[A letter to Legate Marcellus]

Started by cmenden, August 24, 2023, 04:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmenden

Dear Legate Marcellus,

The Janissaries are attempting to value the Rod that Naelin and Cosine argued over well into Capital crime sums. They also seem to be considering it as having been "stolen" by Sephidra when she took it from Cosine.

Regardless of whether you decide to heed my counsel with regards to banning Accorded Magistrates, you should ensure you are present when the Magistrates bring this case to trial, or it could end extremely poorly.

Already rumors fly about Magistrates and your Co-Legate having sold a predetermined result. I do not wish to see this end the way that Velan did.

Regards,
Estellise Azimi

WriterX

Apothar Azimi,

This is so highly dubious, I do not know even where to begin. After discussing the matter with Apothar Stern however we reached a joint conclusion that most likely the idea of the Seal, if such ever existed, was not real.

This is because of the information I gathered from Stern, and we went through a careful analysis of events. Primarily among which, the Beast that now stalks the Gutters appeared, as far as I was informed, before the Vault was ever opened. The Lift was used most likely for decades by the Orentids, Zarat, and whomever came inbetween. To say it was the fault of the Torchbearers or yourselves for the Beast appearing would be a fallacy. But, it is possible that upon seeing a larger group, or any people at all, the beast decided to head to the upper levels, to hunt.

The tremors are worrying, but it suggests that the machine is working on some processes, perhaps generating additional keys, or replenishing itself.

I will discuss more of these details with you at a later time, and I hope to make a joint meeting with everybody involved, to gain some of the answers we really need. Clarity, after all, may present us with a clearer line.

As an example, the beast that we hunted yesterday seems far more intelligent than most assume, and it is capable of easily scaling surfaces that most other beings seem unable to. It may be that after the group escaped the Beast still used the walls or ceiling to follow the lift up, and then, by stalking whomever came next, followed them even higher, finding a path to the "surface".   

The beast is capable of very skillful stalking, I would not be surprised if none were capable of spotting it as it followed them out.

But yes, much to discuss.

Legate Marcellus Saenus

cmenden

Dear Legate Marcellus,

I'm uncertain what's dubious about it. The Legion has put people to death on charges just as flimsy.

All these other details are known to me. I already explained the lack of a seal and the fact that the Tormented were present in Layer 3 from the start, having been seen in the first expedition I took with the Torchbearers months ago.

Also, at least one statue in the Pyramid came from Layer 3 and had a plaque to that effect, indicating that Apothar Cassandra was making trips down there before I even came to the Well this year.

I do welcome a full discussion. In any case, it should help all those involved get on the same page. Do not wait too long, however.

Regards,
Estellise Azimi