Author Topic: Manfred Japes  (Read 534 times)

Stranger

• View Profile
on: December 17, 2021, 01:36:47 AM
I am going to level with you, not as a knight, but as a brother in cause.

Don't do this. Don't even go. Forget about this mission. Stay home in the Peerage with us.

You have bitten off more than you can chew with your dream for an Age of Orza, and I don't even mean the Pallid Prince.

This can't end well.

A.W.

Lannister

• View Profile
on: December 17, 2021, 08:13:57 AM
Witness my greatness or stand by my casket.

I will go.

Manfred Japes

Stranger

• View Profile
on: December 19, 2021, 08:25:51 AM
The bones of the dead called out to me, during our fraught battle for the western gate.

"Traitor!"

I rarely pay mind to the cursed dead, but in this, I wonder if they're wrong.

We really are just throwing open the path for the Count by doing this, Manfred. What are we even doing here? All this for pride?

A.W.

Lannister

• View Profile
on: December 19, 2021, 08:33:41 AM
The Prince took what is ours.

We need the woman for Phelan.

Manfred Japes

Stranger

• View Profile
on: December 19, 2021, 08:41:04 AM
Phelan needs our help as much we need his.

And even if we did manage to bring back the Count's creature, what, are we going to stand by and wait for her to murder him?

A.W.

Lannister

• View Profile
on: December 19, 2021, 08:42:02 AM
He's going to kill her obviously.

If he doesn't we can use her against him somehow. Either way, Lady Oriana will be rescued and the Prince struck down or harmed.

Manfred Japes

Stranger

• View Profile
on: December 19, 2021, 08:50:01 AM
I'm all for killing vampires. This self-proclaimed "Prince" has done unspeakable wrongs to unspeakably many.

But we both know that we don't have the shackles to hold the witch we say we're here for. And I'm far from thrilled that the comitals are here with us. Even if we survive the depraved games ahead of us, our great achievement will be ushering the Drill on to the next Ring; a bitterness that, I promise you, won't easily rinse from our mouths.

What is this yellow mist? Why did the Pallid Prince pull out of the King's domain? Whose hands are at work here?

How did we let ourselves be pawns? Where else is this game going?

A.W.

Stranger

• View Profile
on: February 14, 2022, 10:02:00 AM
As we stumble through these final nights, I find it harder and harder to trust anyone at all. The paranoia gnaws at me. It has been chewing me up for weeks now, for months. Someone I believe in with all my heart could return to me, just a scant hour after I saw them last, as a monster wearing their face and mocking their memory. Despair grips my heart as I glance beyond the Rings at the covetous void, for I know it looks back at me, slavering for a chance to wash away everything I've ever known or loved. It is the End. It is the doom of my people. It is the doom of my world, the jealous regrets of a thousand other doomed worlds that fell into darkness before ours did.

Is this how Arrhenius felt? Is this his madness, his grief, knowing what comes? That even if I find a way to survive what's coming, the world I knew will be gone forever? And that if I don't survive, that the dark beyond awaits me; that I'd be cast into the sea of the suffering dead like so many before me, like so many more after me?

I miss the simpler days of the Peerage, when my greatest concern was stopping House Orza's latest scheme for taking over the world, when all that mattered was dodging the wrath of a deadly neighbor or dancing around the intrigues of an ambitious villain. The darkness was far away back then. There were so many people, so many ringrunners, so much life; new faces pulsed through the veins of our City, hope hot in their hearts, determination bright in their eyes. The whimsy of Ticker Square would break up the grim dramas of the Peerage. The merchants and knights would one-up each other. The names of the day would squabble. The wheel would turn, and tomorrow would bring a new champion for everyone to trip over themselves trying to pull down.

Our world is different now.

Our world is smaller. Our world is stagnant and afraid. Our world groans from the strain of holding us up, from keeping us out of the black pools gathering below. The End might come at any moment, and I cannot trust my fellow men to have the courage to hold it back; I cannot even be sure they are not serving it in some wicked madness.

I don't know if you're right about Kinsley.

I don't know if Kinsley is right about you.

And I hate that I don't, that I can't ever know, and that even if I did know the answer could be different tomorrow. Even the height of the Knaves was not so horrific as this. Those men were criminals. Those men were traitors. But at least they were men, at least they were human men with human motives. Now, in their place, comes an hour of wolves; a game of monsters. Fetches. Doppelgangers. We huddle around the dying embers of our bonfire, surrounded by ice and shadow, wondering if morning will come.

So often, it feels like the best I can do is try to look out for the men under my command, for the people in my charge, hoping that my brittle designs will be enough to give them a tomorrow. If I'm cunning enough, maybe their tomorrow will be better than their today; I'd pray for that to be true, if I still believed praying did any good at all. But I don't. And surely you don't either?

Why do you keep praying, Manfred, to every god you can find, when you know they can't help us?

A.V.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 10:13:00 AM by Stranger »

Lannister

• View Profile
on: February 14, 2022, 01:08:12 PM
Quote from: A note arrives by way of a scared looking Orzan
I have given you a way to trust me. I will lay myself bare to your inquisition if we are in agreement but till then, how too can I trust a man who I am not sworn with?

Stranger

• View Profile
on: February 14, 2022, 02:54:14 PM
All the talk of an "unbreakable vow" makes you sound like Doran Moonspear. I saw how such things end when I watched Cybel melt away into liquid shadow at the nave of Dusk's Cradle.

I have little trust for rituals, and less for those I don't understand.

A.V.

Lannister

• View Profile
on: February 14, 2022, 03:08:37 PM
Quote from: One last note is sent
Bound by blood between us, one shall not harm the other in word or deed. That is the magic offered, a compulsion of the highest order. If you wish more then find me in person, but as ever I'm true to my word.