Feodore Dustwink, Gloomologist and Trading Card Entrepreneur

Started by ZDavidMan, October 10, 2023, 02:23:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZDavidMan

Feodore Dustwink is gone now.

The entire purpose of this PC was, ironically, to make Glooms less gamey OOC by gamifying them IC. I wanted to make them a more lived-in part of the world that people could acknowledge more openly instead of feeling like they only had the agency to witness and acknowledge their existence on quests. I also wanted to take a very obscure feature in the world and sink my teeth into it. And I wanted to do it in one of the silliest ways possible.

The Gloomcard tangent didn't really evolve until a few weeks later when I got bored, and it started off as a joke. It always was kind of a joke, but the joke meant a lot to me. It was stupid fun to walk around the Well, selling people on the idea of the cards, describing their nonsense special abilities, and just existing. But most importantly of all: to show everyone that LEARNING CAN BE FUN

Feodore's ultimate goal was not purely to weaponize the Glooms, but to transform the Gloomcards into magical artifacts with the ability to summon guardians to defend their users. Yes this was basically Yu-Gi-Oh. No I'm not ashamed of it. In the end, he got very close to realizing his dreams, but those aspirations didn't culminate in time before unexpected events unfolded. But hopefully the story left a mark. And always remember, most importantly of all:

There's no such thing as a late Gloomer...

SOME SCREENIES

THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN

CONFUSING POLITICAL INTERLUDE

THE OCCASIONAL TROUBLEMAKER...

CRITICS SAY THE FIRST GLOOMOLOGY WORKSHOP IS "VERY GOOD!"

THE GLOOMCARD CRAZE CATCHES ON

GLOOMCARD DUELING IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART

THAT LICENSE?

EMPOWERED INTERVIEW PREP

THE ONLY LOOT THAT MATTERS

Of course, there were many more types Gloomcards in circulation than these. Tragically, a new card would never be printed again. Like he always said: they're limited edition. Will you be able to find them all?

Moonlighter

cmenden

Mari

The trading card scene is that much less for his absence. Great guy.

Zickery

Don Nadie

He will be sorely missed. I do hope some entrepeneur appropriates the Gloomcards...

yaaaaay

I was just waiting for Dustwink to reveal gloom-mining that hijacks spellcasters' heads to produce gloomcoins.

Karwelas

Current character: Ealdred Emberheart, the burned hin.

CoffeeBean

I once walked into the Tower and saw Dustwink partially phased into the floor-- I knew then that he was a great character that I would adore.

And I was correct.

Runic

Dustwink was such chaotic energy and the vibes were so good. I loved being assigned to be the Jiminy Cricket on his shoulder telling him to not overdose </3

Great PC

Stranger