Sergeant Rennik Colmes. c/o Sergeant Medur Adaken

Started by Stranger, May 27, 2023, 07:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stranger

Rennik,

I've consulted with Zenithar Gaius Abael, one of our calmest and wisest archmages, going over my actions in contrite detail. He has concluded that the charges against me are "absurd," that the declared components of your plan are a "short-sighted" folly that places you as the catspaw of Sol Auk (who is himself decidedly toxic to the interests of the Sultan), and that he does not look forward to the "particularly tedious interruption to academia" that will arise if you continue to advance (intentionally or not) that Stonefolk's naked thirst to foment civil war. You should be more wary than you are of finding yourself on his side in this, even if it is what you say: a self-driven initiative.

For my part, I continue to reckon with myself.

I have found myself particularly haunted by the battle. When my colleague, Apothar Azimi, returned to her body, she screamed at me about how it was all my fault, yelling about how Lojir and Pirouette were never coming back, because I didn't join them, because I wasn't there. I know that there was nothing I could do. I know that I was prevented from pursuing her. But I know that it was traumatic experience. Their souls suffered the touch of unspeakable horror, and where was I to protect them? Worse still, I have begun to learn sickening things about the fate of my apprentice, twisting the knife of regret. I do not know why they did not tell me sooner. I do not know if it would be better if they did.

Wearing me down in a different way, some in this Tower vocally believe that I was wasting my time trying to rebuild the Purple League, that I was naive to think that its Voices would ever truly accept an Astronomer of Q'tolip as one of them, let alone as their candidate. It is true that I found Crown Princess Faziima to be an inspiring presence, welcoming, gracious even, that it was Apothars of all possible people who were invited to the coveted privilege of the Ecstatic Terrace. However, it is equally true that Rashid al-Rashid is far from an exception in the Purple electorate, that there are many who dream of a world without us, or who have already decided that reconciliation is impossible.

And it remains true that, beneath my outrage at perceived treachery, I do want more vigilance in matters of djinn. It is such an emotionally confused thing to be attacked on the very ground I normally advocate for. Of course, it is preposterous to be charged with treason on such a thing. Of course, there is no proven harm or risk. But of course, why shouldn't we want to be extra sure, just in case? If you had come upon it with another tactic, an explicit demand rather than a politicized trap, I would have been in your corner. Even now, I find myself stressed over fighting a cautionary premise, but my only alternative seems to be to allow a corrupt logic to prevail over the rule of law. It unbecomes a servant of Izdu to leave a tainted jurisprudence unchallenged.

Reflecting on our conversation, I find myself parroting your own words. Are you really going to judge these individuals on what they might do? You had a pact-marked brooker in your hands and you let him walk. Meanwhile, there's no direct proof at all that any of these targets have been corrupted, but you are still going after them. Because they might win the election? And might do something untoward with their position? Is there justice is that? Could you look the Wroth in the eye and say that your actions were righteous?

There is already someone misusing the title of Legate to hurt Ephia's Well.

And if you have your way, there will be even less to stop him.

Regardless of what you choose to do, my attention in the near future will be preoccupied by my work as an Astronomer. There is a Great Storm currently passing near the Rampart Nusrum and it needs to be monitored closely; it is unlikely to diverge toward Ephia's Well, but there is no reason to take chances with that. Let us hope it doesn't spur the Thousand Clans to do anything foolish.

M.v.