A small dossier for members of the Cabinet [Domhnall, Ricario, Jordan, Akna]

Started by Don Nadie, January 23, 2024, 11:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Nadie

Friends,

We all are aware of the urgency of the situation. There are many using the lives of these poor people as props in their own, cruel plays. The matter of what transpired at the Gate of Roses is muddled at best and the truth, ultimately, less important than the optics: everyone believes the Rossans are not above it. We must cut through the noise and find ways to aid the refugees. Much as one may hate the people who are using the dead and the needy as props in their own political theater.

I have talked with Akna. The plans to use the Arena are untenable: not only is it the Gold's property, we also do not have the means to enforce such a seizure of assets. (Yes, the Banda Rossa will offer to enforce any seizure. But let us remember that when Rossand and Jannisaries battle in the streets, it is the vulnerable that suffer most.) What's worse, one can expect the inevitable accident (or sabotage) of lions rampaging amidst the refugees. It's bound to be messy.

The two main ideas we came with were:

-Take the properties in the Well, empty as they are, and use them to house people. There aren't enough houses for everyone, that much is certain, but if a significant number of them can be housed by using all property, perhaps that helps? On this, we'll need to discuss with the Chief Scribe.

-Tlonsiyya. As you may remember, they need laborers. It is not great work, digging the Arteries, but it is a living. And I presume many will prefer that to squalor and hunger. If it comes to pass, we should make sure the refugees know what to expect, and that those who go, choose to do so freely. I would also suggest making it some rotatory system, so that no laborer stays there overlong... I do not think it'd be good for their lungs.

I have taken the liberty of drafting an address for the Vice-Chancellor. It'll be best if its signed by the Legates.

We'll keep in touch.

Yours,

Alejandro

[Another letter, a draft, is folded within the first dossier]

Hide
Esteemed Vice-Chancellor Oruko,

The city of Ephia's Well hopes that this letter finds you in good health and cheerful spirit. We lamment that the rummors of your visit have failed yet to materialize, and wait with batted breath for your arrivals. Many have heard rumors of the wonders of the Arteries and the grand achievements of the Silver Madrassa, and look forward to travel being open so as to gaze upon Tlonsiyya's glories with their own eyes. 

In meantime, however, we are hoping to increase commercial relationships and aid one-another. According to our envoys, you mentioned that your fair city lacked for laborers, sturdy hands whose work may add yet more shimmering wonders to your city. As it happens, our Well continues to receive a steady influx of refugees, many of whom would no doubt wish to find employment in Tlonsiyya.

Perhaps an arrangement can be reached, at least in the matter of free travel, for the betterment of both of our cities.

With the warmest regards, and in the hopes of seeing you soon,

[close]

One_With_Nature

Alejandro my friend,

Thank you for your message, I will make time to speak with you tomorrow on this matter prior to the league meeting which I can sadly not attend.

I am committed to resolving this as swiftly as possible and the refugees must take priority even if it means we must make some sacrifices.

Let us speak more of this in person.

Regards,

Legate Ricario Cassella 

DONT PANIC

Riccario,

The Stadium plan is not tenable. I think I have an idea for solving this, but you're not going to love it. I will tell you of it in person tomorrow.

Jordan

One_With_Nature

Alejandro,

When time allows perhaps you can seek me at my office to discuss the matter of Tlonsiyya, we should address this sooner rather then later less opportunity slips us by.

Regards,

Ricario

Don Nadie

Ricario,

Let's try to meet soon, yes. Maybe today, if all goes well? Would be good to catch up - and I also owe you a full report on the depths.

Yours,

Alejandro