Author Topic: [A missive for Vaust simply titled 'Battlemage for Hire?']  (Read 204 times)

Runic

• View Profile
[A letter, prim and proper, left with the bartender of Towertop for Vincent Vaust.]

Mister Vaust.

I have sent word with Miss Grace, but I felt I should write to you too. I hope you are faring well.
We follow in your steps, finding our way into the sixties. We have encountered an issue, and now find ourselves one set of hands short.
For many tasks this would not be an issue, but the Mountain looms.

In the past you have often declared your services for sale, and so I'll ask you plainly ... What price would you ask to fill our vacant spot when we go to venture across the Mountain?
If the price is decent, I may even debase myself and pet Zak ...
If you wish to write back, or to visit, I'm staying in the sixty-eighth currently.

Signed, your pal,
Jeremiah 'Boots' Goldboots

Eraamion

• View Profile
on: September 14, 2022, 10:07:29 PM
Deep, deep in the rings, a man sits cross-legged near a shallow pool of water, his attention turned toward miniature tadpoles swimming in it. His human associates, sleeping in the merciful gloom of the makeshift tents. The man's head is shielded from the deadly sun by a black hood and by the ancient walls towering around him.

A docile creature steps into view and passes the letter to him. He looks up, revealing eyes that have lost much of their erstwhile humanity, speckled with motes of chaos and criss-crossed with ice-blue veins.

He reads the letter. He smiles.

A response travels through swirling pathways and half-formed realms until it reaches Towertop and from there, through mundane means, it eventually reaches the intended recipient.

Quote from: Vincent Vaust
My dear Boots,

Yes, I am available for hire. My price is the Wayfarers' collective participation in an experiment. While the experiment entails risks including one of death, it should also substantially augment your battle abilities, improving your survival chances in the trials to come and making you eminently employable as elite mercenaries-- not to mention my ensuing direct assistance.

Do indicate your interest and I will call for you upon my return from Baz'eel to discuss the details.

--VV

Frost begins enveloping the letter as it is being read; the process accelerates until thick rime covers all of it, making the contents illegible, fragilizing the parchment to the degree that a simple whiff of a touch causes it to crumble.

Runic

• View Profile
on: September 20, 2022, 12:21:41 AM
[Another letter, embossed on fine paper, and sealed with a legal stamp denoting the Law Offices of Bingham and Cha-Cha. It is delivered by Veteran Ringrunners to the Towertop in the 93rd.]

Mister Vaust,

I am writing on behalf of one of our clients, the Valiants of Vunco. Specifically, their clerk; a Mister Jeremiah Goldboots. Mister Goldboots is currently out of Ring, and will not be returning past the 93rd at any point soon. Further correspondence is to be sent to the 68th ring.

Our clients have discussed your proposition, and agree that perhaps groat might be a more agreeable method of payment than vague experiments unless you can provide an outlined and detailed plan of action for the aforementioned experiments.

If you can come to a reasonable sum or provide the aforementioned details, our clients will review and get back to you.

Eldrin Bingham
Co-Founder of the Law Offices of Bingham and Cha-Cha

Eraamion

• View Profile
on: September 21, 2022, 09:49:18 PM
An annoyed rat darts across the rings with magical imprints of keystones that are ethereally linked to its master. It eventually reaches the indicated place and only in presence of the recipient does it let go of the letter, then scuttling away.

Mister Bingham,

My price for the blueprints of demislaad production is 120,000 groats. The price will increase as further testing leads to higher effectiveness of the method.

I encourage your clients to reconsider the original proposal.

--VV

Frost begins enveloping the letter as it is being read; the process accelerates until thick rime covers all of it, making the contents illegible, fragilizing the parchment to the degree that a simple whiff of a touch causes it to crumble.

Runic

• View Profile
on: September 22, 2022, 09:51:33 PM
[A letter. The paper looks recently bought, but decent enough. It arrives from the 68th ring by means of a Veteran Ringrunner, delivered to Baz'eel.]

Mister Vaust,

Thank you for responding so quickly to my missive.

I  fear my hired lawmen might've gotten confused with the wording, but I pay them for services outside of that purview.

In your original missive you offered to aid us in the 64th if we agreed to aid in some experiment. Would groat be amenable for that task instead of this experiment?  And would that groat total the 120, 000 groat you quoted in your recent missive?

I don't seek any slaad blueprints.

Your pal,
Jeremiah Goldboots

Eraamion

• View Profile
on: September 23, 2022, 07:04:12 AM
A reply comes back through the (un)usual channels.

My dear Boots,

As a battlemage of the Royal Deep Caravan Trading Company I am not in capacity to undertake further paid employments for the time being. However, since one of my tasks is to augment humans and associated races toward improved performance in battle, I can subsume my aid to you under this mandate. Accept to have your battle capabilities enhanced and then I will see the survivors safely through, seeing also to their employment.

Your associates asked for detailed explanations behind the augments, which is why I offered you the demislaad (not slaad) blueprints for sale.

--VV

Runic

• View Profile
on: September 25, 2022, 08:40:14 PM
[A new letter on parchment freshly bought. The handwriting is similar, but there is something to it that just doesn't sit right.]

Mister Vaust,

I shall write on behalf of the one you know as 'Boots'.

When Sahtqi of Orza asked for blood it was refused. When Igor of Moonspear asked for blood it was refused. I am afraid that neither body or mind of the boy are for sale. For their experiments or yours. If groat will not suffice your service, and if we are not capable, then I will have failed in my task to cross the mountain.

The boy may write you again, to express some simpering whims of companionship, but his ear will always be mine. And he will listen.

Regards.

[There is no signature, just a dash of ink, as if censored.]