The Menace Below - Sand Maws

Started by EvilResearchGroup, November 06, 2023, 03:46:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilResearchGroup

The Menace Below – Sand Maws

A premier on the threat of Sand Maws, an unusual threat found in the wide deserts.

Foreword:
This text is dedicated to the ongoing efforts of Sandstone College to deliver the finest education possible to up and comers in the academic community of Ephia's Well.

Premise:
The Sand Maw is an unusual creature that remains completely buried in the sands of the the Great Ash Desert but is still able to not only attack but engulf unwary prey on the surface. I will recount my harrowing experience with one for the edification of future scholars, who might go on to survive and potentially save their companions some troubles when facing such a threat.

To me, much is unknown about the Sand Maw. Its size must be at least larger than a man, for I witnessed such a creature capture and seemingly devour a hobgoblin whole. I imagine its other senses, such as vision and possibly intelligence, are atrophied as a result of living underground. During the encounter it made no sort of contact I would recognize as intelligent.

The Sand Maw is a creature that cannot readily travel through air or stone. Therefore, it is possible to earn some defense against this creature despite its unorthodox tactics. Standing on solid features such as large stones, pavers, and structures prevents the Sand Maw from attacking you. Conversely, moving with great haste may prevent the Sand Maw from pursuing you effectively. After covering some ground, the Sand Maw seemingly lost interest in chasing us.

Recognizing a Sand Maw in the vicinity can be difficult. Look for things like local wildlife and your companions getting sucked under the sands. Additionally, Sand Maws will often emit a torrent of sand upwards like a geyser. If you see these tall tale signs, the use of the earlier strategies will be key to your survival.

The following strategies are speculative and should be used only if solid ground and hasted retreat are impossible.

It is believed the creatures use a form of tremor sense, or rather, the ability to feel vibrations in the sands, so they might not be able to easily detect a creature that is perfectly still.

Prayers to Warad may be of some use, but in my experience, the gods are often more inclined to help those who help themselves. Consider donating at a Wheel sign before a trek, or prayers if stuck on a rock.

Sound travels differently through earth than air. Silence might serve you better than you know.

Obviously, being able to fly or teleport is ideal in such a circumstance, but such means are considered beyond the scope of most readers.

Again, the latter strategies are all speculative. Do take care if you encounter such a threat.

Sincerely,

Delmar Miniskos
Student of Sandstone College

I played EFU before it was cool.

EvilResearchGroup

An addendum is sewn into the original work on a slightly differently sized piece of paper.

Subsequent encounters have proven running away to be highly effective. I reluctantly awaited my group who did not seem to understand the danger at hand, and thus, the creature followed us for longer than I would have hoped. They seemed to appreciate me yelling 'RUN' a bit more when the ground repeatedly shook as we traveled through some tunnels.

It seems most of the populace is ignorant to the dangers sand maws represent in spite of what I assumed the literacy and popularity of my book would elicit. I believe I will be unfortunately required to make some more public warning about this, though given how much I am forced to spend on licenses and fines already I doubt the city needs the treasury increased further.
I played EFU before it was cool.