To Majordomo Siursum avak Res - The Water Tithe [DM]

Started by WriterX, January 01, 2024, 09:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WriterX

To the esteemed Majordomo Siursum avak Res,

I try not to write without need to anybody close to the Sultan, as many matters that come forth are specific to Ephia's Well, and if something that could impact the Sultanate arises, we have the aid of your advisors and aides to resolve them.

Ever since I was given the honor of acting as the Well's Legate, and later when I was re-elected twice, I strived to maintain the Well's unity and also to foster its growth. It was not always a simple task, and many challenges would be cast before me, but I continued with my duty, as would be expected of me.

Yet this matter is of a different sort, for it concerns our Water tithe to Baz'eel. I was informed that my predecessor, Legate Zaniah, whose position I superseded after her unfortunate demise, had opted to donate all the previously unallocated Waters to the Sultanate. My Scribes did not inform me of this until about a month ago, when I wished to finally expand the Well to offer the refugees and new arrivals of our city a living space where they would feel safer than outside the Gate of Roses, where they are often left to fend for themselves.

My intent, my charge, is to protect these people, and while the construction of the district may be a task that will take many months to complete, it is one that must begin as soon as possible. With every storm and every raid, those whom we have strived to protect shrink in numbers, and it continues to anger me greatly, for we are unable to fully stop this from happening.

As such, the building of the new district at the Sand Gate shall require new defenses, housing, and so forth. The design and project are still ongoing, naturally, but it will be my most ambitious project, considering its scale and expenses.

Because of this, it is my humble hope that Her Royal Highness, Crown Princess Faziima, would approve if the district was named after her, and a statue of her, present above a public fountain, would form the heart and centerpiece of the district. Where people would meet, draw their water, and find respite. A symbol of the Crown Princess' love for her people. Just like her father, our Sublime Sultan, has given many of us hope, so too will she be remembered for doing so in turn.

However, this would not be a simple undertaking. Not only must we make certain that the fountain has sufficient water, but also that the Shade, which would have to be expanded over the district, could guarantee the safety of the people within. If we were to complete the district and lack the water for both the people and their protection, it would all quickly turn to dust.

And so we fall now upon the mercy of the Sultan and his Court, our benefactors and protectors, and their generous natures. We request in this time of hardship for us that you might ask on our behalf if any among the court find themselves requiring less than what is given that part of the tithe might return to the Well that it might grow stronger through this charitable act. The names of those who would do us such honor would be forever inscribed upon Crown Princess Faziima's Fountain in the new district, their generosity recognized as making the monument to her possible.

As a humble servant of the Sultan, I would never make demands of his Court or courtiers, but as we draw ever closer to finalizing our plans, I ask that you consider this request.

If you would wish to discuss this matter privately with myself you need only make the call for me, and I shall answer.

Walk with Izdu's wisdom,

Legate Marcellus Saenus