Assorted suggestions/remarks relevant to druids

Started by Anthee, March 28, 2023, 12:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthee

- It would be great if animal companions were a bit more customised. Right now they're very much of the same mould, with a few generic "types" (tank, flanker) seemingly copy/pasted to several different animals. Same stats, same feats. Some of the skill choices aren't very realistic either, like a leopard having no ranks in Hide/MS, just the dex modifier. (In my mind, any feline is stealthier than 2/2.) Moreover, no shapeshifting (and no taming!) makes the generic animal companions just that much more important, so please please make them slightly more interesting!

- Apologies in advance if there is a solution to this I just haven't found out about yet, but since druid proficiency doesn't allow for crossbows, druids can't use grapple guns, and since there is no shapeshifting anymore, druids can't fly across chasms either. Whereas any city-dweller can just buy a grapple gun. A tad ironic. There are jump beans, sure, but those are very limited. Maybe druids could at least have Alter Self like rangers do? I've never used it but I imagine some bird is among the options. It would still be a bummer to have to use a 2nd lvl spell slot for something other characters have an infinitely reusable item for, but at least you could move about in the wilderness like you should be able to.

- This might be a stupid question, but does Survival count for anything with druids? It doesn't seem to since there is no skill check in the combat log when resting. If that is so, maybe it could be mentioned in the wiki article on druids? So a v6 noob like me wouldn't invest in a useless skill?

- This has been mentioned elsewhere already, but let me just remark that the AI "cheating" against stealthed/invis'd characters – chasing you despite not seeing you, etc. – makes life in the wilderness particularly dangerous for druids. Stealth is our lifeline. Also, are normal kobolds really supposed to spot/hear mid-20s Hide/MS from a mile away? Casters too? Maybe they are... It just seems like even low-level NPCs often have the Spot/Listen of a high-level PC. Doesn't seem entirely fair.

Thanks for reading! Despite the griping above, I'm still enjoying v6 so far – great job with the setting!
Sofia d'Andrea

Woofersnoofer

Animal companions
I would be happy to see more options for a companion-focused druid build with the introduction of druid perks (to be announced).

Druids charisma buffing the companions sounded like a good suggestion as well, and of course more pet options is good if possible.
Some documentation might be helpful so that druids can best choose a companion that complements their playstyle.

Grapple sling
In v5, druids had access to a special grapple sling to replace the gun.
Maybe this could be added to the hermit merchant who sells medicine?

Survival
Druids may not need Survival to rest, but it can still be a good RP skill that can come up in events - not entirely useless.

Actually not sure if the check is missing or simply not being broadcast.

AI vs stealth
Might be unlikely to see a change here, but it's been noted before.
AI vs stealth could be seen as a feature of the server.

Trying to stealth around enemies can be very dangerous at times.

TheShadow

It has been mentioned that Druid perks are on the way,  which may address some issues such as Animal Companion QOL. I cannot comment further!
Forever in the Shadows, yearning for the Light.

Anthee

Thanks for the comments! Info and insight much appreciated.

I want to reply to only one thing: At least in v5, you'd get a notice in the combat log if you managed to rest in the wilderness thanks to Survival (or Wilderness Survival, as I think it was called back then as a secondary skill). Haven't tried yet resting in the wilderness with a non-druid character in v6. And sure, there are all kinds of borderline useless choices you can make for the sake of mere roleplay if you like, but that should be the result of an informed decision and not lack of documentation.
Sofia d'Andrea