Taunt should cause Stancebreach

Started by SunrypeSlim, June 16, 2021, 11:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunrypeSlim

PM me for an apology! :3

SunrypeSlim

SamB123

Taunt already reduces AC and adds a 30% chance of spell failure,. It's fine as-is.

Prove me wrong (and quit being rude).

SunrypeSlim

It was a joke; if you can't take it in good humour,  get off the internet. Stop being flippant and dismissive, then pretending you have the right to be offended.

Dredi

ooookay dookay. I think we need to simmer down a bit here :)

I would agree though that the current debuffs for Taunt (up to -6ac and Spell Failure) feel like they are substantial enough without adding more debuffs onto it.

That and - correct me if I'm wrong but -  I think messing with skills like that is somewhere between very difficult and impossible? - A lot of things changed with EE. Hard to say whats Hard-coded anymore.

SunrypeSlim

Stancebreach as a function of skills or spells would lead to more interesting combat without consumables (which favour certain players/characters over others). It's not a super powerful effect outside certain contexts so it should be fine to add into Taunt.

Loops

Taunt is already one of the most powerful things you can do on COR. Letting you cancel peoples stances as well would be... Substantial. There's nothing to say it's good or bad. Balance is subjective. It would be a huge power spike to barbarians, paladins , and bards, who are all already quite strong. I'm not sure it's a necessary change.

SunrypeSlim

Those are reasonable counterpoints. From my perspective, it would be a moderate utility for certain characters (played by, for example, part-timers). Those who already have 30 stancebreaches, or an encyclopedic knowledge of drop locations, probably would not notice a difference.

Dredi

Well, its a bit more complex than that.

This isnt just "Allowing people to stance breach without an item"

This is "Allowing people to stance breach an infinate number of times as part of another action."

I'd be much more interested in allowing it as part of some sort of Bluff/Parry "Fient" unique action, but not as part of something which is already very strong - this could lead to a swing loss of 12ac in one turn which is a fairly big deal.

SamB123

Quote from: SunrypeSlim on June 17, 2021, 11:24:11 AM
It was a joke; if you can't take it in good humour,  get off the internet. Stop being flippant and dismissive, then pretending you have the right to be offended.

If you want your suggestions to be taken seriously, consider their ramifications first...

Quote from: Dredi on June 17, 2021, 03:27:12 PM
Well, its a bit more complex than that.

This isnt just "Allowing people to stance breach without an item"

This is "Allowing people to stance breach an infinite number of times as part of another action."

I'd be much more interested in allowing it as part of some sort of Bluff/Parry "Feint" unique action, but not as part of something which is already very strong - this could lead to a swing loss of 12ac in one turn which is a fairly big deal.
In my opinion, even if you made it part of an action like that, it'd be pretty OP. There's times where 1 or 2 AC is the difference between being crit to death and being fine -- let alone more than that.

Stancebreach SHOULD cost something, and right now it costs consumables. It's pretty balanced at the moment, in my opinion.

Pigadig

Beat each other up in game instead, nobody needs to read this shitfest or moderate it for that matter.