Lesser Abjurative Powder (Magic Disruptor)

Started by Walrus Warwagon, January 25, 2023, 08:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walrus Warwagon

Once upon a time there was grenade-like weapon named Magic Disruptor. Source of non-magical dispel. It was too good at what is was doing and received a nerf along with the name change.
Now it's called a Lesser Abjurative Powder, and is incapable of dispelling anything.
I believe it'd be great for LAP to receive a slight buff.  Middle ground between it's previous Disruptor state and current state.

Main sources of dispel:
1) Spells - self-casted. Strongest dispel type due to CL, as it should be.
2) Wands and scrolls - expensive, but easily crafted.
3) Trinkets - rare.  Some do not have a class restriction. Mostly Lesser Dispel with CL 3 and 5.
4) Lesser Abjurative Powder - often provided as a part of dedicated perk, reducing usefulness of such perk.

I believe boosting LAP to equal of CL 3 or 5 is a positive change as it will return part of the value to perks that provide these grenades, boosting their support capabilities. This change might be especially beneficial in a current state of the world, where we might soon feel an impact of a loss of many seam and explorable spawn points, reducing amount of Dispel trinkets and, possibly, gold.

I hope this change isn't hard to implement and can be achieved by some obscure value change?

Diabl0658

Magic Disruptors exist, my current PC had one infact

Walrus Warwagon

Quote from: Diabl0658 on January 25, 2023, 10:05:28 AM
Magic Disruptors exist, my current PC had one infact

It's the same thing as LAP, just with old name.

Vlaid

Probably just better to redesign them to have a higher CL but can only dispel certain spell effects such as zoo buffs and mind wards. They get a bit too intense at higher CLs when they can casually remove globes and everything else.

Then you could, if desired, have rarer types that can do the old globe removal.

Dredi

Could limit them to dispelling level 3 spells and below. I imagine that could work -- but yes. They are vastly underwhelming.

spice mage

I like Vlaid's idea here, I've tested magic disruptors quite a bit and they seem to struggle to strip even a single spell, and usually grab at best a level 1 spell. They should be more reliable, probably only remove 1-2 spells, and be limited to only a few spell levels tops

Walrus Warwagon

Sounds reasonable.
I'd also suggest to add area effects to the list. Using a grenade-like anti-magic powder to clear the magical fog? Seems appropriate.