Add a merchant stall to the Steadings

Started by Pandip, October 08, 2022, 02:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pandip

This feels like a simple thing to implement that might make the area more traveled and used.

cmenden

Yes! imo we should have one in every zone, but this is a good place to start

Bacon_Cheese_Burger

I agree. Also a small rural inn would be very cool to have in the steadings.

Diabl0658

Quote from: Bacon_Cheese_Burger on October 13, 2022, 11:49:11 PM
I agree. Also a small rural inn would be very cool to have in the steadings.
I have good news for you! Check out the inn called "The Blind Eye", just past the steadings

KaedweniKnight

Draugir

Quote from: KaedweniKnight on October 14, 2022, 04:17:38 AM
Peasant Market would be cool.

Like the one in the burgage? I fail to see why a market in the steadings would be necessary, when there is already a peasant market in the burgage. It also makes sense to unite peerage-related markets in the burgage, since medieval cities would have markets placed in a central area - so farmers and the likes would bring their goods to a central hub, where they could sell them.

I don't see why it would be necessary to add a market to the steadings. Why must every area be a place to for players to frequent? Of course people would be more interested in staying near the city - that's where people are. What exactly does the server gain by the steadings, getting a market stall?

Pandip

Quote from: Draugir on October 14, 2022, 08:22:50 PM
Quote from: KaedweniKnight on October 14, 2022, 04:17:38 AM
Peasant Market would be cool.

Like the one in the burgage? I fail to see why a market in the steadings would be necessary, when there is already a peasant market in the burgage. It also makes sense to unite peerage-related markets in the burgage, since medieval cities would have markets placed in a central area - so farmers and the likes would bring their goods to a central hub, where they could sell them.

I don't see why it would be necessary to add a market to the steadings. Why must every area be a place to for players to frequent? Of course people would be more interested in staying near the city - that's where people are. What exactly does the server gain by the steadings, getting a market stall?

I don't necessarily see why there's anything wrong with having merchant stalls in more places. I think the Steadings is a nice area that is often overlooked or run through in an effort to get to quests. It'd be nice for a change of environment to give players the opportunity to gather there.

This is also, admittedly, a self-serving request. A Steadings stall is nice for the same reason a Ponds stall is nice; people who might disagree with the houses or the establishment of Peerage can hock their wares without being surrounded by blackjacks and Peerage NPCs in exchange for a little less safety at night. I am playing a character that is fomenting anti-Peerage sentiment within the Steadings and it would be nice to have a non-evil area to gather in outside of the Ward appropriate to the concept. A stall in Steadings helps facilitate this.

And also, frankly, I can beat the shit out of retainers without worrying about 24 Burgage NPCs coming to their rescue.

Draugir

So you want to open shop in a place that isn't occuppied by the peers? Sounds to me like the ponds is your place. I suppose the steadings could have a market-stall - but when you place your stall in the ponds, you're taking a much stronger part in the roleplay which EFU actively wants its players to take parts in. Being a 'neutral' part, isn't and shouldn't be encouraged.

Ramc

Being a "Steadings" person is pretty distinct from being a "Ponds" person.

If their concept is 'fomenting anti-peer sentiment in the Steadings' and it entertains the idea of beating up peers I think your concern over them being 'neutral' is not really a concern here.

VanillaPudding

Some things are a privilege that don't need to be everywhere for the reason of "why not?".

If you want to play merchant then stick to the hub,. If not then find your own creative means or try to build it in game. I'd be more in favor of removing the stalls beyond the peerage at this point, notably since the ponds are even less protected than ever with the Sunpurse plot movement and the hefty lack of druids there.

Ramc

The shop stall display mechanic is as much a Quality of Life/UI thing for merchanting as anything. Otherwise displaying/explaining wares would be an incredible hassle. A way to set up a display without the accompanying global shop bark would probably go a way toward people setting up their own little side shops by word of mouth or bronze sending or what have you. Become the Resident Evil 4 Merchant Guy, whatever.

Like if you want people laboriously updating forums shop lists/paper placable lists or place every for sale item on the ground or something I guess they can do that too but it's just annoying when a system to display your goods exists. Stalls aren't magic after all. It's just the mechanical means fig leaf to show stuff.

NightyNightSleepTight