Battlecaster Feat Suggestion

Started by SeerofLight, March 13, 2023, 06:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeerofLight

Just an idea that I had the other day, to increase the viability of playing armored casters that isnt the standard "Apply -ASF to equipment", if mages want to sacrifice one of their precious SF feats on it, I think it could be good to add a general feat that doesnt take away ASF, but functions similar to Blindfight in reverse-

Battlecaster
Prerequisites: Armor Proficiency (Light), Combat Casting
Specifics: This feat grants the character the ability to perform Arcane actions, even when armored. The character gets to re-roll its Arcane Spell Failure percentile one time to see if it actually fails to cast a spell.

Woofersnoofer

A good idea. I think the prerequisite is not necessary.
Light armor does not really compete with mage armor lots of the time.

SeerofLight

I think Combat Casting is a good prerequisite thats flavorful, and kind of a feat tax on like wizards and such who would have to choose between spending feats to cast in plate or not. And, mostly, so it doesnt show up in mages feat selections to clutter it up. Its more of a check for the list than needed, you wouldnt take this without some flavor of armor proficiency anyway. Although, if you DID take away the Light Armor Proficiency, you could sac less feats to use just a Shield instead of armor too.

Astra

I like this generally, a chance to reroll ASF is a cool concept.

This is definitely a multiclass feat, since iirc you cant take heavy armor prof without taking light and medium first. though it could be quite good for a contriver sorc...

I am kind of a multi class hater, but i just wish it would be easier to make a pure wizard in plate armor prerequisite wise for this. Not sure how you can do that without making it a no-brainer pick for a fighter/wiz or something tho...