Swap Uncanny Dodge and Mobility on Swashbuckler

Started by Haroshia, July 06, 2023, 08:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haroshia

Mobility and improved initiative are basically wasted feats in most cases for a class that has tumble as a class skill, but mobility at least could be useful at lower levels before you have high enough tumble to avoid AOOs.
Putting it at 5 would allow qualification for Spring Attack at 6 and  Whirlwind Attack at 9.  I think it fits for thematically for the class to have easier access to something like Whirlwind Attack, and it has an opportunity cost of not being able to pick up improved critical at 9 so it's not particularly imbalanced. 

Clarification Edit:  By "Swap" I mean move mobility to level 5, and Uncanny Dodge to level 7, not get rid of Uncanny Dodge entirely.  Again this is just to make taking Whirlwind Attack an option on the class and make Mobility seem like less of a wasted feat. 

VanillaPudding

Haroshia

Quote from: VanillaPudding on July 06, 2023, 10:50:51 PM
you don't want them to lose uncanny dodge.

I wasn't saying that.  Sorry if I was unclear.  I meant swapping what levels you get them on, so you get Mobility at 5 and Uncanny Dodge at 7. 

Dredi

I'd say absolutely not. Uncanny dodge is one of those feats which is incredibly valuable and you dont know how much until you dont have it.

Uncanny dodge was already moved down from 7 or 8 previously because of how much of an impact it was causing.

I cant comment on Mobilitys position seperately, just..probably best not dooming Uncanny dodge for it.

Haroshia

Well then perhaps just move Mobility to 6 so they can also take Spring Attack at 6 if that works?  I was trying to suggest things in a way that would err on the side of caution for balance issues.  Either way the idea is to make it feel less like the Swashbuckler gets wasted feats by giving them the ability to qualify for Whirlwind Attack if they build for it.