Sergeant Radislav Ludovich

Started by Stranger, September 10, 2023, 05:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stranger

One of our Ashfolk insisted on clarifying the exact terms of the document we filed for the Zenithar's satisfaction. Rather than put you through the ordeal of another lengthy, meticulous scribing session, I ordered him to prepare the final contract himself, and have attached it to this letter.

Quote from: Immunity ContractSolemnly agreed before the eyes of the Wroth, the Janissaries of the Fourth Legion formally grant immunity and protection to the Astronomers of Q'tolip against any form of legal procedure, punishment, or prosecution, against any extralegal retribution, and against any form of libel or slander, regarding to the following concerns:

• All events that transpired during the Qdim 19th Incident, as well as any similar expeditions into the depths below Ephia's Well (such as the upcoming joint expeditions of the Astronomers and Janissaries).

• All events that pertain to the research, construction, targeting, and activation of the magical artillery commissioned by the government of Ephia's Well (such as "the Gravity Slingshot" ordered by Legate Marcellus Saenus).

This immunity is conditional and predicated on the Astronomers of Q'tolip being a primary participant in the neutralization, destruction, capture, or containment of a terrible threat which currently plagues Ephia's Well, colloquially known as "the Gutter Beast," or as "the Tormented," or as a "Devil of Thirst." Upon the success of an operation against this creature, the conditions of this contract will come into effect.

This should match up with the particular boundaries of the agreement you sought to make with us.

Sign, keep a copy of your records, and send it back to us.

Apothar Mevura

caesaropapist

Append "continued retention and imprisonment" and you have my formal agreement.
I don't want Oro getting cute and threatening to release it. I hope this isn't a deal breaker.

Sergeant Ludovich

Stranger

It's a tricky topic. We have estimated a non-zero chance of some lunatic trying to break the monster out of its prison, and while we will do everything we can to prevent this and to recapture the thing if it gets loose, we do not want this agreement to void because the Bashmu-kar threw themselves into another terrorist attack.

For your particular item of concern, I suggest instead that you view any such threat as an opportunity to threaten in kind to retaliate with novel legal action (unrelated to the contract's two parameters). Withdrawing our support from the Accord is one thing and within our rights, but intentionally releasing a horror upon Ephia's Well would be a heinous crime and surely grounds for new, different prosecution.

Mv

caesaropapist

Fine. I'd rather we finish this shit rather than drag our feet on legalese.

[A copy of the document is returned, signed with...]
Sgt. Radislav Ludovich
First Patrol Company