Remove XP Loss from familiars

Started by Vlaid, December 17, 2021, 10:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vlaid

Familiars are really not that strong to justify the XP loss anymore. It would be nice to be able to have your familiar out without fearing of having someone troll you by attacking your familiar to remove XP from you indirectly

So I suggest removing the XP loss but making them like animal companions where if they die they are gone for the reset.

Dredi

I wholeheartedly agree.

The XP loss especially at higher levels leaves Familiars as a huge risk to have about during anything even remotely dangerous.

ApostropheApostasy

I support this suggestion. I've heard that this has been suggested in the past, and that the DMs at the time agreed changes should be made but were hoping to hash out the role they'd like familiars to play for wizards before making changes to the system. It's been a year or so since that conversation. It would be a nice change to have even as a temporary measure while things are sorted out. It'd just be fun to have the ability to use a familiar as a prop for wizard RP in town without the anxiety of 1200 or 1600xp loss hanging over your head.

Empress of Neon

I'm going to have to agree. Familiars have been reduced to 'free buff-dispensers' when they should be the most loyal/reflective companion of any mage actively participating in rp. And I've seen wayyyy too many people jump on familiars as 'disease ridden animals to be killed' while simultaneously being alright with the BEARDED OX in places like the Ward. It's time to whip players into confidence again by not having the threat of days-long progress being made nulled for 'reasons'.

Stranger