[Isabella Fitzgerald (de Veend); The Mourning Mother]

Started by Empress of Neon, June 14, 2023, 07:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Empress of Neon

A long time ago, a champion of the Peerage Ward made a whisper following the defeat of a great evil.

[hide]Synia Winespill:

"Overly bold, brave, and ever lacking wisdom. You'll be missed Meryl, even if ever a pain in my side. Your mother will know of your bravery and how you destroyed a lich this day."[/hide]

And she would.

I saw a unique opportunity with this chapter's transition that I haven't in previous efu chapters. Mostly because I've missed those major transitions. That was to explore the story of something we don't often get a chance to look at every time a pc (especially a younger one) gets killed.

The family they left behind.

For those of you who don't know, Isabella was the mother of Meryl Fitzgerald. The PC I was most proud of/attached to in V5. She was originally part of a dual concept (mourning parents in life after the Ringfall) with Ellanher de Veend who, unfortunately, had to duck out from the story early due to irl circumstances (you're missed!). I originally planned to have her at it as a regular politician in Ephia's Well (and to some extent she was), but tl;dr had her finding more success as a trader/merchant than anything else. So that's what she developed into, mixing her serviceable fortunes with politics, faith and life.

I originally designed her as a non-combatant, which made most of her roles revolve around supporting others. Be it financially, through goods or simply honoring  B'aara's tenants as a healer. Her main hobbies were mainly from her peerage upbringing; poetry and painting the most obvious.

What made Isabella's story different/special to me was her attachment to her daughter, and how I used my own attachment to that particular PC (as her creator) to get a sensation of what it'd be like trying to go on in life after losing your child. I don't recommend it. I was sobbing and crying very often irl getting into that mindset and wouldn't wish it on anyone. Still glad I got to explore it though. It helped breath in some humanity into my roleplay that was felt like it was just straight up missing in chapter 5.

Her motives/background were simple and built off the tragedies of V5, the spirituality of The Wheel (especially with her likeness to Mother B'aara), finding a sense of purpose in living and her love for her family. If you want the full story, know it's long but informative and an excellent reference for people (particularly new players who want to play as refugees of the Old City) who want to get an idea of what day-to-day life was like in The City of Rings.

[V5 Research/Historical Insight here]

https://www.efupw.com/forums/index.php?topic=706993.0

I'm not sorry to see her story end. Even as I weep, there's peace and closure in seeing her suffering finally come  with an end to her road. Even if she didn't get to make any significant impact on the story/setting or achieve anything of note, it was still worthwhile getting to interact with all the different PCs who made her last months in life as eventful as they were.

Now that she's dead, I can safely say that the starting area with that tear-inducingly beautiful music was the perfect theme for the mourning mother of Ephia's Well. Seriously, every time I wanted to quit from the depressive mindset or sense of meaninglessness, that single track got me through (I kept visiting B'aara's temple for a reason, people!). I would love if it someone gave me the name of that music.

And now, some screenshots. This is my first legit orbituary, so mind any misteps/anything missing from this list.

[Ten years later, momma learns how to thonk!]
[hide]

[/hide]

[Exploring!]
[hide]

[/hide]

[Ephira's Well and the FIRST WAVE]
[hide]

[/hide]

[Politics in Ephia's Well]

[hide]

[/hide]

[Friends and Family]
[hide]

[/hide]

[Comedic Relief]
[hide]

[/hide]

[The Mourning Mother]

[hide]

[/hide]

[The Mourning Parents]
[hide][/hide]

[Isabella's Greatest Loot]
[hide][/hide]

[Isabella's Greatest Achievement]

[hide][/hide]

[Isabella's Lost Art Gallery]
[hide]
Quote~Home and Hearth; The Steadings~
Quote~The Peerage Ward~
Quote~(Isabella's) Mother in Mourning~
Quote~The Golden Years of Ticker Square~
Quote~The Monster; Man~
Quote~A Daughter Mourning~
Quote~The Sacking of Ticker Square~
Quote~Return to the Peerage; A Daughter's Wroth~
Quote~The Ziggurat of Ishmenka Blacksmile~
Quote~A Mother's Loss; A World Without Hers~
Quote~The Wanderer's Road; Life After Death~
Quote~The Promise of The Wheel~
Quote~Streets of Ephia's Well~
Quote~The Garden to Be; A Mother's Love~
[/hide]

[Isabella's Most Prized Paintings]
[hide]
Quote~Edha's Gift; What can Never Be Again~
Quote~The Daughter, Forever Loved~
[/hide]

And now a final farewell to Isabella Fitzgerald as we send her off to rest with her daughter, courtesy of Otto Swanson from Chapter 5.

[hide]
QuoteLive bright, die beautiful.

No lies to blind, no masks to hide the beauty inside.

Live bright, die beautiful.

Never yield, to other's deigns, to yourself, be leal.

Life and soul true, never being anyone but you.

By your heart, even in the pitch of dark.

The life of brief, in death, you go, real and free.
[/hide]

Anthee

R.I.P. Isabella  :'(

I can't say I'm exactly surprised – the signs were in the air... – but still, this came sooner than I expected :(

I'll be forever grateful to you, Eon, for bringing together the most fantastic group of players I've ever had the pleasure of RPing with. And bantering with on Discord (way too much, really!). Thank you also for Soliana's portrait, which is just perfect <3

You created and steered a player faction that, despite its relatively minor impact on the setting, was fertile ground for a lot of terrific roleplay. We laughed, we cried, and most of all, we had fun. Hopefully, we also gave at least a little bit of inspiration for the few good characters trying to shine a light in the dark. It's not easy in EfU, never has been...

I've no idea yet what will happen to us remaining Oathseekers but I do know that our stories are not over yet. Isabella's legacy will live on.

Her story, including her journal and paintings and poems, shows very well that meaningful and impactful roleplay does not have to involve grand plots or constant power struggles. It can spring from just a well thought-out backstory and deep, emotional, long-lasting relationships with other characters.
Sofia d'Andrea

Karwelas

"Isabella, Isabella, Isabella. A curious person among the Sands. So many mask and just one face. Rest in peace." - Zvada, probably.

I really adored our moments together, as Isabella was really complicated character. I did not get to experience her in early days, but I still like to think that on our first talk, I got to see her core, hidden beneath all the masks and intentions. She was played as really multifaceted person and it was very impressed to see her like that.

I also would like to thank you for keeping the player faction - Oathseekers, as you mentioned previously, were not a big, chapter shattering group, but nonetheless they were an important group, at least in my mind!

And I have to say that Isabella as character helped me to feel the notes that I adore EFU for. I can't wait what you will plan next, Empress. Great work, carry on!
Current character: Ealdred Emberheart, the burned hin.

Don Nadie

She was a messy lady, and a lot of fun. She'll be missed... But her story will live on!

Random_White_Guy

The White League Debates were such an iconic part of early v6 which set a lot of tone for a lot of PCs. And from there just wilded out!
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

cmenden

A truly tragic figure! I can't even imagine how you pulled that off for so long, because I can only imagine how emotionally taxing that would be, but def one of the iconic start of chapter PCs and things won't be the same without her around

-UnholyWon-

I had a strange feeling Isabella would join the deceased while I was far away from playing Petro. Isabella was truly a heart breaking character, and Petro had a very special relationship with her, even going so far as to keep Petro in the dark about everything. She was incredibly caring and compassionate towards others, and was likely killed by some horrifying monster.

An amazing character that I got the chance to interact with on several occasions. I hope in the future I will get to interact with your future characters as well. Cheers!

UnholyWon
Discord - Howlando: UnholyWon, an Elder Thing that has crawled from the depths of Chapter 1, many a nature-pc and adventurer played in the past... a rare sighting IG in recent chapters, but perhaps less rare than we realize. Beware his professional insight into the minds of the mentally disturbed.

zerotje

I love it when characters come across as very realistic and human and I felt more immersed with the setting with every interaction I had with Isabella, props

Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi

Long conversations and an exceptionally well-detailed backstory made for a lot of interesting character development. Well done!