Shield Other: Duration

Started by Dredi, July 06, 2023, 09:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dredi

Present position:
Shield other duration is 2 rounds / level, upped to 3 rounds per level if you have either protection domain or GSF Abjuration.

My thoughts trying to use it (at relatively low levels):
Given this is a 3rd level spell slot for clerics (2nd for paladins and Astro) this is a really short duration for the spell. At level 6 you get a little over a minute which wont last for most than a single early game encounter within a QA such as Ghuuls in the gutters.

I understand that there may be concerns surrouding balance for the spell which is why it was reduced from its original duration of Hour/Level to its current place, but as an already fairly niche spell I feel this change has perhaps gone too far to the point the spell is simply not a viable use of resources.

Would we be willing to consider a slight increase to the duration of the spell? - Something like Turn / 2 Levels would increase the duration by a little over double of its base but you would still need to dedicate either feats into extend spell (and higher level spell slots that come with it), GSF Abjuration or Protection Domain - or multiple castings to keep a single vulnerable or risk taking target safer which feels like a fairer reward for the investment.

If there is concerns over it being a form of crit immunity or making it too difficult to kill a single target you could also look at it from another direction, perhaps capping the maximum damage that can be redirected or the percentage of damage which is redirected might be another way to reduce the spells impact without breaking things.

If there is perhaps felt to be too little risk to the person casting the spell (since they can go off and stand in a corner, self healing as long as its in the same zone) perhaps requiring them to be within a certain range of each other might be another avenue.

What is the consensus on this one?

Abala

I  already changed this to 5 rounds per level

Dredi