Ascension of the Adherent by Starikova

Started by Woofersnoofer, February 16, 2023, 05:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woofersnoofer

[These papers remain unpublished.]

Abstract
This text collects written and oral lore surrounding the Adherents of Pra'Raj.

Woofersnoofer

Woofersnoofer

Divulgence of Z
Following an attempt to disseminate the findings of the previous paper to the general public, a note was located:
https://pastebin.com/embed_js/rzVLQHh2

Woofersnoofer

Shayan said that Pra'Raj is the Sun which eats our world.
This knowledge he based on raiding a Pra'Raji sanctum and reading their tomes.
This merits further study and calls for more references.

Woofersnoofer

While my current research is pending challenges and grand discoveries, it is finally time to turn my attention towards both immediate concerns and the advancement of my craft.

Research on the acquisition of potable water must be urgently hastened!

A secondary priority must be given to studies regarding the nature of the soul, and finding texts and oral lore that further illuminate the subject. My fellow students of twin gardens might be able to provide important insight, though associating with them is always -- --. One such person is  - whom I saw --, indicating -- -- --. However, the moral question remains. Further along, amiable priests or Diviners might be able to fashion tools and theories that allow the observation of the soul and any changes within. This shall form the backbone of evidence-based empirical research.

Backed by sufficient theory and implements - as well as potential assistants - it should become possible to enact further changes in the soul both through transformative acts and manipulation by arcane means. Potential research questions include measuring and quantifying the state of the soul, followed by developing an evidence-based statistical framework for measuring change in the default state of the soul after it has been exposed to any and not limited to: physical exertion, physical transformation, moral exertion, moral transformation, cognitive exertion, cognitive transformation, arcane energies, incantations, known spells, experimental formulae, substances and the consequences thereof. Further research may illuminate answers to questions regarding the nature of the soul, the relationship between the soul, the body and the mind, and the nature of Godhead and enlightenment.

Physical exhaustion is relatively easy to obtain, but actual transformation beyond natural growth is more difficult. Research into invocations that transmute the corpus and the mind has already yielded quantifiable results, but further advancement should be possible and interesting regarding its effects on the make of  the soul.

On the topic of moral transformation, it occurs to me that I know one such person who claims to be able to perceive the taint of corruption in another. Initial research questions include determining from where their ability stems, how reliable it is and whether the ability can be replicated or diversified by any known means.

Cognitive exertion and transformation are both achieved by amassing further knowledge on various topics and reflecting. It is possible that historical and archaeological research can further provide clues regarding ancient magical practices and thus feed into arcane research.  One such notion is the connection between the orb and --.

Of ancillary importance is the notion that there is a stonefolk person, called Sol Auk, who may be putting together some manner of long term expedition. This endeavor may provide opportunities for fulfilling the primary research goal (see: the acquisition of potable water). Additionally, further opportunities are present in the chance to secure the means of subsisting outside Ephia's Well and in so doing further distancing oneself from the Water Temple's yoke. I should consider carefully what I have to gain or lose in the said venture, and what I have to offer beyond the ability to read and traverse the road. Should the venture attract like-minded or otherwise capable and amiable individuals, it could be a great opportunity to cooperate with skilled tinkers, inventors or even other arcanists. It is noteworthy that survival experience gathered from guiding a caravan of this scale could be distilled into principles that allow more refugees to find their own way outside the Mother's domain. 

Woofersnoofer

Rejected the blue robes with little in the way of explanation, I am left to piece the puzzle together on my own. It is true that our core beliefs - and research - do not align and perhaps that is reason enough. It thus becomes all the more important that I seek like-minded individuals on the Great Stone Road.

At the same time, I consider my options with the branches of the Rose. However, I am not terribly fond of the drink and the joviality of jesters. Knowing all that I know about the Sister's Wine and the Well's Water, I cannot willingly imagine supplicating myself to either. The last option has a detestable reputation and I have learned a lot about their role in the war. All the same, they might have the kind of discipline and straightforwardness that I can use to further my own agenda. It is true that the refugees and I have more in common than any of the Sultan's lackeys. I have, however, precious little faith in a holy trinket that would save us in a time of need.

Were I to hold the Cup in my hands now, I wonder whether I would even allow it to spill. Life in the desert is possible, and I am coming to understand that we need hardship to thrive and reach further than we would if leading placid lives among the Mother's cattle. Perhaps the abundant bloom would free us of the Temple's yoke, but have us beholden to something else.

In that vein, I have considered my political allegiances. I have a great amount of respect for the Purple League and their staunch traditionalism. Unfortunately, it is their way that will keep us from questioning our servitude to the Sultan and the Mother, whose specter looms in the radiance in which the glorious leader bathes.

While my heart yearns for the noble ideas of the White League, I see weakness in their lack of discipline and the myriad voices with which they speak for and against each other. Perhaps theirs may still be a path that leads to growth through the trial of having to win your colleagues to your cause.

Though I care little for coin and making riches, I see in the Gold League the kind of ambition that will see them united and prepared to serve their own interests. Even as their obvious self-interest will bring strife and hardship, it will surely create opportunities for growth for those who are willing to strive to better themselves. If their united stand for independence weakens the Sultan's grip on the Well, perhaps in time they might force the Mother to show her true face for us all to behold.

It is with these thoughts that I have offered a League my support, meager as it is.

Woofersnoofer

I knew I could count on their self-interest, but I did not believe it would have consequences so soon.

Transmutation of life and the metaphysics thereof

Abstract
The school of necromancy is often seen as a field that is predominantly occupied with the forces of death and entropy. Its most notable practitioners often seek the principles of reanimation and are vilified as desecrators of the dead. However, most adepts of the art realize that necromancy - as all schools - is an incomprehensibly large field of study that deals forces of life and death alike. Indeed, even a student of life must know about death, but understanding the principles of life and its transformation has more multidisciplinary ground with the school of transmutation than full-fledged devotion to the dark magic for which most necromancers are known. At the same time, practitioners of transmutation have dark magic of their own, including their oft-feared mastery of curses.

This thesis examines the connection between necromancy and transmutation from the perspective of understanding and manipulating life, including the properties of the soul and its cycle of reincarnation. Further multidisciplinary understanding is drawn from the schools of divination and enchantment, relying on a device called -

[Haphazardly, yet still very legibly scrawled note follows]
Have I written this before?

Thesis, why?

What device? I have no tools. Must find a replacement.

Practical applications:
- Observe the state of the soul and changes upon its make on the path
- Find a path forward through arcane transfiguration, beware shortcuts

Woofersnoofer

[The last and final entry in the journal reads as follows:]

I could not conform to the society of the Well and thus shall seek my fortune elsewhere.
The dunes await.