+bludgeoning damage and GMW/MW does not stack

Started by Ziya, May 10, 2022, 09:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziya

Hi hi,

I think there's a bug which I have confirmed with a few other players -

A weapon that adds bludgeoning damage does not stack that damage with Magic Weapon / Greater Magic Weapon. Instead, the latter sometimes override it, or sometimes the former overrides it (unsure, about this).

For example, a set of monk's gloves dealing +1d4 bludgeoning damage would instead only deal +1 damage if buffed with Magic Weapon, instead of +1d4 + 1 damage as it likely should.

Paha

That's nwn damage bonus system. The effects are ranked, and cannot stack. It is not a bug, but a design.

I believe it works by a ranking system, if I recall. Highest ranked bonus takes priority. I checked and I think by default 1d4 should be ranked above +1 and +2 pure dmg, so it should be doing 1d4. Are you sure it has never done more than +1? Have you tested this extensively? It will not stack, that is certain as they are both dmg bonus effects.

Ziya

Sorry, yes, I thnk that might be right. I have not done extensive testing on this, merely noticed that it does not stack. I think...

A d4 bludgeoning damage would override the +1.

A d8 bludgeoning damage would override a +3.

Is there no way to make them stack, so that it deals d4+1 instead of d4, with magic weapon?

Paha

Maybe, possibly, if it was done via custom means and not as normal weapon property damage bonus. Otherwise it's nwn thing.

Vlaid

AFAIK there was never really any desire to make them stack, it helps balance some things out. That's why +1 slashing swords are very common, helps you while unbuffed but not so much while buffed.  Monk gloves with slashing or elemental damage on them are worth much more than bludgeon damage for this reason.

Also why weapons with +x amount of damage of a type not of their native damage type are much stronger.