A quick letter to the Tower [Cosine]

Started by Don Nadie, September 22, 2023, 12:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Nadie

Dear Cosine,

I trust you are well, and considering what I proposed of resting from time to time. I truly think it'd do you wonders... And I speak from experience! I think my ability to work has improved endlessly since I decided to set time aside to, for instance, gossip with Bashir.

I write to offer a little clarification regarding your report: Narwen has never interacted telepathically with the Beast. What you saw was her listening to its heartbeat. This is just something Children of the Gift can do - in fact, the event you describe took place just after Ihsla and Narwen spoke, with myself and others present, about the difference between the heartbeat of Qa'immi soldiers and the heartbeat of the Tormented, or of living creatures. All she did at the Tower was listening, with her ears.

Other strange abilities posessed by the Children of the Gift which you should not confuse with psychic magics include synesthesia (particularly, colors as smell) and the ability to "hear" the "song" of things (no, I do not understand what that one exactly means, either). These all are phenomenon which existed long before any craniumwhatchamacallit fluid was drunk or injected. You yourself saw, for instance, her interaction in the Al'Pesh layer.

I hope this help assuage some of your fears. I know you have many concerns, so lifting a small burden is always a pleasure.

Yours,

Alejandro

Stranger

I did not observe Narwen doing anything in particular. Several individuals have come forward to report how, after the fact, the elf publicly discussed her interaction with the Beast and that she expressed an alarming amount of sympathy to the creature's suffering. The corroborated description of her interaction went far beyond its "heartbeat;" she spoke of how it was begging for help and how she desired to save it with her song.

We believe she engaged in psychic communication with the entity.

It is apparent to me that you are participating in a lie of omission.

M.va

Don Nadie

Dear Cosine,

You should speak with Ihsla, too. The elves of the Gift hear a lot more from a heartbeat at a distance than you and I ever could pressing our ears to someone's chest.

As for her empathy... That is, precisely, their gift. I will not speak ill of a colleague because she can see, where you and I see a monster, something in pain who just wants to rest.

Do not turn something beautiful into a crime, just because you do not understand it, my friend. Nor assume the worst from those who engage you. Therein lies unhappiness and pain.

I still hope the information helps calm you down.

Yours,

Alejandro

Don Nadie

My dearest Cosine,

A thousand dinari per lesson will be an acceptable price, I believe. Each lesson will take a maximum of two hours - else I will have my day entirely spent!

We shall begin with basic rules of composition, namely the purpose of rhyme and how to count sillables. It is my opinion that the best format to apologize to the Sisterhood is the iambic heptameter, which thankfully for you involves a little bit of mathematics. I am sure you shall enjoy it, though I do not expect we'll get to it till the second or third class.

The lessons will take place in the Gardens of the Sandstone College. I shall expect the payment to be delivered at the beginning of each lesson.

Let me know what times suit you, my dear Student,

Yours,

Alejandro