Druid Companions - lower restrictions

Started by d1n4l9q7, October 09, 2021, 11:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d1n4l9q7

Lower the level requirements for Druids training animal companions. As it stands now you need to be about level 6 to be able to make use of basic animal companions as a druid. I'm not sure if there are other variables involved I am missing but it just mentions levels. While it makes sense to have higher restrictions for rangers, it doesn't for Druids. Default NWN has Druids getting companions a level one and rangers at 6. Changlings are kill on site, and most druids will tend to be very isolated and outcasts because of this, thus making it harder to get to level 6+ where as a ranger can just do the normal lowbie run and get there in a day.

So I suggest making it possible for Druids to train wolves, giant frogs, basic stuff like that starting at level 3. They can already AE them so why not just make them trainable for Druids earlier.

Pandip

Druid, along with maybe cleric, is one of the easiest classes to solo to 7.

Barkskin, strength, endurance, grace, and a default animal companion can allow you to easily solo pretty much any quest with complete ease. An AE'd animal makes it even easier. By the time you get to 5, your physical stats don't even matter. I believe druids also get more XP ticks from interacting with druid things IG.

I'm not saying that druids don't deserve a little bit more leeway considering they're treated like the equivalent of werewolves IG, but if you're having trouble with the lowbie grind on a druid there are problems other than your access to new companions before 6.

d1n4l9q7

I've missed the part where you can start with a default companion which would largely placate me. I thought you could only train one. I still think the suggestion should be considered  based on the system being too similar or the same for rangers and druids. Druids should have a sizeable advantage over rangers, most rangers are Peerage. It's not going to be a really mechanical boost for druids, more a RP and convenience. As it stands now I believe a ranger will train a companion well before a Druid, based solely on rangers leveling to 6-7 much quicker.