DM Appreciation Day - Halfbrood

Started by Howlando, October 18, 2023, 10:17:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howlando

Dear Players,

I'm pleased to announce that October 18, from the this day forward, is an official holiday in EFU: it is, in fact, Halfbrood appreciation day. Most of you probably know DM Halfbrood a bit from his industrious DM'ing (at least, EU players!). But I bet you don't know him as well as I do.

Who is DM Halfbrood? DM Halfbrood joined EFU relatively early on in Chapter 1, which was a distressingly long time ago. How he found us I have no idea. I believe he frequently played then under the moniker "DrUNk AnD DiSsoRderLy," which was often an accurate description of his mental state. Even more accurate was his other account name: "ISmokeAFattyAndThrowRocksAtTheCats." Nevertheless, he had the knack and played memorable Spellguard and Society PCs.

One common early legend about Halfbrood is that he is a secret brother of another famous EFU personality, Dangerous Dan. This was believed by the player-base at the time, but (I believe) has never been truly confirmed or denied. There are even whispered myths of an IRC dare that resulted in an EFU-related tattoo that found its way onto a butt-cheek, but who can truly say if there is any truth to these preposterous notions? I may have seen photographic evidence, but who can really trust my old memory?

DM Halfbrood was inducted on April 2, 2011 which would have been sometime in EFUA, our second chapter. He swiftly proved himself to be an indifferent and lazy DM, which didn't really surprise anyone. However, by the standards of the time, he was refreshingly drama-free. Drama-free DM'ing is worth every penny, believe me.

DM Halfbrood enjoyed finding small corners of the server to make his own, developing his taste for oddity and amusement in a highly characteristic manner that was specific to his deranged personality.

These small seeds for the grotesque blossomed into increasingly impressive and reliable DM'ing as the months and years rolled on. He became one of the Great Order DMs of EFU:A/M. The Numinous Order was one of the most successful and memorable factions of EFU:A/M, an EFU original that gave huge shape to the themes, plots, events, and feeling of those early chapters.

His appreciation for the vibes and feeling of EFU lore was always there, and he was often in cahoots with his brother-from-another-mother Dangerous-Dan. The two enjoyed their late night ramblings, scribbling upon google docs and proffering up their ideas together as prophets and madmen. Many of these ideas found their way into the most foundational and significant aspects of EFU lore, some were tragically consigned to the dust bin by their tasteless colleagues.

DM Halfbrood was established as a TOP DM from these and countless other contributions, but I think his truly great second act probably arrived sometime in mid EFU v5: City of Rings. Halfbrood had always been an inventive toolset tinkerer, but it was sometime around then that he started to build in earnest. Outstanding and mechanically challenging brutal quests followed, deep ring adventures that fulfilled the chapter's desperate need for more original high-level questing content. Halfbrood rapidly become a master builder.

It was in one of those building sprees that Halfbrood had one of those truly great moments of genius. Busy arranging to placeables to construct enormous roadways laid out across desert expanses, Halfbrood had a thought. "Giants," he pondered. "Are really cool."

This moment of GIANT ENTHUSIASM, along with other similar deep thoughts from other DMs, was one of the absolute key moments that led to the slow gears of EFU Development to settle in working towards a desert-oriented chapter that would HUGELY develop existing EFU lore and themes regarding GIANTS which are, indeed, really cool.

Halfbrood played a truly GIGANTIC role in v6 building, busily churning out more areas than anyone and becoming one of the great legends of EFU Development. He continues to kick huge amounts of ass, a titan of the EU time-zone who probably DMs for more players than anyone and has for quite a long time. He is always in the trenches, sniffing out what to get fixed, working away to make sure EFU is healthy on every level. He really deserves a lot of credit, and I hope players will take a moment to thank him here or in Discord. This place could not possibly exist without him.

Astra

yay for halfbrood!

it's hard to tell playerwise who built what area, but i have been so thoroughly impressed by the toolset design ive seen, as well as the worldbuilding, lore, and atmosphere of v6. you can really tell that it was a labor of love. i like it a lot, and i also really enjoy halfbroods dming when i get to see him do his thing!

and it is true. giants ARE really cool

Don Nadie

The giants ARE incredibly cool. Seeing that giant road in chapter 5 was, probably, one of the coolest moments I had on chapter 5.

Thanks for everything!

KreShar

Lannister

Stellar job with EFU! Thank you for making something that has continued to be a continuous source of great enjoyment. I really hope you understand how much I appreciate the work that is put into EFU.

Thank you Halfbrood for all the great times that we've had and those to come.

Styngraven

Thanks for making a game that always has me coming back. I always drifted from server to server unsatisfied but the hidden bits of lore, roleplaying, factions, intrigue, all of these things have latched me onto this world in particular.

LoveLess

Halfbrood plays a huge part of what makes EFU unique for me.

Hilarious as a player and always willing to invite someone new along, super friendly. Helped me understand a lot more about EFU and was easily one of the kindest people to not just me when I was still new.

Incredibly inventive and regularly makes the game feel fresh with the content he creates. I am always excited to hear he's working on something and has never disappointed in the delivery.

Thank you Halfbrood, for everything you have done, and will eventually do.

Walrus Warwagon

Troll and goblin, in a fun sense.
Your playing and DMing are always resulting in joy.
Thank you.

Runic

Happy Halfbrood Day, to all who celebrate :)

But seriously, thank you to Halfbrood and all of the DM team for their work

Moonlighter

we need to revive the secret brother lore

DangerousDan

Ironside

I can pretty confidently say that I would not be as attached to this place as I am without laughs and support from Halfbrood.  Thanks for many good years of fun, big HB

ive seen the tattoo

VanillaPudding

I've seen the photo...

Halfbrood always had an uncanny ability to bring the mystical (mistcal?) to life really well, whether it was on his old order clerics or as a DM. He has a great sense of humor that both brings depth  but also provides the appropriate level of entertainment to our server in a different way, often at the "speed of horse".

cmenden

Bearic