"Skilled" Half-Orcs

Started by Coffee, February 11, 2022, 05:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coffee

One of the reason I dislike playing a half-orc fighter is that their intelligence will always force me to either pick between Concentration and Discipline, or it will force me to play with their ability scores to get both. While this intelligence reduction isn't as bad for other classes, the penalty will always be felt regardless of class. While having reduced skill points seems like a balancing point between getting additional strength, this only stands up if Half-orcs were given equal advantages within the culture of COR, which they aren't. The world of CoR is predominantly favored toward humans, and as such, they are the ones to reap most the reward (Ability to become retainers, general social acceptance, etc.) Thus, to give more incentive to play a half-orc despite the negative connotations that exist IG, I have a simple suggestion:

QuoteHalf-Orcs keep reduced intelligence and Charisma, but are given "Skilled" (The human feat that gives additional skill points). This will allow Half-orcs to invest in the same amount of skills a normal subrace would be allowed, but keeps the role-play expectation of having lower intelligence.

Stranger

The feat does nothing. It's just an informational blurb, like "Small Stature," with no mechanical effects. You are directly coded to have +1 skill point per level if you have Human as your character race at the time of leveling up.

As a quirk of this, being polymorphed while leveling removes the skill bonus, as does a change in racial type from later becoming a monster.