Bishop Hale or others of the Vestry wish negotiate this matter before things escalate further I welcome meeting.

Marquis Percival de Parias the Virtuous
True Knight of House Glitt
Stern Hand of the Lord-Twice-Departed

And just like that line is drawn.

The Stern Hand of the Lord-Twice-Departed and his Lightwardens of the Promise, excommunicated by the Grand Vestry amidst charge of unorthodox practice and likewise with warnings of past deviance.

Countering claims of Bishop Egbert of Flax with accusation of apathy, corruption, and likewise. However strangely not centered upon Egbert Flax, but challenges to the entirety of  The Grand Vestry acting as one body.

...It would appear Religious schism comes to the Peerage Ward.
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

Random_White_Guy

• View Profile
on: April 05, 2021, 04:58:32 PM
As the sun rises higher, proclamation from the Bishop Aletha, the Maimed of the Grand Vestry. Known to others as Eris Hale, friendly handmaiden of the Matriarch of House Sunpurse, Lady Oriana.

Eris Hale
Speaks Alethea, the Maimed, our Lady's Bishop of the Grand Vestry. Egbert of Flax:

Once again, you have conducted yourself in a shameful manner. Word of your profligacy has reached me, yet /again/. You fancy yourself Cardinal, or perhaps Archbishop, to think that you can excommunicate those in good standing in this Ward without so much as a letter to I?

Let it be known that the 'decree' of excommunication regarding the Lightwardens is nothing more than this man's fanciful delusion. In case it is not clear, it is null and void - dead on arrival, as it fails to follow any established precedent. This man seeks to use the Vestry for his own cause....

.....and yet, he has failed, at every turn, to follow the proper rites, which should evince how little regard he truly has for the position to which he has been appointed. Even your justification reek of your self-serving nature. When was the last time we saw some of Velstra attend communion?

Yet you wish to denounce and attaint others, for not having themselves attended? Who should want to attend Communion, when it is presided by the likes of /you/? You, Egbert of Flax, are no Bishop of mine.

Ser Parias, I and the Vestry remain at your disposal to discuss the good works and future of this Ward, which should remain, as always, the chief priority of the Grand Vestry. I will remove the notice pinned to our door - it lends this sad profligate a legitimacy he should not have.

Later today, there shall be Communion and sermon in the Vestry, and the formal announcement of the Religious Synod to take place in a few days' time, through which we may finally settle the religious disagreements which, if left unchecked, threaten to sunder this Ward. Thank you.

In equally harsh condemnation of Egbert of Flax, the Bishop off the Lady pronounces that the Bishop of Promise oversteps his boundaries. That Egbert of Flax abuses his position. Yet in escalation of matters many word echoes in harshest possible terms. In the same sort of heavy handed denouncement that the Bishop of Promise laid upon House Parias, The Bishop of the Lady sets sight on larger target: That the entirety of The Great House of Velstra has lapsed in its religious obligations, its duties and services of communion.

Not to take insult of any sort upon the chin or in stride, the Famed Flyting Force of Velstra squares itself with sole eyes on insult upon their House, dispatching their finest in duelist's parry before driving in a brutal and ruthless riposte to the very throat of the Countal House Sunpurse.

Rhomos Branwyn
Well! Let is never be said that the Bishop of the Lady lacks for verbosity. I look forward to her Sermon later this eve. As do many other of my delightful Velstran brothers. Perhaps for topic she might consider to discuss the wretched damnation which awaits those who harm innocents.

Such a subject might even rouse Ser Nicholas, who she has just so rudely condemned for his absence from Church, as he sits a silent and solemn vigil at the bedside of his beloved wife - who was struck down, as we shall remember, in cold and uncaring ambush by Orza and Sunpurse treachery.

But I am in danger of becoming as verbose as the Bishop! Killian, Cad, do come find me at the Vale? I am so pressingly bored and desirous of company.

Wielding the name as one would a cudgel or perhaps an ancient incantation of summoning, the threat of Ser Nicholas Velstra the Red Lion is invoked publicly for the first time in recent memory, in the same breath as attack upon his wife Lady Valentina, and swift accusation of old wounds cut by Orza and Sunpurse. Bold accusations of abuse of power, bolder accusations of violence upon an innocent woman of High Standing, and threats of the Red Lion as tensions on both sides escalate.

A Sunpurse supplicating before a Glitt? A Bishop condemning an entire GREAT HOUSE of the Ward? House Velstra casting aside their oft deemed "neutrality" to strike for the throat of House Sunpurse's public Countal Facade condemning them for violence upon the Nobility of the Peerage Ward!

From a nail driven into a door grows further schism as minor house politics is swiftly cast aside and dominated by Great House Accusations and Intrigues. Religious conflict as a new, confusing and unusual battlefield. Far different from the usual fare of lines drawn for council politics, dispensary contest, and similar.

Deeply personal, swifter biting, and with a gravitas and brazen penchant for fire and brimstone theatrics.

As move, counter move and more is made one thing can be seen clearly by any:  Rectory Politik of the Peerage Ward appears a different animal all together.

...A new front of war opens in the culture battle for the Peerage Ward. The Battle of The Bishops begins.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 06:29:33 PM by Random_White_Guy »

Random_White_Guy

• View Profile
on: April 06, 2021, 12:53:38 AM
Much as word swirls it was a feud over a gnome bullied that escalated affairs, first blood was not drawn by the Countal Supporters of Bishop Hale, the Ardent supporters of Bishop Flax, or even the servitors of Ser Parias pressuring the Vestry to act.

In unusual call The Once Great House of Nephezar invited by Bishop Hale to the streets of the Peerage Ward on a dark and stormy night came will ill portent.

Marwyn Faircourt
Miss Eris Hale, Lictor Torncloak awaits you at the Bridge as per your request.

Not long after matters got heated, the word "Sanguinare!" howled by Torncloak and he and his men sprung to violence action.

DM Shout
-- A smattering of drizzle begins to fall through Ninety-Nine, which common-folk blame on the various inhabitants of the Ponds, and which the Ponds in turn blame on the various cults of Nine-Seven; all the Rings, at least, are united in their distaste for ill weather. --

-- Murmurings in the Peerage as some manner of confrontation brews before the gates; at least one auspicious member of the Vestry is said to be /denounced/ for all to hear. --

-- Bloodshed and chaos near the gates of the Peerage as a melee breaks out; a band of ruffians are said to have assailed Bishop Hale of House Sunpurse... to results unclear! --

-- Word spreads from the Peerage: some /resurgent Nephezar/ evidently cast grave words, those of Adela Nephezar, against the Bishop of the Lady, Eris Hale. Hale survives... the Nephezar largely escaped... and one of their number even now may be sent to the gallows. --

Ser Percival Parias
Lictor. I speak now not as I, but as messenger of the Bishop of the Lady - She and her Champion march your man to the Gallow of the Steadings. You can offer your life in his stead and deliver to her Adela's location.

-- In the Steadings, before the gates to the Peerage and Ring Ninety-Nine... there is the sharp 'thunk' of a lever and mechanism... then the sharp note of a rope going taut... and the crack of a man's neck broken. A body hangs from the gallows. --

While some decry the harsh display of "The Lady Mothers Mercy" as the House of Sunpurse hangs another would be rebel against the Count's reign, word rises from the Bishop.

Eris Hale
Let it be known this day, that Rhenaios the Torncloak, whose masters are the captors of Lady Adela, has refused to offer his life, for a man who gave his own for him. You are no Lictor, do not despoil the title of my dead friend the Dame Einhardt, with your sullying tongue.

You and yours are banished and attainted. Reveal the location where you hold her captive, and /repent/, and then you shall know the Lady-Mother's mercy, and not before. I am fed up with trying to make overtures to you, to suffer again the indignity of /attempted murder/ in the streets.

Repent, or your next conversation will be with servants of the House of the Rising Sun /far less/ light in the touch of their hands. Good day, sir. May your misguided friend, who swore his life to you, rest in peace.

Ser Percival Parias
Once more has the blood of House Parias been shed in the street in the pursuit of preservation of law, of order, and of decorum. My stomach turns because a woman I just finished telling I was no ally of, my sword drawn to protect and my Retainers bleed on behalf of.

I do not care if it is the lowest peasant or the Count Senuspur himself someone is seeking to oust- We are not nor have we ever been lawless beast. There are proper avenue, channel, and means by which changes comes to this Ward.

To that end your petition has not fallen upon deaf ears, Bishop Hale. If you are prepared to risk as much as you just have in the fight upon the street I have just witnessed? Fighting for your faith and life, you have my support for the Council to see the Vestry removed of the corrupt influence of Bishop Flax.

As word comes of formal declaration of Bishop Hale seeking to oust Bishop Flax, with the backing of Ser Parias, The name Marwyn Faircourt and his last words to be remembered by many.

"Long Live Adela Nephezar,
 Lictor Torncloak,
and may they achieve their goals
under the Tattered Banner of the King's Cowls."

To some a brave man striking at the mouthpiece of the Lady Oriana Sunpurse and a slithering viper who has long evade many similar murderous pursuits sowing corruption and likewise.
His last words and echoing to the steadings of a righteous fury.

To others a thuggish casualty by fringe presence striking once more with zeal and fervor in audacious attack upon the Peerage's institutions.
His last words a howling of a maddened fanatic. Whether his cause supported or discarded,

...First blood shed and the first life claimed in the The Battle of the Bishops.

Random_White_Guy

• View Profile
on: April 08, 2021, 07:19:15 AM
Amidst otherwise waxing and waning, rising and falling, of the political tides the Battle of the Bishops continues to heat up. Spurned by the public support from Ser Parias given in the wake of survived assassination attempt, the BIshop of the Lady takes to the Doorkeepers to declare new purpose for the King's Inquisition - A Religious Inquest.

Eris Hale
Allow me to express my utmost gratitude to the High Priestess Cona, to Sir Percival, the Upright, to their Lightwardens. To Leander, of the Lady. To them, and the others who defended me in my hour of truest need.

If I have been, at times, absent, I assure you, it is for fear of these poor fools who are goaded into, time and again, attempting upon my life. And, I'll confess - I am also tired of the behavior of so many others. Our Ward has become riven by hypocrisy. It is shameful.

Egbert of Flax, I have received not word nor whisper from you. I appoint Retainer Malik of Orza Vestral Inquisitor to investigate the matter of your profligacy. If you should be found innocent, let that shame fall upon me. If you are not, I pray you'll beg for the Mother's mercy. Good evening.

The following night does the Inquisitor formally take to command the matter.

Malik Adalya
My research into the vestrial inquisition keeps me. As Bishop Hale did say last eve, I look into the matters of Egbert Flax's accused profligacy. All are called to bear witness to me their accounts of Bishop Flax wanting in excess, living in extravagance, or acting with absurd recklessness.

All who seek to testify have seven nights to bring forth your accounts before judgement will be cast down.

Bishop Flax, I pray your soul is pure and untainted. You are called first to testify. Should you be absent on affairs, your letter is expected swiftly. Wulfric Stoutmantle and the House Parias is also called.

In tale that grows all too common of late in the Peerage Ward, commands leveraged by House Sunpurse give way to Orzan mission. The King's Inquisitor himself in black and orange regalia takes to the field...

One may say the choice an easy one as the infamous "Cowled" zealots now of House Nepehzar once bested by the Inquisitor himself, and politics makes strange Bedfellow, even among the Rectory.

One may also say though that this all seems a dangerous precedent to set by the Bishop of the Lady. For when one uses the word "Inquisition" in religious context...

...The outcomes rarely pleasant or peaceful for any involved. And with one man already hanged by the Bishop of the Lady, the mind prone to wondering...