Marcella de Ventura, Hanging up the Hat.

Started by Runic, May 12, 2022, 05:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Runic

Marcella was my second attempt at playing a rogue. Winnie's build was built entirely around Heal, and this time I actually wanted to go Ringrunning. Still only got as far as 90 due to scheduling issues and then House politics. But all of that is inconsequential to the life she ended up leading. The build was simple - Minor perks of Treasure hunter and Scavenger - Major perk Archaeologist, I build Marcella to be the ultimate little treasure hunter, and thus her backstory was born.

Marcella's backstory:
Born in Ring 202, colloquially called the Red-Light Ring, given that it's a ring full of taverns, gambling halls, and brothels. A respite from the weary world for many a ring-runner, the ring has seen many a famous runner pass through it including her father Vincent de Ventura, runner of fortune and good tidings, whose family line was said to be blessed by Pitter Peter, who bestowed upon them the Keen Eye. [This was my OOC reason for why she was so good at finding things.]
Her mother, not wanting her business to be burdened, assured that the next time Vincent passed through he gained a daughter as his travelling companion. And thus they ran, from 202 to 104, but never the direct road. Vincent would always want to explore every side alley, every hole, every tiny path that might contain a treasure, but they kept running. In Ring 104, Vincent took a bad arrow from a bandit, he never made it further. His final wishes, were that his remains be taken to the feet of the King, so that he could at least make it there in spirit. So Marcella carried on, a pouch of ashes that were once her father with her, and broke forth into Ring 100.

When building her personality, I was unsure how to play her, until I fell in love with the Suitor's Suit in the Peerage Ward starting zone. Immediately I thought: 'A woman who has been raised by a single father, who has taught her every masculine trait imaginable.' So she smoked cigars, wore suits, drank whiskey, and swore like a trooper.

On her first day in the Ward, she was approached by Adrian to join Velstra, and she told him promptly. 'No.'
Marcella went on for many days questing, making friends, finding treasures, and that is when she found it. The item that would become her downfall ... An old Velstran Hunting Hat.

Of course, when Adrian found out she had a Velstran Hat, it was join the House or lose the hat ... It was a good hat. I stand by that choice. And thus, Marcella was catapulted into the political quagmire of the Ward.  While serving with Velstra, she had some more adventures and made some lovely friends who she treasured deeply.

Lalena, whom she called Bookworm, and treasured. Especially after the incident with Gideon where Marcella became fiercely protective of her.

Fabian, whom she teased mercilessly, but who she developed a deep fondness for, maybe even rivalling that of her fondness for Adrian. Hours were spent in the Vale, talking shit.

But then of course there were Adrian and Cynia, who Marcella entered a consenting throuple relationship with. I won't post the shots, but there is a time when Marcella commissioned some leathers and a whip to spice things up in the boudoir.  Her loyalty to Adrian was tested with the Fermento fiasco, and she had been tempted to allow him to escape, but those thoughts were pushed aside and well ... Fermento paid that price of loyalty.

Of course, the most memorable moment was when Mongrels attacked the Weald, and she and others were taken to become the newest mongrel recruits. Robert the Half-Orc died during the transformation, but the others were turned. Adrian died to Sverri that night, and the next day Ashan was killed. Of the four, only one remained. It was then that she devised her most devious of plans. Marcella wasn't that good in a fight, she was a bow-rogue with good search, but good search/spot/listen meant the perfect spy. Her body might have been changed, but her heart still belonged to Adrian, and her soul remained human. So she called on her old friend Isaiah, and together they devised a plan. Marcella would spy on the mongrels, and leak everything she could learn about them. A true snake in the grass. The original plan was for Isaiah and the guild to build a bomb, which Marcella could use to blow up herself and the mongrel camp, but some plans just don't come to fruition.

A link to that journal can be found here: https://www.efupw.com/forums/index.php?topic=704921.0

With Marcella's story on hold while I went on the play a new character with a new story that quickly started ramping up, so Marcella's plan was always to die. I don't like making alt's in general, let alone alts that end up in two very big plotlines. So her journal eventually called for her death from the very same friend who she had dreamed up the scheme with. It was touching, tender, and I must say Don is a great player for some heart-breaking roleplay.

Marcella was a really enjoyable experience. From start to finish. From humble beginning to tragic end. Maybe for her services Velstra will name a whiskey in her honour, but if not, I hope she will at least always be a treasured memory to some. Thank you truly to everyone who made her such an enjoyable experience. To name you all would mean I would 100% forget someone so know no matter if we were friends or foe, you truly left an impact, but special thanks to Don (Isaiah) for our constant scheming.

A final tip of the hat! Drink deep, and drink well!

Don Nadie

I loved our adventures, and I loved our intriguing... I even loved paying 15k to save Marcella's life, and all the ensuing drama!

Just a lot of fun. As always, thank you for lovely PCs.

Lalena Steele

Marcella was a great character, and though the innocent Lalena would blush at the harshness of Marcella's speech, she loved her all the same and will always carry her hat with love and pride. 

Ectheledhel