Author Topic: Rin Farrell  (Read 135 times)

Diabl0658

• View Profile
on: September 01, 2022, 06:46:50 AM
Rin,

Maybe its not important, but what do I know of druids? Im writing instead of her, as she says she hates letters. She says they are "fake", that they carry feelings that are gone or changed by time they are read.

Anyway, I told her you still thought of her as a sister, abeit a rotten one. Sarcella said you had a "bitter nostalgia" for her. Perhaps that put a notion in Valmoira's head.

She doesn't know what she wanted to talk about, she simply said that at the time talking seemed better than hunting. That perhaps you had some unknown wisdom to share with her. I think she meant it.

Perhaps best you didn't show up. And I'm glad you ran from the Sheppernines, you'd have died if you stayed. From where I am standing, option 3 is starting to look like the best one.

- Prisoner

merrychase

• View Profile
on: September 01, 2022, 06:38:48 PM

.--.      .-'.      .--.      .--.      .--.      .--.      .`-.      .--.
:::::.\::::::::.\::::::::.\::::::::.\::::::::.\::::::::.\::::::::.\::::::::.\
'      `--'      `.-'      `--'      `--'      `--'      `-.'      `--'      `

Brother,

It is true, once not so long ago it was clearer to me how best to love all my brothers and sisters.

Yet in this I see perhaps the largest failing of man's love; it grows in proportion to its return.

To put it another way, consider: it is good to give a buttered heel of bread at a banquet to one's fellow feaster.

But it is also easy to do.

Now imagine you're the heel of bread. To still love the feaster then?

Much harder to do.

But in fact, that is how the Moon loves. If that strikes ye as in-human, well that's because it is, but in a good way.

As for hidden understanding and wisdom, ye know I have not the knack for stating my opinions and conjectures as if they were natural law as some do. Nor frankly have I any desire to hide much of anything. However, I have taken some pains to better know and understand the changes of our current age, so I will write ye some of what I have gathered. Probably wasted words to some we know, but ye have a curious mind, so perhaps it may help thee some.

The aspects of nature that I helped to steal, and the guardians myself and my fellows bedecked in the rising sun slayed, have indeed permitted the fey to ascend and claim more than once they did. The cycles of seasons, was one such aspect, of the seven.

However, the fey are not incomprehensible, inevitable or even irresistible. Their glamours in fact grow in power measured to the tribute they receive. That tribute, strange as it sounds, it isn't actually spiked heads and smoking murder or wanton slaughter. Those are the means, not the end. The end, the tribute, is the passions they cause; the anger, hatred, humiliation, despair in that example.

Or, to put it another way, if ever ye find yourself passionately believing this or that was true, has always been true, and ye must do this or that mighty, terrible deed to fulfill the prophecy; you're right. That's the way the glamour works. It is like the love of man in that regard. The more of it that is done and felt, the more of it there is.

So, a man for example might believe Summer lasted a hundred years, and that only by honoring an ancient pact of vengeance by spilling the blood of say a camp of huscarls and fishermen, can he do what was foretold by the chosen prophet of his great and terrible patron, and change the seasons (or forestall the apocalypse of the Nothing, the desires of men can be manifold)

Whereas I know, Rin and her fellows fully broke the cycle of seasons, in these outer rings at any rate, among other things, not a 100 years ago, but about half a year ago in order to affect the metamorphosis of Phelan. It may be that Sverri the Small, an awoken and Adeptus of Gnipir, a divinity he remembers from before his arrival in the city, was in fact not an immaculate prophet of a hitherto unidentified godhead of this city for some singular purpose. Indeed, the appearance of Gnipir, and the other wolves of his pack is either the most important revelation about the connection of the worlds of the awoken we know of; or it is a glamour of the Fey to get people to do what they want. Which do ye reckon seems more likely?

Why does Gnipir not seem to really know about the burning wolf? That's a rather convenient reinterpretation of that faith and story. Why does he appear and disappear, grow in size, but only in connection to the Winter Court? As far as gods go, seemed like the pair of us could have done him in when we fought him a couple of weeks ago; not even the hardest thing the two of us have had to fight. So are /we/ godlike? When Pavlina took Sverri's life, and his mist-connected augury of Arrenhius, that mysterious relative of the king, at that time, it was quite a different interpretation - spring was heralded, some new hope filled the men of the ward, winter lingered, but didn't heighten; its power checked for a spell somehow.

Or perhaps its something else, and I'm only seeing what's false, but not what's true. My larger point is this, as I cling to some hope, my brothers and sisters still have full use of their minds and senses. When it comes to fey pacts and the stories they tell and what they want, they can mix history and fancy as easily as any man. Moreover, if ye wish to better know what it is they want, consider how what they ask or maneuver ye to do and how it makes ye feel, or how it will make the many feel. That will give ye insight into its motive. The fey have been involved in the affairs of mankind in this city for a long time; often tricking men into getting what they want and by twisting the desires of men. Occasionally, I am told, men have succeeded in tricking the fey. If they promise ye exactly the object of your heart's desire (appeasing your god, taking power, being feared, forestalling the Nothing) ye may get that, or may not, but whatever it is ye seek, its not what the fey are after from the bargain.

These recent changes are not inevitable, the Fey have new and greater powers over nature because of things I and others did; and because they have succeeded in getting the tribute they sought. Man, or really men, get a say in what happens, according to their wisdom and ability. 

If it happens ye and the others know all that, and rather don't really care, well. That strikes me as in-human, but in the bad way.

-Rin of Oldflowers

P.S. Letters take time and patience; thinking and understanding, sharing and consideration. They don't really involve much doing. Reckon that could tell ye something good and bad perhaps about those that like them and those that don't.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 08:28:57 PM by merrychase »